Re: Vons Coronado Fire

Post by storewanderer »

Time for the new store to open.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: June 29th, 2018, 10:31 pm Time for the new store to open.
It will be interesting to see what they do. It is a small store, but all the stores on Coronado are small. It is also the only full-service supermarket unless you count Smart and Final Extra, which I don't.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote: June 30th, 2018, 6:47 am
It will be interesting to see what they do. It is a small store, but all the stores on Coronado are small. It is also the only full-service supermarket unless you count Smart and Final Extra, which I don't.
A small fire limited to a motor in the basement and a transformer explosion exterior to the store... Save for smoke & water damage, It's a safe bet this store will be restored. The store was last remodeled in 2009.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ssbn737rm ... 2510047970
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Might be a good opportunity for Albertsons to get its (nicer) store back from Smart & Final Extra. Smart & Final's stock keeps falling. It may be time to sell some stores back to Albertsons that would work better as real conventional stores.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: July 1st, 2018, 12:09 am
Might be a good opportunity for Albertsons to get its (nicer) store back from Smart & Final Extra. Smart & Final's stock keeps falling. It may be time to sell some stores back to Albertsons that would work better as real conventional stores.
That WOULD be nice. Not to mention there is room to expand. However, there would be a huge to-do if they tried to expand that former Lucky/Albertsons and another to-do if they closed the VONS. (Think of the senior citizens, storewanderer, think of the seniors! Never mind they are wealthy and have cars and/or drivers!)

On the other hand, the mid-century VONS would look great with the upscale decor package they are putting in Pavilions and the new Clark/Division Jewel. Coronado is wealthy enough to support a more upscale store.
submariner

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 7:57 pm On the other hand, the mid-century VONS would look great with the upscale decor package they are putting in Pavilions and the new Clark/Division Jewel. Coronado is wealthy enough to support a more upscale store.
The Lifestyle remodel of 2009 Supports your opinion. Negative opinions aside about that package, Coronado *did* get a top-shelf version of the package, with respect given to the extremely limited square footage of the store. I like the Pavilions decor, but I'm worried it would look too oversized in the store. Whatever happens, I think it will work out.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

submariner wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 8:06 pm
rwsandiego wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 7:57 pm On the other hand, the mid-century VONS would look great with the upscale decor package they are putting in Pavilions and the new Clark/Division Jewel. Coronado is wealthy enough to support a more upscale store.
The Lifestyle remodel of 2009 Supports your opinion. Negative opinions aside about that package, Coronado *did* get a top-shelf version of the package, with respect given to the extremely limited square footage of the store....
I liked it too. In 2009. :)
submariner wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 8:06 pm...I like the Pavilions decor, but I'm worried it would look too oversized in the store. Whatever happens, I think it will work out.
Yeah, I don't think they will go "cheap" on Coronado.
klkla

Post by klkla »

The problem with Coronado isn't wealth per se. It's population density. There isn't a large enough population to support a store that is too labor intensive.

The other problem is that a large percentage of the population has access to the military commissary.