Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Post by Brian Lutz »

A couple of days ago I saw the lowercase lettering being used on the Tukwila WA Target store across from Southcenter Mall. It looks like that store has been recently remodeled as well, I didn't get a chance to go in, but the exterior appeared similar to that of the Fullerton store shown previously.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 19th, 2018, 8:46 am I also recently saw the lowercase lettering on a Target sign in Morgan Hill CA, next to the 101 freeway.
It's also on the Target a bit farther south in Gilroy.

My local target (Duarte, CA) recently got the full interior remodel, but so far they haven't changed the exterior signage. They also got rid of the snack bar; now all that's left is a Starbuck's.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I see that my local (Lake Stevens) Target is currently in the early stages of a remodel now. If I recall correctly that store (which is a bit on the smaller side) already had a Starbucks instead of a snack bar.
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

J-Man wrote: August 4th, 2018, 9:19 am
Brian Lutz wrote: June 19th, 2018, 8:46 am I also recently saw the lowercase lettering on a Target sign in Morgan Hill CA, next to the 101 freeway.
It's also on the Target a bit farther south in Gilroy.

My local target (Duarte, CA) recently got the full interior remodel, but so far they haven't changed the exterior signage. They also got rid of the snack bar; now all that's left is a Starbuck's.
That exact same thing happened at the one closest to me in Sacramento(Fulton and Alta Arden)
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The lower case font is also used on the sign in front of Prescott, AZ store @Pioneer Village. The front of the store has been remodeled and has just the Bullseye, no accompanying lettering
Super S

Post by Super S »

I didn't stop in, but noticed the freeway sign at the Target at Keizer ( just north of Salem, Oregon) has been updated to the lower case logo.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

As this has been going around some retail discussion outlets as of late, I would like to share my comments on this change at Target.

To clarify my opinion, I honestly dislike this change to Target’s branding. This new logo of theirs just makes the brand feel weak and perhaps pivot too much to their urban stores and guests. Additionally, if it ain’t broke, why fix it? While it may get boring after a while, I had no problems with how the uppercase looked to this day. Compared to the new lowercase their standard logo represented a strong image for the chain and problems never persisted from such.

There is great potential and effort displayed with the new era of Target, I will say this. However their stores are just not as straightforward as they once were and I find them making too many odd changes to their stores just not including the hallmark elements that made their chain a successful Walmart competitor.

The wordmark-less facades Target has been using lately (in tandem with lowercase) are also very common and something I’m not really a fan of either. Target’s bullseye is a simple ring with a dot in the middle - with no wording located inside, it’s a brave decision for them to do this across many new/remodeled stores. Imagine if Walmart decided to open some stores with their spark only? Wait, they’ve done just that on their new website…

Target's Twitter support account @AskTarget has stated in two replies that their lowercase wordmark exists to show Target's new ideas in design and experimentation with these stores. The first tweet explains the lowercase wordmark with the goal of promoting “belonging and inclusivity” (simply TGT wanting their stores to have a cozy and inviting feeling in their communities?), while the second tweet references the lowercase in a more experimental fashion.
https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/973636457230368768
https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/991368728829972480

As for local stores; my nearby Targets have not received the lowercase treatment on the main exterior signage, however a SuperTarget in Gainesville, VA features the wordmark on a shopping center sign, despite featuring a full ST sign on the actual facade in uppercase. That store wrapped the full 2017 remodel this spring.

Additionally, while renderings of the logo have not been visible online for some time, recently the Target.com site has featured a small variant of this wordmark at the bottom of the site. This likely means they have officially adopted said branding, however it has not become a staple across the retail world just yet.
Will this last for Target or not? What do you think?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

BatteryMill wrote: October 4th, 2018, 2:25 pm As this has been going around some retail discussion outlets as of late, I would like to share my comments on this change at Target.

To clarify my opinion, I honestly dislike this change to Target’s branding. This new logo of theirs just makes the brand feel weak and perhaps pivot too much to their urban stores and guests. Additionally, if it ain’t broke, why fix it? While it may get boring after a while, I had no problems with how the uppercase looked to this day. Compared to the new lowercase their standard logo represented a strong image for the chain and problems never persisted from such.

There is great potential and effort displayed with the new era of Target, I will say this. However their stores are just not as straightforward as they once were and I find them making too many odd changes to their stores just not including the hallmark elements that made their chain a successful Walmart competitor.

The wordmark-less facades Target has been using lately (in tandem with lowercase) are also very common and something I’m not really a fan of either. Target’s bullseye is a simple ring with a dot in the middle - with no wording located inside, it’s a brave decision for them to do this across many new/remodeled stores. Imagine if Walmart decided to open some stores with their spark only? Wait, they’ve done just that on their new website…

Target's Twitter support account @AskTarget has stated in two replies that their lowercase wordmark exists to show Target's new ideas in design and experimentation with these stores. The first tweet explains the lowercase wordmark with the goal of promoting “belonging and inclusivity” (simply TGT wanting their stores to have a cozy and inviting feeling in their communities?), while the second tweet references the lowercase in a more experimental fashion.
https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/973636457230368768
https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/991368728829972480

My guess is that the logo change is tied to their remodeling program. When stores get remodeled, they get the new logo. Sort of a way to tell customers that there's something new and fresh going on inside the store. Starbucks did this when they were remodeling stores some years ago. Newly remodeled stores got the mermaid logo without the Starbucks wording. Walmart also did this as the star was added only to remodeled stores as well.

As for local stores; my nearby Targets have not received the lowercase treatment on the main exterior signage, however a SuperTarget in Gainesville, VA features the wordmark on a shopping center sign, despite featuring a full ST sign on the actual facade in uppercase. That store wrapped the full 2017 remodel this spring.

Additionally, while renderings of the logo have not been visible online for some time, recently the Target.com site has featured a small variant of this wordmark at the bottom of the site. This likely means they have officially adopted said branding, however it has not become a staple across the retail world just yet.
Will this last for Target or not? What do you think?
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

babs wrote: October 4th, 2018, 3:44 pm My guess is that the logo change is tied to their remodeling program. When stores get remodeled, they get the new logo. Sort of a way to tell customers that there's something new and fresh going on inside the store. Starbucks did this when they were remodeling stores some years ago. Newly remodeled stores got the mermaid logo without the Starbucks wording. Walmart also did this as the star was added only to remodeled stores as well.
It sure is, pretty much every majorly-remodeled store features this design now. While it is a new change, to me how Target implements it just looks tacky and low-effort. Previous remodels either simply refreshed the classic facades or provided more complete implementations of their respective eras. That being said, the new lowercase is used more often on shopping center signage and on Greatland/SuperTarget-design stores. The regular big-boxes generally opt for a solo bullseye, something which I am not too keen on either.
Overall, there is a difference as to implementations of new logos. Some are very wide, immediate and cover just about the entire chain - Burger King (back in the day with their current one), Cricket Wireless, and a few others are examples. Meanwhile stores like Walmart, Giant-MD/Stop & Shop implemented new signage only upon remodels or at random points down the line for unremodeled locations.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

New Target at Preston Center in Dallas which uses lower case font extensively: https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... enter.html

I will try to drop by this store and follow up with a review sometime in the next few days. It will be interesting to see if the small-format concept works in Dallas, typically a primarily car-driven city.