Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018: Openings and Closings

Post by arizonaguy »

It looks like there's a very nice Safeway in Bellevue that was just renovated with the Florida decor not far from this store.

I'm sure that the renovation of the Bellevue store had to play a factor into the decision to close this one.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Factoria was originally one of the Pay 'n Save mall developments, with a Pay 'n Save store on one side and an Ernst Hardware (where the Old Navy is now) on the other, with a Lamonts in between. From what I understand the mall is going to get a major redevelopment along the lines of what happened to Totem Lake in Kirkland, although I don't know the timeframe. There's a Target in the back (connected to the mall, which is rather odd for a Target) and a Walmart on the south side of the property where the Mervyn's used to be (not connected to the mall.) Much of what was in between remained empty for a lot of years.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Brian Lutz wrote: October 16th, 2018, 9:03 am Factoria was originally one of the Pay 'n Save mall developments, with a Pay 'n Save store on one side and an Ernst Hardware (where the Old Navy is now) on the other, with a Lamonts in between. From what I understand the mall is going to get a major redevelopment along the lines of what happened to Totem Lake in Kirkland, although I don't know the timeframe. There's a Target in the back (connected to the mall, which is rather odd for a Target) and a Walmart on the south side of the property where the Mervyn's used to be (not connected to the mall.) Much of what was in between remained empty for a lot of years.
A Target connected to the mall isn't all that odd. I know of several: Mall 205 in Portland (former Montgomery Ward), The Commons at Federal Way (which replaced a nearby store several years back), South Hill Mall in Puyallup. The store at Lakewood Town Center also once had an entrance to the now-gone enclosed mall, and the old Target at Jantzen Beach also opened into the mall (this was also a former Montgomery Ward, the current store replaced it when the old mall was demolished)

What IS odd is the fact that there is a Walmart and a Target in the same center, although Vancouver, WA has a Target that shares the shopping center with a Walmart Neighborhood Market which is in part of a former WinCo.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: October 16th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: October 16th, 2018, 9:03 am Factoria was originally one of the Pay 'n Save mall developments, with a Pay 'n Save store on one side and an Ernst Hardware (where the Old Navy is now) on the other, with a Lamonts in between. From what I understand the mall is going to get a major redevelopment along the lines of what happened to Totem Lake in Kirkland, although I don't know the timeframe. There's a Target in the back (connected to the mall, which is rather odd for a Target) and a Walmart on the south side of the property where the Mervyn's used to be (not connected to the mall.) Much of what was in between remained empty for a lot of years.
A Target connected to the mall isn't all that odd. I know of several: Mall 205 in Portland (former Montgomery Ward), The Commons at Federal Way (which replaced a nearby store several years back), South Hill Mall in Puyallup. The store at Lakewood Town Center also once had an entrance to the now-gone enclosed mall, and the old Target at Jantzen Beach also opened into the mall (this was also a former Montgomery Ward, the current store replaced it when the old mall was demolished)...
The Targets at Golf Mill (Niles, Illinois outside of Chicago), Grossmont Plaza (LaMesa, CA outside of San Diego), Mission Valley Center (San Diego), and Westfield North County (Escondido, CA outside of San Diego) all have mall entrances.
Brian Lutz wrote: October 16th, 2018, 9:03 am...What IS odd is the fact that there is a Walmart and a Target in the same center, although Vancouver, WA has a Target that shares the shopping center with a Walmart Neighborhood Market which is in part of a former WinCo.
While I agree it is not common, Grossmont has both a Target (former Bullocks) and a Walmart (former Wards).
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Target has been in Factoria for far longer than Walmart has, and is a fairly recent addition to the mall. It's definitely on the small side for a Walmart store (about 70k square feet) and I don't believe it's considered to be a Supercenter store. They probably could have built a Supercenter store if they wanted to, since they opened a Neighborhood Market store in part of what used to be a KMart store (which sat vacant for 12+ years before the center was redeveloped) and would have had enough space for it. Instead they opted to open two separate stores and take only a portion of the former KMart. Given the real estate market in Bellevue I suspect opportunities to build from scratch were basically nonexistent, and even if they could they would likely have run into significant political opposition (even the stores they did manage to build ran into attempts to block them.)
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Brian Lutz wrote: October 17th, 2018, 7:31 am Target has been in Factoria for far longer than Walmart has, and is a fairly recent addition to the mall. It's definitely on the small side for a Walmart store (about 70k square feet) and I don't believe it's considered to be a Supercenter store. They probably could have built a Supercenter store if they wanted to, since they opened a Neighborhood Market store in part of what used to be a KMart store (which sat vacant for 12+ years before the center was redeveloped) and would have had enough space for it. Instead they opted to open two separate stores and take only a portion of the former KMart. Given the real estate market in Bellevue I suspect opportunities to build from scratch were basically nonexistent, and even if they could they would likely have run into significant political opposition (even the stores they did manage to build ran into attempts to block them.)
Walmart's store at Factoria was a former Mervyn's. You can even tell this from the facade of the store, which was left largely intact.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

pseudo3d wrote: October 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm Walmart's store at Factoria was a former Mervyn's. You can even tell this from the facade of the store, which was left largely intact.
Yes it was. It spent several years vacant after the Mervyn's store closed before Walmart took over the space.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Another closure to add: Acme in Park Hill, NJ (former A&P)
Super S

Post by Super S »

Super S wrote: May 9th, 2018, 8:30 am
Super S wrote: April 15th, 2018, 10:09 pm
rwsandiego wrote: April 15th, 2018, 7:46 pm
The listing that states the store is off-market lists the store as having been built in 1994. Someone mentioned Safeway took over from another grocer, so perhaps 1986 is when the building was built. It is surprising that they displayed an outdated picture.
A quick Google search found an article from 1996 that mentions the store. It looks like 1994 is correct. I remember seeing it under construction shortly after moving to Vancouver that year. Ironically the shopping center to the west has a Chuck's Produce store in the former G.I. Joe's space at the other end.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/st ... tory5.html
The Columbian has an article today hinting at the store's closure:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2018/may/ ... lose-soon/

What I do find interesting though is that Safeway declined to comment for the story, and has yet to make an official closing announcement. Makes me wonder what the real plans are here.
It's now official: Safeway at 136th & Mill Plain is closing:
https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/oct ... ose-dec-1/
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Bloodbath of Texas closures to add:

Randalls - 5800 New Territory Blvd, Sugar Land
Randalls - 2075 Westheimer Rd, Houston
Randalls - 9420 College Park Dr, The Woodlands
Tom Thumb - 2600 Flower Mound Rd, Flower Mound