Recent Fred Meyer remodels

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Recent Fred Meyer remodels

Post by Brian Lutz »

If I understand properly, Fred Meyer tends to do major remodels on their stores roughly once every ten years,and the Totem Lake store currently has one of these major remodels in progress. If I recall from posts on the other board, this store opened around 1980, and was the first purpose-build Fred Meyer in the Seattle metro area (all the others were from acquisitions.)

Among other things, they have taken over the space they previously leased out to other businesses (I believe they arranged to move them all to new locations so none closed,) and are expanding the store into that space. Things are still well underway for construction and the store is a bit of a mess right now, but perhaps the most interesting change is that they have moved the electronics department out of the separate area it's located in, and into a portion of the main sales floor, which is the first time I've seen that in a Fred Meyer. Does anyone know of any other locations that have been set up like this? I would have to imagine this is relatively new.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like they may also be working to add gas in this location, but I can't tell for sure. Most Fred Meyers here still don't have gas, but I have seen them adding it to existing locations.

Has anyone seen any other recent Fred Meyer remodels whyo can tell me if they've seen similar changes?
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Recent Fred Meyer remodels

Post by tesg »

The new (well...about a year and a half old) Smith's Marketplace in Lehi, UT (which is a Fred Meyer in all but name) still had a separate space for the electronics department up front, just like they'd been doing it for years.

Your example is the first I've heard of them doing this.
Super S

Post by Super S »

There are other locations that have taken over space leased to other businesses, mainly late 70s-early 80s builds. Some take over only part of these, such as the Vancouver, WA Mill Plain store. Others, such as the Longview store, take over ALL of the space. In the case of the Longview store, there was a laundromat and another small store which did not relocate, just closed. It varies by location.

As for the electronics department, they might have done that temporarily while the department is being gutted for new ceilings etc. I have visited some recently remodeled Fred Meyer stores in Portland, and all still have the department in a traditional area.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Super S wrote:There are other locations that have taken over space leased to other businesses, mainly late 70s-early 80s builds. Some take over only part of these, such as the Vancouver, WA Mill Plain store. Others, such as the Longview store, take over ALL of the space. In the case of the Longview store, there was a laundromat and another small store which did not relocate, just closed. It varies by location.

As for the electronics department, they might have done that temporarily while the department is being gutted for new ceilings etc. I have visited some recently remodeled Fred Meyer stores in Portland, and all still have the department in a traditional area.
There's a new build Fred Meyer that opened last year in Lynwood that still has the enclosed electronics department, so I'm guessing this non-enclosed department is a relatively new thing. And I have seen the electronics temporarily relocated in other Fred Meyers during remodels, but based on the appearance and decor that has been put up in this area it's pretty clear it's intended to be a permanent setup.

I'll have to grab a couple of pictures next time I'm over there, but I don't get out that way too often.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

New build Fred Meyer in Lynwood? Where is this store?

The (very) limited electronics departments in the Frys Marketplace Stores all got moved out of the small front alcoves that FM had them in and out into the main store area.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

storewanderer wrote:New build Fred Meyer in Lynwood? Where is this store?

The (very) limited electronics departments in the Frys Marketplace Stores all got moved out of the small front alcoves that FM had them in and out into the main store area.
The Fred Meyer in Lynnwood is about a mile north of Alderwood Mall at the corner of 164th and Alderwood Mall Parkway. You can see the backside of the store from Highway 525.

Based on the current appearance of the store it's hard to tell what's being done where right now, but if I had to guess I'd say that it looks like the front part of the store where the old electronics department and the leased space used to be is going to be turned into the new clothing department. It appears they've already moved the pharmacy and the Playland into that area as well. There were signs up near the entrances indicating that clothing has been temporarily removed from the store during the remodel, and is not expected to return for a couple of months.

I also found an article in the local paper with a bit more info on the remodel:

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/east_king/k ... 83539.html
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Has anyone ever managed to snap any photographs of the Totem Lake Freddy's in its original 1980 guise?

~Ben