Special Value items at Haggen/Top

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Special Value items at Haggen/Top

Post by storewanderer »

I've been to a few Top Stores and see large endcap displays of Special Value (Unified generic) items. I do not recall seeing Haggen stock items from Unified in the past. I thought maybe they are changing suppliers from TopCo to Unified.

However in looking at other parts of the store they appear to be rolling out some new private label packaging under the Haggen Classics or something name, using an older looking Haggen logo. I saw this specifically on their entire line of private label peanuts. I also saw some Food Club items.

So it is hard to tell what they are doing.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Special Value items at Haggen/Top

Post by Brian Lutz »

I believe the name is Haggen's Original, and it seems to have been rolled out as part of the rebranding campaign being applied to turn Top Foods stores into Haggen stores.
storewanderer

Re: Special Value items at Haggen/Top

Post by storewanderer »

Are any other Top Stores currently undergoing conversion? I've been to 5 Top Stores in the past two weeks and saw no signs of anything. I saw lots of other things. Reduced store hours. Closed and/or walled off perimeter departments (hot food non-chinese or pharmacy) in multiple stores. Employees not wearing uniforms in multiple stores. They just don't feel healthy to me.

I don't know what to make of this chain. They have very nice stores, albeit dated looking, and some of the best quality fresh items I've found at any grocer anywhere. Their center store selection is also excellent, but their pricing is way off on center store.

And they seem to process credit card transactions differently at every store. All of my purchases were under the $25 amount and in Olympia no merchant copy of anything printed nor was I asked to sign anything. In Lacey a merchant copy printed that they took and crumpled up and threw into the trash below the counter without asking me to sign anything, a procedure I have seen in some of the Haggen Stores north of Seattle as well. In Auburn at Auburn Way a merchant copy printed and was placed in the cash drawer by the cashier without my being asked to sign it. In Kent and Auburn-Lake Tapps I was asked to sign the slip. They all appeared to be using the same registers, but I saw three different pinpad types in some cases different pinpad types at different checkstands in the same store.