Chick-Fil-A poised to become third largest fast food chain by sales in US

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Chick-Fil-A poised to become third largest fast food chain by sales in US

Post by Brian Lutz »

WSJ article (Paywalled): https://www.wsj.com/articles/chick-fil- ... 1557313200

Non-paywalled Inc article: https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/kf ... shing.html

A couple of articles out today about Chick-Fil-A's recent growth, which has now put them as the third largest fast food chain in the US by sales, behind McDonald's and Starbucks in spite of frequent protests and the fact that they only operate six days a week. It's been a few years since Chick-Fil-A moved into the Seattle area and although the crowds from when they first opened have thinned out a bit I know the locations here remain busy a lot of the time.

Unsurpisingly, much of Chick-Fil-A's growth has come at the expense of KFC, whose decline in market share is shockingly close to Chick-Fil-A's increase.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Chick-Fil-A poised to become third largest fast food chain by sales in US

Post by jamcool »

Maybe because KFC is increasingly awful. Kentucky Dried Chicken is a better word for it nowadays, with too many limited time offers and new “sides”.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I never quite saw Chick-Fil-A as a direct competitor to KFC. You can't easily go to Chick-Fil-A and buy a large spread of food to throw out in front of a large group the way you can at KFC.

I think what ate into KFC was, as has been pointed out here, lousy quality over the years. Dirty locations with unfriendly employees, high pricing, dried out food, confused menus, this is a chain that really lost its way over the years. Fried chicken is such a commodity type food available in many supermarkets and even in some cases gas stations, often times with quality as good or better than KFC. KFC really had a good thing going in the 90's; their locations were packed with lines steady all night (lunch was always a little harder for them). Now they are morgues.

Chick-Fil-A strikes me more as a place that takes a little bit of business from every fast food place around it (KFC included). It takes a little from the surrounding McDonalds. A little from the surrounding KFC, yes that too. Serving hot food and having pleasant employees sure goes a long ways with an otherwise meh product.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Chick Fil A seems slow to expand in Florida but they are, slowly but surely. It seems they manage their locations well, at least I haven't heard any bad ones. I haven't been to one in about 10 years but definitely better than KFC.

KFC in this area hasn't been so great. The location in the next town was very old, had sticky floors and rude employees. The food was either burned or dried out. No wonder the parking lot was always empty when it was open. lol

The location here is much better, but still has issues. We never went that often but I did start again several years ago when they started sending good coupons. After that I would get their $5 Fill Ups on the weekend once in a while, but last time the chicken tasted totally off and I haven't been back. They don't have a location on this end of town so that doesn't make them an option during the work week for me, and generally if I eat out during the weekend I prefer a healthier option anyway. Or at least one that's a little nicer.

For me, nobody can beat Publix Deli fried chicken when it's fresh, hot and crunchy. A side of potato wedges and it's good to go!
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Chick-fil-A takes pride in friendly employees and high standards. They pay their employees more and it shows. The employees are friendly and are very enthusiastic. The food is prepared to a higher standard and you never get dried out chicken like at KFC.

KFC pays their employees so little that you have a high rate of employees quitting or calling out sick often. Their restaurants are understaffed, and there is low morale.

If you want to be successful you have to spend money to make money. You have to invest in better pay, better standards, and better quality food.

Chick-fil-A really knows how to keep their customers happy and keep their own employees happy too.