Jack In The Box major remodel

Super S

Jack In The Box major remodel

Post by Super S »

I drove by the Jack In The Box in Longview, WA yesterday, and noticed that the restaurant was closed, and the lot was fenced off. A major remodel has started, they have completely removed the entire "false front" exposing all the rooftop mounted equipment, and it looks like the interior is being gutted. This is one of the oldest Jack In The Box locations in the area, and very likely the oldest in Southwest Washington, having been built in 1978. It almost justifies a complete rebuild, but it appears they are just extensively renovating the existing building. The remodel was overdue...the building has had some updates over the years but lately has been showing its age.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Jack In The Box major remodel

Post by rwsandiego »

They did the same at the Jack in the Box on Van Buren and 16th in Phoenix. If memory serves correctly they re-opened the drive-through before the entire building was finished.

Last I was in San Diego, two of the original outdoor seating only Jack in the Box restaurants are still standing. One is at El Cajon Blvd and Kansas Street and the other is at Washington and Front Streets.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know the Broadway Jack in the Box in Everett (which also appears to have been a fairly old location) got remodeled recently, but I rarely if ever eat there so I don't know what it looks like inside. I also know that a couple of Jack in the Box locations in Bellevue (the Downtown one and the Overlake one) recently closed down. The Downtown one appears to be a permanent closure, but the Overlake location shows as being closed for remodeling. The Downtown Bellevue one dates back to 1968 and had no drive thru, and I'm guessing that with the recent building boom in Downtown it got to the point where they can get more money for the land than they could by keeping the restaurant open.

The Broadway Jack in the Box in Everett is also next door to a Taco Bell that got torn down and is currently in the process of being rebuilt, which it badly needed. It may have been one of the worst Taco Bells I''ve seen.
klkla

Post by klkla »

rwsandiego wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 8:30 pmLast I was in San Diego, two of the original outdoor seating only Jack in the Box restaurants are still standing. One is at El Cajon Blvd and Kansas Street and the other is at Washington and Front Streets.
It's interesting that there are any of those left. Is the Jack in the Box HQ still in San Diego?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 4:03 pm
rwsandiego wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 8:30 pmLast I was in San Diego, two of the original outdoor seating only Jack in the Box restaurants are still standing. One is at El Cajon Blvd and Kansas Street and the other is at Washington and Front Streets.
It's interesting that there are any of those left. Is the Jack in the Box HQ still in San Diego?
It sure is! So is their innovation lab.

Those two locations are very busy, but the lots are small, so there is no room to expand. Both are in very dense areas of the city and there is no available land nearby to build on.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 4:03 pm
[/quote]

Aren't there still some walk up In N Outs in Orange County too?

If these walk up locations can get enough customers, I can see how it makes a lot of sense to keep them in these limited locations. Much lower overhead costs than a full service restaurant, lower labor costs, lower equipment costs (only need one soda machine, no self serve counters, etc.), lower utility costs, etc.

Wendy's actually built a location like this down in Carmichael, CA at 4625 Manzanita Ave. back in the early 00's on a small lot and I think it was some kind of a test (was a corporate operated Wendy's) and it was open for a while but ultimately it closed. I see Dutch Bros. took it over. Dutch Bros. is very successful with this format of no interior service and drive through/walk up patio only here in Nevada.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

A couple of In N Out locations come to mind: The Bristol Street location in Santa Ana which has a single drive-thru lane and a walk-up counter with some outdoor patio seating, and the Lambert Street location with a walk-up counter, two drive-thru lanes and a patio.

La Habra:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/In-N- ... 17.9236841

Santa Ana (it appears that this one will be getting expanded soon, but will continue to be a drive-thru/walk-up location):
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7521762 ... 384!8i8192
klkla

Post by klkla »

North Hollywood, too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.177351, ... 384!8i8192

If you pan to the right you will notice they have to use traffic control features because that drive through is so busy.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Here is an article about the remodel in Longview with a picture of the renovated building:

https://tdn.com/news/local/refreshed-lo ... op-story-1

The drive-thru is open already.