Post by babs »

It's being turned into a sports club of sorts called Fieldhouse:
https://auburnexaminer.com/the-former-s ... ew-tenant/
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Fry’s Electronics on Life Support

Post by bryceleinan »

Fry’s is a hot mess, especially Wilsonville. I wound up driving around the corner for a computer because Fry’s was out of most systems. Shelves were empty too. I think Micro Center would do well if they located in the same markets as Fry’s (if Fry’s does declare bankruptcy as is the rumor). There are plenty of smaller locations MC could go into.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Microcenter seems to be very selective as to where they open locations. I didn't realize it but they only have 25 stores nationwide. I'm lucky that I have a Microcenter store near me. They are competitively priced and have the products that I am looking for. They avoid me having to mail order computer hardware, parts and accessories. I'd hate to see Microcenter go on a mass expansion and destroy what they are. But if Fry's were to implode Microcenter could cherry pick a few locations in the west and southwest where they do not currently have any operations.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

mjhale wrote: July 18th, 2019, 6:02 am Microcenter seems to be very selective as to where they open locations. I didn't realize it but they only have 25 stores nationwide. I'm lucky that I have a Microcenter store near me. They are competitively priced and have the products that I am looking for. They avoid me having to mail order computer hardware, parts and accessories. I'd hate to see Microcenter go on a mass expansion and destroy what they are. But if Fry's were to implode Microcenter could cherry pick a few locations in the west and southwest where they do not currently have any operations.
Micro Center is EXCESSIVELY selective about locations. As an example, Houston has 3 Fry's stores in the market, but only one Micro Center. Micro Center is a small company; there are only 25 stores total. Fry's has a lot of other fluff in their stores, like appliances and home goods that Micro Center does not carry. Micro Center is computers and TV's only.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to my local Fry's today in Concord, California. It was shocking. The shelves were empty in many places and it looked like the store was in a liquidation sale. There was one cashier and a long line on a Saturday night.

The blu-ray and dvd section was very small. There were very few video games left. There were only a small number of computers left for sale. The monitor display was gone. They had a small number of monitors in boxes. If I had to guess, the company is about to close down without actually admitting it.

Perhaps Fry's wants to become an internet only e-commerce website. The company is touting its one day delivery.

I do not know what is going on, but it was never this bad even a few years ago. It was bustling with customers and employees just a few years ago, and the shelves were fully stocked with merchandise. Now, there are only a few employees left in the entire store.

The world has changed. People are shopping online for the best prices, and getting free shipping via Amazon Prime or Walmart.com. Fry's used to be the place where you could just walk in and get any electronic component right away. They even matched internet prices. You were guaranteed the lowest prices. Now, you cannot even get the most basic of items, because they are running low on stock. There were some things that were in large supply: candy and bottled drinks. They might as well become a convenience store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Duluth, GA store has closed without much notice.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Palo Alto store is closing in January at the end of its lease.

This fits the pattern. Their stores are not restocking most items. Once, everything sells out, they will probably close them all. Their employees are quitting like crazy, and the stores are understaffed. You will not find any helpful employees as they all know their jobs could come to an end very soon.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Las Vegas today. We asked about hard drives. They said they had none in stock.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looking at those Las Vegas photos, how does it even make sense to continue keeping the lights on (literally) in the stores?

I'm impressed that they seem to have sold down entire categories 100%. Usually there are some scraps that nobody takes.

At least they have balloons?
Super S

Post by Super S »

That store doesn't look healthy. Reminds me of the low stock conditions at Sears/Kmart these days.