Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Post by wnetmacman »

cjd wrote: July 28th, 2019, 7:11 am I follow Publix and Winn Dixie on Facebook, and some of the Winn Dixie. In the last week I saw where they are adding a Taproom with craft beer, wine and coffee in their stores. I don't get the point of these gimmicks. Are people really going to go to the store just to sit at a little bar? Will they even have enough employees to continue staffing it?

I just don't get the point of spending resources to add this, when they have bigger problems across the chain.
This has always been WD's M.O.: make a few stores real showplaces, and ignore the rest of the fleet until business drops, then half-heartedly remodel and clean those stores enough to raise business. Nothing new here.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

wnetmacman wrote: July 30th, 2019, 11:05 amThis has always been WD's M.O.: make a few stores real showplaces, and ignore the rest of the fleet until business drops, then half-heartedly remodel and clean those stores enough to raise business. Nothing new here.
Yeah it is really like the early 2000s when they had so many neglected pre-Marketplace era stores that still had the 80s chrome and neon decor package. So they did a widespread 'remodel' of them by simply painting the walls and adding new department and aisle signage and that was it. A very few lucky stores got new refrigeration, checkout lanes, flooring and bakery/deli displays during those remodels, but it was rare.

Then you had around 2009-2012 when they were doing the Transformational remodels and making a big deal that it was going to change the chain and turn them around. They were very nice stores, but I bet they never got more than 15 of them remodeled or built with that format. After the sale to Bi-Lo that stopped. If they could remodel every store to that style and bring up the service, they could have been competitive. But it was far too expensive.

I will say when they did the post-bankruptcy remodels starting in 2008, most of those were very thorough and they managed to get a lot of those done. Some of the late ones that they did in the Marketplace stores were basically repaints, but the rest got full redos. They even moved the doors from the front left corner over to the produce department, with wood flooring which made for a much nicer first impression. I never liked the way the doors were set up on the 80s Winn Dixies, where you entered facing a row of checkouts and had to walk past all those to get to the first department.

The recent "red" remodels are reminicent of those early 2000s cheap remodels though in a lot of the stores. Basically just a repaint and new letters. There are some more in depth ones out there. I guess you have to give them credit for trying to get them all updated at least. Surprisingly some of the Transformational stores which are all less than 10 years old have already gotten the "red" interior which is strange to me.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

wnetmacman wrote: July 30th, 2019, 11:05 am This has always been WD's M.O.: make a few stores real showplaces, and ignore the rest of the fleet until business drops, then half-heartedly remodel and clean those stores enough to raise business. Nothing new here.
I have noticed this with some BI-LO store locations.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

cjd wrote: July 31st, 2019, 6:19 amI never liked the way the doors were set up on the 80s Winn Dixies, where you entered facing a row of checkouts and had to walk past all those to get to the first department.
WInn-Dixie's stores opened from the late 1980's through the 1990's had the oddest entry/exit configuration. First, the entry/exit was moved to one location between Customer Service and the cart corral. You could see who was coming and going. You also had to pass through the bank of checkout lanes to reach Produce. Second, as competitors moved toward automatic sliding doors, Winn-DIxie switched from automatic sliding doors to automatic swing doors. (Winn-Dixie returned to using automatic sliding doors.)
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

The 1970s era Winn Dixies such as the ones around here built around 1973, seemed to have sliding doors at each end of the front vestibule. Pretty similar to 70s and 80s Publix stores. There is one old W-D here that has been a Big Lots since the early 90s and it is set up that way. And I can vaguely remember the 1970s W-D we shopped at when I was really young being like that. Otherwise all of them had pretty much the same setup as the 80s and 90s stores that you mentioned. Even that though was better than having just one swinging door in and one right next to it opening out in the front left corner of the store.

In the 90s setup was indeed really odd with the swinging entrance and exit doors as you mentioned in sets of 3 that kind of had a bay window setup in the glass front of the store.. After the Marketplace era ended around 2000 they actually built some stores with two sliding doors somewhat adjacent to each other kind of similar to an Albertsons of that era. Very few like that because Winn Dixie opened so few stores between 2000 and the 2005 bankruptcy.

The stores they started building or remodeling during the late 2000s and early 2010s typically went with one set of sliding doors opening into produce and another set exiting near the checkouts, which makes a lot more sense from a traffic flow perspective than the 80s or 90s stores.
Mamak0423

Post by Mamak0423 »

Has anyone heard the rumor of the Bi Lo in Monroe NC closing?
Cakesrus
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by Cakesrus »

I have heard from several folks that there is a rumor that Southeastern is leaving NC all together. ;)
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BI-LO and Harvey's Supermarket exiting North Carolina has been trending hot.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BI-LO #5587, Darlington Plaza, 508 Lamar Highway, Darlington, South Carolina 29532-4900, is closing in November.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Winn-Dixie #2402, Springs Plaza, 8951 Bonita Beach Road Southeast, Suite 595, Bonita Springs, Florida 34135-4253, is the 28th store location Southeastern Grocers is closing in 2019. It and Winn-Dixie (Liquor Store) #2403, Springs Plaza, 8951 Bonita Beach Road Southeast, Suite 590, Bonita Springs, Florida 34135-4229), will close by or on Monday, 11 November.