Circle K acquiring "Corner Store"

pseudo3d

Re: Circle K acquiring "Corner Store"

Post by pseudo3d »

An acquaintance of mine took a picture of a converted store in San Antonio, where Circle K is focusing on converting before Houston. The picture showed more of a co-branded Valero/Circle K (with the Circle K name taking more prominence on roadside signage), and not only the Circle K signage but new Valero signage as Valero has recently updated its logo. It looks pretty nice as far as Circle K stores go (though I still don't like the new Circle K signage). I'm guessing this is partially because Valero is based in San Antonio, but I wonder how they'll still convert when it comes to older stores, non-Valero stations, or when they start running out of money. One of the closest Corner Store locations to me is from an old mid-1980s 7-Eleven with a mansard roof and aluminum siding. :o
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Don't have any Valeros in my immediate area. I've found the Circle K stores here, seem to be clean and good service at any I have been to. One out of town I used to stop at always looked nice inside, clean restroom, etc. They don't tend to offer much in the way of hot foods here, mostly just hot dogs, and maybe breakfast sandwiches, and the .69 Polar Pops. They have a pretty good selection of convenience store stuff, but I rarely buy anything at a gas station unless I'm really thirsty.

None of the CIrcle Ks in my area have gotten the new signage, although I do like the retro look a bit. In fact, the Shell branded Circle Ks here haven't even replaced their damaged signage since Hurricane Irma last year. One says "Shel" on the canopy, another says "hell" and there are sections of the canopy sides still missing. I guess they don't want to have to interrupt the gas pumps and lose money to fix it.

The nicest stations in my area I'd say go to Racetrak, newer, very nice open stores inside, feels more like a grocery store in a way, and Gate would be a close second with Circle K coming in about the same. But almost any seem better than the old Shell "Farm Stores", those were always bad, even in the 90s. I wouldn't even buy gas there using pay at the pump when they were still open a few years back. I think they are finally all gone now.

Only been to one 7-11 and it was a bit iffy, but I think that had more to do with the area than the brand itself.

Usually I either use Shell or Murphy near Walmart, or RaceWay in a pinch. I rarely use the Sunoco near my house unless I really need gas, as it's more expensive. If I need to pick up a few things I go to the Dollar General too as it's cheaper than the gas station.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

One interesting thing to note is that in the Phoenix area many of the FastMarket / FastFuels stores (former CST/Valero) locations are now becoming branded as Shell stations.

Many CircleK locations in the Phoenix area are also receiving Shell branding.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: October 10th, 2019, 3:18 pm One interesting thing to note is that in the Phoenix area many of the FastMarket / FastFuels stores (former CST/Valero) locations are now becoming branded as Shell stations.

It is interesting how few of the former Corner Store sites are retaining Valero fuel. It shows what a weak fuel brand Valero is. If these stations were going unbranded, it would be one thing, but they are not often going unbranded, they are often going to other fuel brands. The California ones sold to 7-11 have mostly gone to 76.

Shell has been losing stations left and right in Nevada, many to Chevron.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: October 10th, 2019, 7:03 pm
arizonaguy wrote: October 10th, 2019, 3:18 pm One interesting thing to note is that in the Phoenix area many of the FastMarket / FastFuels stores (former CST/Valero) locations are now becoming branded as Shell stations.

It is interesting how few of the former Corner Store sites are retaining Valero fuel. It shows what a weak fuel brand Valero is. If these stations were going unbranded, it would be one thing, but they are not often going unbranded, they are often going to other fuel brands. The California ones sold to 7-11 have mostly gone to 76.

Shell has been losing stations left and right in Nevada, many to Chevron.
Shell and Mobil are the only traditional fuel brands that seem to be growing in Arizona. Shell is easily the #1 brand (especially in the Phoenix area) and is rapidly adding both the former CST "spun off' locations as well as Circle K stations. Valero is down to about 15 locations in the Phoenix area and ARCO, Chevron, Mobil, and 76 have been stagnant (or shrinking) for years.

Shell seems to have agreements with the most multi-location convenience store operators here: Circle K, Jackson's, Superpumper, and Fast Markets all have several Shell branded stations in the Phoenix area.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

More than likely due to the tie-up between Shell and Kroger, which means you can use the fuel points on Fry’s Reward cards at Shell and Circle K sites in Arizona
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote: October 11th, 2019, 9:37 am More than likely due to the tie-up between Shell and Kroger, which means you can use the fuel points on Fry’s Reward cards at Shell and Circle K sites in Arizona
It makes the Fry's points fairly valuable as they can be used at practically every major intersection (either at a Fry's, Shell, or Circle K fuel center).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

What is strange is that the Circle Ks that pump Shell haven’t gotten the new red/orange logo yet. Most of the Phoenix stores have the new logo (and the same lousy old interiors).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: October 11th, 2019, 7:20 pm What is strange is that the Circle Ks that pump Shell haven’t gotten the new red/orange logo yet. Most of the Phoenix stores have the new logo (and the same lousy old interiors).
I've noticed they spent money outside and on new signs with that new logo (which is growing on me...), but have not touched interiors of their older stores. It is the same in California. Some new floors and counters (along with a deep cleaning) would go a long ways in their corporate operated older sites in California with unbranded fuel. They have put new gas pumps into some of these sites, as well.