Frys downtown Phoenix now open

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Frys downtown Phoenix now open

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: October 25th, 2019, 11:50 pm
rwsandiego wrote: October 25th, 2019, 7:09 pm This is the O N L Y grocery store in downtown Phoenix. The next-closest store is a small Safeway on McDowell between 3rd and 7th, which is about two miles away. It is the supermarket I shop the most. There is a ton of places to grab a quick lunch as well as a ton of sit-down restaurants in the immediate vicinity. However, there are very few grab-and-go and take-out places for dinner, which I think this store should capitalize on.

They did have some prepared heat-and-eat meals, but by no means were they prepared on site. My hope is they put in a hot food bar. As I mentioned up-thread, the seating area is very nice. Lots of comfortable-looking booths, a bar (not sure whether it is beer/wine only or a full bar), and a ton of tables and chairs.

Let's see what Fry's does. The Mercado is actually a pretty decent store. They certainly nailed the concept of putting businesses (I believe there's an insurance agency, money transfer place, maybe jewelry?) in the store.

Fingers crossed. Toes, too.
Are those prepared heat and eat meals the same ones the other Frys have too? Probably the same ones Smiths has if they come from the AZ producer... have not been impressed with these items (polite way to put my opinion).

Are they counting on "Chompie's" to be the ready to eat food option?

It appears "Chompie's" has a somewhat extensive menu. Maybe they need to present it differently somehow. As you point out, grab and go. Like, something you can grab with a few other groceries and run through the self checkout and get out of the store quickly with one transaction. Not "wait in line, order from menu board, pay counter for the food, wait for order, then take the rest of your stuff up to the main grocery checkout while your food is getting cold, and pay for it in transaction 2, then finally go."
I went back to the store today. The take-and-heat meals are branded "Home Chef." Not sure whether other Fry's stores sell them, as I don't stop there when I'm looking for a dinner entree. They had fewer prepared sandwiches than they did the other day and more meals. The pulled pork, enchilada, and roast beef looked pretty good. The meat loaf they had the other day just did not look appetizing. AT ALL.

Today there were pre-made Chompie's sandwiches that looked a lot fresher than the Fry's-branded ones. There were pre-packaged Chompie's salads (cole slaw, potato salad, etc) and some pastries/desserts. (I bought a slice of German chocolate cake). I do not see Chompie's doing take-and-reheat meals. It would dilute their brand. They have a great reputation to uphold.

I asked the deli manager about a hot food bar. She said a lot of customers were asking about one and suggested I send a feedback card to Fry's.

The chicken was NOT Chicken Co. Like the other night, it looked pretty good. Maybe I'll try some this week.
nwretail
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by nwretail »

Nice to see the new Urban Mix decor spreading beyond QFC! This store looks quite a bit like the new Kirkland QFC up here, in terms of layout as well as decor.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

nwretail wrote: October 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm Nice to see the new Urban Mix decor spreading beyond QFC! This store looks quite a bit like the new Kirkland QFC up here, in terms of layout as well as decor.
The same decor was used at the Cincinnati urban store, which opened in September.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Any changes yet to the new store in its first couple weeks?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: November 9th, 2019, 1:01 am Any changes yet to the new store in its first couple weeks?
Not really. The produce is still better than most Fry's (that's a huge plus!) and the meat has improved. I tried the fried chicken at lunch on Friday (worked from home that day) and it was pretty good.`No sign of a hot food bar. Salad bar is very good and very fresh. I can see myself shopping here for fill-in shopping and when I'm looking for something to cook after dinner,
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:46 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 9th, 2019, 1:01 am Any changes yet to the new store in its first couple weeks?
Not really. The produce is still better than most Fry's (that's a huge plus!) and the meat has improved. I tried the fried chicken at lunch on Friday (worked from home that day) and it was pretty good.`No sign of a hot food bar. Salad bar is very good and very fresh. I can see myself shopping here for fill-in shopping and when I'm looking for something to cook after dinner,
Overall the store seems to be getting positive reviews from what I am seeing online. The timing of the opening and the layoffs of middle management was probably not the best as those types are heavily involved in new store openings. Hopefully as things settle down the store will continue to keep up what is positive and make some adjustments to make it even better.