Walmart Supercenter Branding

California. No non-grocery posts.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Walmart Supercenter Branding

Post by steps »

I've been to a Walmart and Walmart Neighborhood Mart in Torrance recently, and both transactions show as "Supercenter". The neighborhood Market store is next to a closed Orchard so I assumed they would take over the space and convert to a Supercenter (The store is in a former Kmart split up into 3 different stores: Neighborhood, Orchard and a Homegoods).

The other store is in a former Mervyns with a Staples in the middle and a closed TRU on the other end. This Walmart is nowhere near being a Supercenter.

I'm not sure if this is done in other regions but, is Walmart now calling stores internally "Supercenters" without being Supercenters or are they planning on being Supercenters in the future if/when the other tenants surround it leave?

Is this just Walmart calling all stores Supercenters now?
Alpha8472

Re: Walmart Supercenter Branding

Post by Alpha8472 »

Is the word Supercenter on the receipt or are you talking about the credit card statement saying Supercenter? It is possible that the people who make up the name used for credit card transactions do not know whether a store is a supercenter or not and simply randomly list stores as supercenters for credit card transaction purposes.
Super S

Post by Super S »

A few months back I made a purchase at a conventional Walmart in Vancouver, and it showed up as "WM SUPERCENTER" on my statement.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I'm pretty sure all physical store transactions show up as WM Supercenter or Walmart Supercenter on credit card statements. I regularly shop at Neighborhood Markets and my transactions always show up as "supercenters."
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Walmart has upgraded a lot of stores to Supercenter, even if the square footage expansion is small (if at all), but there are still non-Supercenter stores, compare something like Marlin to College Station.

Personally, it's been a while since I went into a non-Supercenter store...I pass by the Navasota Walmart semi-regularly (strangely, despite getting new paint upgrades, most recently to the bright blue with orange pick-up area still maintains its pre-1995 "WAL-MART" signage), and the last non-Supercenter I visited was in Hempstead, TX.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't think they designate the store formats too well on their customer facing things like systems or receipts. Internally something must go on in order for them to handle staffing, etc.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

At point, I think the Supercenter designation was reserved mostly for stores will full-service grocery departments, including service deli and bakery. At some point I think that was reduced to just stores will full grocery departments with or without service delis. For example, the Bellevue Walmart is pretty small by Walmart standards (built in a former Mervyn's store at around 40,000 square feet) but still gets the Supercenter designation, as it has full line groceries but no deli/bakery. The Lynnwood store, on the other hand, doesn't have a full grocery department so I don't believe it's designated as a Supercenter.
klkla

Post by klkla »

This is probably just an oversight by someone at WalMart corporate.

The retailer is responsible for provider the correct description that appears on credit card statements to it's merchant bank.

The Gelson's on Franklin Ave. in Hollywood was converted from Mayfair in 2010 but continued to show up on credit card statements as Mayfair Market #114 until just a few years ago.

I don't think this issue with WalMart is reflective of any change in strategy.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm At point, I think the Supercenter designation was reserved mostly for stores will full-service grocery departments, including service deli and bakery. At some point I think that was reduced to just stores will full grocery departments with or without service delis. For example, the Bellevue Walmart is pretty small by Walmart standards (built in a former Mervyn's store at around 40,000 square feet) but still gets the Supercenter designation, as it has full line groceries but no deli/bakery. The Lynnwood store, on the other hand, doesn't have a full grocery department so I don't believe it's designated as a Supercenter.
Correct; the Supercenter nomenclature is for stores with both grocery and GM.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

wnetmacman wrote: December 4th, 2019, 6:55 am
Brian Lutz wrote: November 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm At point, I think the Supercenter designation was reserved mostly for stores will full-service grocery departments, including service deli and bakery. At some point I think that was reduced to just stores will full grocery departments with or without service delis. For example, the Bellevue Walmart is pretty small by Walmart standards (built in a former Mervyn's store at around 40,000 square feet) but still gets the Supercenter designation, as it has full line groceries but no deli/bakery. The Lynnwood store, on the other hand, doesn't have a full grocery department so I don't believe it's designated as a Supercenter.
Correct; the Supercenter nomenclature is for stores with both grocery and GM.
That doesn't make any sense since a Neighborhood Market is showing as a "Super Center" on credit card transaction details. Those stores (at least the one I'm speaking of) doesn't have any GM.