Domino's Opened Full Sized Dining Room

Alpha8472

Domino's Opened Full Sized Dining Room

Post by Alpha8472 »

A new Domino's opened in the parking lot of Sunvalley Mall in Concord, California as a full sized restaurant with a dining room. It is on a major road and is very visible. It is also one of the first things in the mall parking lot that you see when you exit the freeway.

It is not close to the mall. You have to walk about a quarter of a mile through the lot and pass through Sears to get inside the mall.

I was impressed. The huge glass windows let you see inside and it looks like a very trendy place to eat.

Most pizza places have closed their dining rooms except for Round Table Pizza. The Round Table Pizzas in this area have large dining rooms and one is a pub with a bar and arcade games.
storewanderer

Re: Domino's Opened Full Sized Dining Room

Post by storewanderer »

A Domino's recently opened in Reno on Longley Lane in a former bank branch. While not really having a formal dine-in offer (you will get to eat on paper plates and drink bottles of soda if you dine in), they have a large counter with some stools and maybe 8 tables off to the side for dine in.

It also has a drive through (recycled, of course), and nicely covered.

I went a few times after it opened and the pizza was actually pretty good, considering the good deals on their website coupon area. It was the first time in probably 20 years I had eaten a Dominos Pizza.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Domino's has been opening "pizza theater" stores for a few years now, which include seating and tables inside. A local one opened a few years ago, replacing a carry-out location half a mile down.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

pseudo3d wrote: November 26th, 2019, 6:18 am Domino's has been opening "pizza theater" stores for a few years now, which include seating and tables inside. A local one opened a few years ago, replacing a carry-out location half a mile down.
Yep. Most of the locations here have been renovated to this layout (where possible) or relocated new builds. Our franchisee continues to invest in "green" efforts with solar panels in many locations as well.

There's a reason that some industry analysts say the car companies they should consider buying a (successful) pizza chain. Domino's has done a lot in recent history.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It's kind of ironic, but with a lot more competition in the delivery business (thanks to Grubhub / Uber Eats pretty much anyone can offer delivery now) it actually seems to make sense for some of the predominantly take-out pizza places to start moving back toward offering dine-in options. I know the Pizza Hut in Lake Stevens is still primarily a carryout/delivery location but does have a small dining room, and with Pizza Hut's recent rebranding they seem to be trying to move perceptions back toward the Pizza Hut of the 80s and 90s with freestanding dine-in locations and lunch buffets. Round Table (and to a lesser extent Godfather's, although they have shrunk considerably from their peak) have remained committed to the eat-in model, and there does still seem to be a niche for it. You also still have the chains like CiCi's, although they tend to be geographically limited.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 26th, 2019, 12:07 pm It's kind of ironic, but with a lot more competition in the delivery business (thanks to Grubhub / Uber Eats pretty much anyone can offer delivery now) it actually seems to make sense for some of the predominantly take-out pizza places to start moving back toward offering dine-in options. I know the Pizza Hut in Lake Stevens is still primarily a carryout/delivery location but does have a small dining room, and with Pizza Hut's recent rebranding they seem to be trying to move perceptions back toward the Pizza Hut of the 80s and 90s with freestanding dine-in locations and lunch buffets. Round Table (and to a lesser extent Godfather's, although they have shrunk considerably from their peak) have remained committed to the eat-in model, and there does still seem to be a niche for it. You also still have the chains like CiCi's, although they tend to be geographically limited.
I didn't know that about Pizza Hut shifting back to the traditional style. We still have the traditional 70s dine in/buffet PH in my town, but in other towns I have seen these closing down and the shift into shopping centers/strip malls where they are now primarily a carry out storefront location with small dining area and no buffet. In fact in the town south of me I noticed this just recently, not sure how long ago it happened, but most of these have been opening in the last year or so.
Super S

Post by Super S »

There is a new-build Domino's near me that has seating. It is more like a typical fast food restaurant than a true sit-down style restaurant though.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

As long as their pizza remains awful, it's unlikely to do much to raise volume and the higher costs won't help profits.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Domino's isn't so bad if you pay what it is worth (about $7 for a large and hopefully it is on your way). These chains like Pizza Hut, Round Table, and Domino's all seem to have a similar sort of pizza (lousy). Many frozen pizzas are better.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

storewanderer wrote: November 29th, 2019, 6:02 pm Domino's isn't so bad if you pay what it is worth (about $7 for a large and hopefully it is on your way). These chains like Pizza Hut, Round Table, and Domino's all seem to have a similar sort of pizza (lousy). Many frozen pizzas are better.
Funny thing is, Domino's was the worse of the brands 15 years or so ago. We always ordered Pizza Hut until 5 or so years ago. Pizza Hut is overpriced and greasy for what it is. Domino's is usually very fresh and has a great flavor. It might vary by location but, I've never been dissatisfied with Domino's every since the revamp.

We still have Shakey;s which hasn't changed in the 30+ years I've been going there. They are all dine in, have the buffet and even an mini arcade. There aren't many around so I don't get a chance to go often.

I've seen a few Round Table Pizza around and have fond memories of them from childhood but, never really had the urge to eat at one as an adult.