California. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart Supercenter Branding

Post by rwsandiego »

steps wrote: December 4th, 2019, 8:21 pm
wnetmacman wrote: December 4th, 2019, 6:55 am
Brian Lutz wrote: November 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm At point, I think the Supercenter designation was reserved mostly for stores will full-service grocery departments, including service deli and bakery. At some point I think that was reduced to just stores will full grocery departments with or without service delis. For example, the Bellevue Walmart is pretty small by Walmart standards (built in a former Mervyn's store at around 40,000 square feet) but still gets the Supercenter designation, as it has full line groceries but no deli/bakery. The Lynnwood store, on the other hand, doesn't have a full grocery department so I don't believe it's designated as a Supercenter.
Correct; the Supercenter nomenclature is for stores with both grocery and GM.
That doesn't make any sense since a Neighborhood Market is showing as a "Super Center" on credit card transaction details. Those stores (at least the one I'm speaking of) doesn't have any GM.
Someone either got lazy, made a mistake, or used a merchant ID that was pre-configured for a Supercenter. When I ran credit card processing for a wireless carrier we would set up blocks of merchant IDs and simply change the name to reflect the name of the store (i.e. we would set them up as "OurCorpName" and then change it to "OurCorpName - Westshore.") My successor had the bright idea to set up the blocks with the name "OurCorpName - Dummy" and then forgot to have the name changed. Customers were not happy. The same person had the bright idea to set up a merchant ID with the name "OurCorpName - Surfboard" when we sold a battery pack called a Motorola Surfboard. Of course, customers saw "Surfboard" on their credit card statements and filed a dispute.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: December 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm
wnetmacman wrote: December 4th, 2019, 6:55 am

Correct; the Supercenter nomenclature is for stores with both grocery and GM.
That doesn't make any sense since a Neighborhood Market is showing as a "Super Center" on credit card transaction details. Those stores (at least the one I'm speaking of) doesn't have any GM.
Someone either got lazy, made a mistake, or used a merchant ID that was pre-configured for a Supercenter. When I ran credit card processing for a wireless carrier we would set up blocks of merchant IDs and simply change the name to reflect the name of the store (i.e. we would set them up as "OurCorpName" and then change it to "OurCorpName - Westshore.") My successor had the bright idea to set up the blocks with the name "OurCorpName - Dummy" and then forgot to have the name changed. Customers were not happy. The same person had the bright idea to set up a merchant ID with the name "OurCorpName - Surfboard" when we sold a battery pack called a Motorola Surfboard. Of course, customers saw "Surfboard" on their credit card statements and filed a dispute.
Sometimes years ago I would have transactions come through on my credit card statement as "Wal-Sams" or "WM Supercenter." Now they seem to always come through as Wal Mart #xxxx. I suspect there were many disputes.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: December 4th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Sometimes years ago I would have transactions come through on my credit card statement as "Wal-Sams" or "WM Supercenter." Now they seem to always come through as Wal Mart #xxxx. I suspect there were many disputes.
Yep. Also, back in the late 1990s there was a limit to the number of characters available in the merchant name field. That can make for some strange descriptions.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: December 5th, 2019, 3:20 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 4th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Yep. Also, back in the late 1990s there was a limit to the number of characters available in the merchant name field. That can make for some strange descriptions.
Maybe that explains Wal-Sams of old on credit card statements. Or DOLRTREE.

Raleys runs a single store under the Sak N Save banner which it inherited from Scolaris (probably not seeing a decent ROI on changing the signs to say Food Source) and it comes up on the credit card as "FOOD SOURCE DBA SAK"
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

A few years ago, there was a Vons store in Las Vegas that showed up on my credit card statements as Safeway multiple times.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Unless WM has a special use for these identifiers (which i doubt, they probably have multiple internal ways to track sales), it probably doesn't matter what they use.