Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

storewanderer

Re: Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

Post by storewanderer »

marshd1000 wrote: December 15th, 2019, 12:56 am Outside the Renton, WA Walmart there was a USA gas station/c store that has been branded as Mobil the past few years. Both the store and pumps are now Speedway.
Is it Speedway or Speedway Express?

Nothing in OR/WA is showing up on the Speedway website.

I wonder if it is going to be all Speedway Express in OR/WA... and not the actual Speedway c-stores.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

In Tucson the former Giant locations have been rebranded to Speedway (and there is a Speedway on Speedway Blvd BTW)complete with TV ads and billboards. There are also a handful of Arco AM-PMs and the first Marathon-branded gas station in Arizona. So Tucson is the only market where all 3 of Marathon’s fuel brands are sold.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2019, 10:57 am
marshd1000 wrote: December 15th, 2019, 12:56 am Outside the Renton, WA Walmart there was a USA gas station/c store that has been branded as Mobil the past few years. Both the store and pumps are now Speedway.

I wonder if it is going to be all Speedway Express in OR/WA... and not the actual Speedway c-stores.
It is Speedway Express. I didn’t know there was a difference. But the Mobil gas is gone at that location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

marshd1000 wrote: December 15th, 2019, 1:12 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2019, 10:57 am

It is Speedway Express. I didn’t know there was a difference. But the Mobil gas is gone at that location.
If it is Speedway Express, everything you see at Speedway.com about the store offering will not be there. The store will be exactly as it was before (when it was Mobil, USA, etc.).
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Haven't seen Speedway brand anywhere up here yet, but I've seen a number of stations rebrand to Mobil in the area, including former Tesoro stations and at least 1 or 2 former Shell stations. Up until that happened the Mobil brand was nonexistent here and Exxon was rare. It does appear that the Exxon brand is being used at stations east of the Cascades in Washington though.

Also, the USA Gasoline station near the Tulalip (Marysville) Walmart has not changed brands yet, and I don't know if it is going to.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Speedway has arrived in the Los Angeles-area. The former Shell at Century/Aviation, at the entrance to LAX, was recently rebranded. I didn’t check it out... that place is very popular among skimmers and thieves... but anyone someone else will.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Brian Lutz wrote: December 16th, 2019, 9:36 am Haven't seen Speedway brand anywhere up here yet, but I've seen a number of stations rebrand to Mobil in the area, including former Tesoro stations and at least 1 or 2 former Shell stations. Up until that happened the Mobil brand was nonexistent here and Exxon was rare. It does appear that the Exxon brand is being used at stations east of the Cascades in Washington though.

Also, the USA Gasoline station near the Tulalip (Marysville) Walmart has not changed brands yet, and I don't know if it is going to.
Here in South King County, I have seen a number of Mobil stations, so they are not rare here. In Blaine, WA on the US side of the Canadian border, there is a Mobil station and the only remaining Western Washington Exxon across the street from each other!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

marshd1000 wrote: December 25th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: December 16th, 2019, 9:36 am Haven't seen Speedway brand anywhere up here yet, but I've seen a number of stations rebrand to Mobil in the area, including former Tesoro stations and at least 1 or 2 former Shell stations. Up until that happened the Mobil brand was nonexistent here and Exxon was rare. It does appear that the Exxon brand is being used at stations east of the Cascades in Washington though.

Here in South King County, I have seen a number of Mobil stations, so they are not rare here. In Blaine, WA on the US side of the Canadian border, there is a Mobil station and the only remaining Western Washington Exxon across the street from each other!
The Blaine site has rebranded to Speedway Express.

It does not appear standard Speedway (as advertised at Speedway.com) is going into OR/WA at this time, just this "Speedway Express" thing which is basically an unbranded gas station with a generic convenience store run by a random multi site operator that has nothing to do with Speedway.

Other odd thing in San Diego they are keeping Shell branded gas but rebranding c-stores to Speedway. I have never seen Speedway combined with another gas brand before, much less a competitor brand to Marathon. Shell must have some iron tough branding agreements in San Diego.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

There’s a gas station in Orange that was recently rebranded to the ARCO brand, but the convenience store is still branded as Sunoco (and the gas portion hasn’t been branded as Sunoco in years- it was most recently an independent shop). Branding agreements are weird.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Heard an ad today paid for by the Utah DEQ -
Speedway Express stations are the first Utah stations to finally be carrying a cleaner formulation of gasoline.

(in case you hadn't noticed, the explosive growth along Utah's Wasatch Front has destroyed winter air quality...)

I guess Marathon is really stepping up in that region... or maybe the refinery ran into delays as the article below says this would've happened in 2019.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment ... standards/