Whole Foods 365

California. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Whole Foods 365

Post by Alpha8472 »

The 365 stores have increased prices to match normal Whole Foods prices. The selection is still limited, and the prices have gone up. This is a change for the worse. I suppose that they do not want a low priced supermarket to compete with their Amazon grocery stores.
storewanderer

Re: Whole Foods 365

Post by storewanderer »

The 365 in South Lake Tahoe opened as a standard Whole Foods. But I think the store is still the 365 format but with standard pricing and way less to offer than a usual Whole Foods. It has mini fresh departments. No service counters for meat or deli. Tiny departments and much of what they have is pre-packed stuff. Very limited food is prepared in store. They have a couple hot bars with pizza and some other assorted hot food by the pound. Bakery is tiny and appears to all be brought in from elsewhere.

Center store is quite good sized and I think they may have more dry groceries than most larger Whole Foods I've been to. But they have noticeably less vitamins, liquor, dairy, etc. than a normal Whole Foods has.

The store kind of reminds me of a Fresh and Easy. In the sense that I am so underwhelmed... Actually Fresh and Easy had better products at better prices than this store has.

This store will rely on tourists who have a good image of Whole Foods to survive. It is such a substandard store, it will not foster much repeat business. It is like they are not even trying given not even having a service deli, service meat, etc.

It is tough to staff stores in Lake Tahoe during seasonal periods but when you open a store with no service departments and a bunch of prepack deli, meat, and bakery your staffing need sure goes down. I suspect this was their plan.

Sort of like a Grocery Outlet in offering, with Whole Foods prices and sign out front.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 7th, 2020, 5:55 pm The 365 stores have increased prices to match normal Whole Foods prices. The selection is still limited, and the prices have gone up. This is a change for the worse. I suppose that they do not want a low priced supermarket to compete with their Amazon grocery stores.
I suspect eventually Whole Foods is going to disappear and they will all become Amazon branded grocery stores.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There is still room for Whole Foods Market. There is a loyal following of people who will pay big bucks at Whole Foods. They are willing to pay outrageously high prices for the same type of food at Whole Foods. Rebranding these stores would only drive customers away to other stores such as Trader Joe's or other natural or organic markets.

Whole Foods will be the high priced organic and natural market, while the Amazon grocery stores will focus on cheaper foods and non-organic products. There are many customers who would never set foot in a supermarket where junk food is sold.