ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Raleys to close 2 more Food Source's

Post by ninersdd »

storewanderer

Re: Raleys to close 2 more Food Source's

Post by storewanderer »

Last month after closing the pharmacy in the Mack Road location, as part of the pharmacy closure string, they said they were "committed to these stores" where they were closing these pharmacies.

Evidently not the case here.

I wonder if there are any other closures coming.

From the looks of it, Raleys had a great holiday season up here in Nevada. Their core stores (meaning, not the ones that were Scolaris before which are pretty awful) were very busy, well stocked, and put on a really good holiday spread. Pushing higher end meats and higher end liquor seemed to generate them significant traffic, way more than I've ever seen before even in already busy locations. Pricing is not the best, but the quality sure is reliable. Some of the competitors up here did not appear to have such a great holiday season, despite price cut programs and/or store remodel projects recently finished.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Raley's seems to have good presentation in their Raley's stores. However, my local Nob Hill Foods, owned by Raley's, is empty of customers. The prices are not that great. There were 4 employees and I was the only customer. There is a giant newish Safeway across the street and a newish Whole Foods across from Safeway. Store hours are 6 to 10. It used to be 6 to 9 PM until recently. Raley's is not as cheap as other supermarkets and not gourmet enough for Whole Foods customers.

I visited a Nob Hill in San Ramon, California and it was the same story. The store looked great, but there were no customers even in a high income area where people can afford higher prices. Theses stores have a perception of high prices.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys definitely has the stores where they try and the stores that seem to be poorly positioned, low volume, in need of remodeling, and just feel like orphan stores (what confuses me is why they bothered to acquire Scolaris Stores and treat 4 of the 6 locations as orphan stores)- under stocked, under merchandised, but they do still do a good job on fresh products even in these types of stores. The store you describe sounds like an orphan store.

Nob Hill seems to have a higher pricing structure than the standard Raleys have. Raleys has a number of pricing structures (with some deviations) with most items in most stores on what I call the "middle" pricing structure. Nob Hill seems to be on the "high" pricing structure. Some stores are on the "low" pricing structure (which is of course my favorite). There seems to be a 5% spread between the given structures. Food Source is on a considerably lower pricing structure than any of these (with inferior lower quality fresh products).

Nob Hill runs a nice store in Redwood Shores in Redwood City and the one in Mountain View was built by Raleys and is also very nice. I think they have another Nob Hill they built somewhere up on the I-80 corridor but where exactly it is escapes me.

More recently they've been doing some real weird stuff with pricing and in certain categories on certain items every single store has different prices. I don't know what software they are using for this but some of the prices they are posting are laughably out of line. Not sure if this is the same pricing software Safeway was using in the 00's (part of what tanked Safeway in so many markets and let Kroger roll over them) but it is pretty wacky pricing.