Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 14th, 2020, 10:47 pm
ninersdd wrote: March 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm Yeah at Taco Bell, you have to ask for napkins, straws, sauces, etc.
I fail to understand the point of restricting access to pre-wrapped condiment items for the sake of Coronavirus...
To me, the point is to avoid customer "A"'s unwashed hands from touching all of the packets while they try to fish out the packet they want and customer "B" coming in contact with the packets touched by "A."
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 15th, 2020, 10:27 pm
ninersdd wrote: March 14th, 2020, 8:42 pm Yeah at Taco Bell, you have to ask for napkins, straws, sauces, etc.
I fail to understand the point of restricting access to pre-wrapped condiment items for the sake of Coronavirus...
To me, the point is to avoid customer "A"'s unwashed hands from touching all of the packets while they try to fish out the packet they want and customer "B" coming in contact with the packets touched by "A."
Given the employees touching those packets are often the same ones handling cash, I am wondering how much it will really help the situation. But I can see how there is less chance of contamination if there is less contact, so it is all about reducing unique events of contact.

I suspect the self serve drink areas would also be closed temporarily if the locations could make employee serve beverages work logistically.

It is funny what deep attention is finally being given to cleanliness and sanitation. If we had this interest historically, our cold and flu seasons would have been a lot less painful. I hope we continue these better sanitation practices long term.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

And maybe less food poisoning...
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 15th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Given the employees touching those packets are often the same ones handling cash, I am wondering how much it will really help the situation. But I can see how there is less chance of contamination if there is less contact, so it is all about reducing unique events of contact.

I suspect the self serve drink areas would also be closed temporarily if the locations could make employee serve beverages work logistically.

It is funny what deep attention is finally being given to cleanliness and sanitation. If we had this interest historically, our cold and flu seasons would have been a lot less painful. I hope we continue these better sanitation practices long term.
My partner is from Taiwan. They are amazed that in U.S. establishments cooks do not wear masks when preparing food. Claimed that is typical there. I reminded that Oregon bars/restaurants/etc. about blew their top when they were talking about mandatory hand gloving (Washington already does).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There is a shelter in place for the San Francisco Bay Area. Restaurants are now take out or drive thru only. McDonald's is taping their tables so that you cannot sit down.

I saw a McDonald's in a Walmart that was a ghost town while lines in the store snaked down the aisles. However, McDonald's did have hand sanitizer dispensers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: March 16th, 2020, 10:45 am
storewanderer wrote: March 15th, 2020, 10:35 pm

My partner is from Taiwan. They are amazed that in U.S. establishments cooks do not wear masks when preparing food. Claimed that is typical there. I reminded that Oregon bars/restaurants/etc. about blew their top when they were talking about mandatory hand gloving (Washington already does).
Maybe that will change... maybe they will wear masks in the future. I think there need to be some changes here.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So it sounds like Starbucks has now closed its lobby areas entirely. I have heard they did this due to too many people going into the locations and just standing/talking and enjoying their drinks despite the "to go only" rule that they tried to implement.

Most Starbucks do not have a drive through. So does that mean they've closed most of their locations?

Personally there is no way I'd buy food from a drive through. You have no idea if the employees inside the location are sick if you do not go in and look to see. You also have no idea if cash handling/food handling safe practices are being followed.

Did that cashier who just took cash grab your napkins or ketchup packets? Or reach for that box of fries with the palm of their hands and throw it in your bag?
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I was under the impression Starbucks had long since closed the lobby areas due to this happening out west. The one here has a drive thru so I didn't realize not many did.

I did notice a lot of cars at McDonald's this morning and people were sitting at the tables outside for breakfast. I suppose places like Checkers and Sonic and any other restaurant with outdoor seating can operate normally with the restrictions as long as all dining happens out of the building. I did not notice any cars in the drive in spaces at Sonic this morning though. Ihop seemed to be open but I think they were just taking orders and bringing them out to cars.

To me using the drive thru is not a great idea either since the food will be passed out with same hands that took the cash or credit/debit card, especially if it's a single window setup (most places here except McDonald's are.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I suppose the rules on outdoor seating varies by state. However, in Nevada, per order of governor Steve Sisolak (need to always give credit where credit is due), public parks have closed their individual and group picnic areas. To me, those park picnic areas are quite similar to a restaurant's outdoor seating area. So I think in the case of Nevada, that outdoor seating would not be compliant with the governor's orders.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: March 21st, 2020, 11:49 am So it sounds like Starbucks has now closed its lobby areas entirely. I have heard they did this due to too many people going into the locations and just standing/talking and enjoying their drinks despite the "to go only" rule that they tried to implement.

Most Starbucks do not have a drive through. So does that mean they've closed most of their locations?

Personally there is no way I'd buy food from a drive through. You have no idea if the employees inside the location are sick if you do not go in and look to see. You also have no idea if cash handling/food handling safe practices are being followed.

Did that cashier who just took cash grab your napkins or ketchup packets? Or reach for that box of fries with the palm of their hands and throw it in your bag?
About 60% of Starbucks locations have drive thrus but it really varies by area. Nearly all new Starbucks built over the past 10 years have drive-thrus and many older locations have been replaced by newer drive-thrus. Also, most of the food at Starbucks comes from a central kitchen unless you are getting a bagel or pastry.

I personally haven't been going out to get take out, trying to conserve cash since I don't know if we will have a mild recession or if this is going to be the Great Depression II.

But yeah, we're living in some odd times.