Distilleries Making Hand Sanitizer For Communities In Need

Alpha8472

Distilleries Making Hand Sanitizer For Communities In Need

Post by Alpha8472 »

San Francisco Bay Area distilleries are making hand sanitizer.

Most of them are donating it to first responders or hospitals. Heretic is selling limited quantities.

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/arti ... o-19214256

Hand washing is best. However, if you are unable to wash with soap, I suppose hand sanitizer will have to do.

Vodka is not strong enough, but high alcohol rum will do as it is more than 70% alcohol. Why not just put it in a little travel size plastic bottle?
Last edited by Alpha8472 on March 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klkla

Re: Distilleries Making Hand Sanitizer For Communities In Need

Post by klkla »

70% alcohol is 140 proof. Most vodka is 80 proof.

Bacardi 151 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This was mentioned on the 4012 communication last week that it was happening.

In Reno some distillery is making sanitizer too and it was covered in the local newspaper owned by Gannett (not sure if they are legitimate or not but I assume it is true).

I was not aware from the 4012 briefing that small local businesses were involved in this. 4012 made it sound like it was just some larger plant that would be doing it.

Glad to see the local businesses able to adjust their production to do this so quickly and get some needed product out there. We need more examples of this sort of thing happening.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:42 pm This was mentioned on the 4012 communication last week that it was happening.

In Reno some distillery is making sanitizer too and it was covered in the local newspaper owned by Gannett (not sure if they are legitimate or not but I assume it is true).

I was not aware from the 4012 briefing that small local businesses were involved in this. 4012 made it sound like it was just some larger plant that would be doing it.

Glad to see the local businesses able to adjust their production to do this so quickly and get some needed product out there. We need more examples of this sort of thing happening.
What is 4012?

:)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

veteran+ wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:43 am

What is 4012?

I think this is StoreWanderer's way of referring to the official currently holding the nationally elected position that is holding daily briefings on federal responses.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I've seen mention of several smaller local places in this area doing this.

Some were able to produce it from what would otherwise be "leftovers" in the production process, while others are using their normal production and just modifying it as needed.

I'm pretty sure that at least one (the one a mile down the road) is using vodka, they just "reprocess" it to make it 70% alcohol (which doesn't seem to be that hard, just concentrating it more than normal).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:00 am

What is 4012?

I think this is StoreWanderer's way of referring to the official currently holding the nationally elected position that is holding daily briefings on federal responses.
Of the choices 3107, 4012, or 4013, the 4012 seemed to be the best fitting label. The 3107 is my preferred orange with a thin skin, just the right size, and tends to consistently be the best tasting. The 4012 is often thick skinned, dry, not always flavorful, sometimes too big to eat, etc. The 4013 seems to be the reject version often sold in the big tubs at the discount stores, though not always the best looking, usually a very good deal when you purchase it.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm

What is 4012?

Of the choices 3107, 4012, or 4013, the 4012 seemed to be the best fitting label. The 3107 is my preferred orange with a thin skin, just the right size, and tends to consistently be the best tasting. The 4012 is often thick skinned, dry, not always flavorful, sometimes too big to eat, etc. The 4013 seems to be the reject version often sold in the big tubs at the discount stores, though not always the best looking, usually a very good deal when you purchase it.
:lol: OMG. Now I know which oranges to look for. Thank you for the tip. :D
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm

What is 4012?

Ohhhhhhhhh, Produce Codes?

LOL.........didn't even think about that :lol: