Coronavirus and Plastic Bag Bans

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Coronavirus and Plastic Bag Bans

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 21st, 2020, 7:58 am It's NOT about anyone's IDEAS!

It's about trying to come up with imperfect "ideas" to help the environment.

Our ideas should be based on research, science and data (and as always revisit our findings and adjust).

Ideally (I wish), whatever we use should be non toxic to ourselves and the environment.

And.........they should be apolitical.

It seems you make those that at least try into nutty left ideologues.
You hit it in an earlier post when you said they need something that is compostable. Not the paper bag since there is a limited amount of resources from which to produce the paper bags. Trader Joe's has the compostable plastic-like bag in produce. It works just like any other plastic produce bag. There are compostable plastic-like trash bags too. The retailers should figure out how to have compostable plastic-like disposable bags, if production increased surely costs would go down.

For a variety of reasons, disposable cups, bags, plates, containers, etc. are needed. Compostable is the answer. Not everyone has a washing machine and can wash their reusable bag every time they use it. The majority of reusable bags are not machine washable either and given we have shortages of soap, bleach wipes, and paper products right now there is not an easy way to clean those.

Forcing people to use reusable bags or buy a super thick plastic bag (or if on food stamps, receive the super thick plastic bag free) that is 10+ times thicker than the thin one was absolutely not the right answer. There may be fewer bags going out but I suspect the total weight is higher than before with these super thick plastic bags.

It is easy for the poster who is so critical of my complaining about these bag bans to become frustrated. Given the poster is involved with Costco, where there are no bags. But spoiler alert, how many of those big packs of items are wrapped in thin plastic film (the same stuff the bags are made out of) so they are held together? A ton. But warehouse club stores are sending out tons of thin film plastic with its customers, it is in the packaging that the items are wrapped in and comes into the warehouse that way. Like those little 4 packs of toilet paper bundled together in the warehouse pack in plastic groups of 4 than wrapped a second time in another big huge plastic bundle. At the regular store the toilet paper is not double plastic wrapped like that. Or the multi packs of cleaning wipes that are wrapped together in plastic. Various other examples, some in boxes instead of plastic.

As far as ordering from Amazon goes, I have a black trash bag about 50% full of plastic air pillows that I have broken down from Amazon and other mail order boxes that are made of the same thin plastic film as single use plastic bags that I will take to a plastic bag recycling bin at one of the grocery stores as soon as it fills up. So that doesn't really solve anything environmentally since you sometimes get a ton of thin plastic film from them in the boxes of items too (or for other items, they ship in a plastic envelope that is like a super thick plastic bag which does not show any indication of recycling ability). And unless you are re-shipping items out, you have zero use for those plastic film air pillows. At least the bags can be re-used (bags with holes can still be re-used for dry trash such as home office or similar, or laid flat and used to dispose of meat packaging).
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

smart & final is no longer allowing reusable bags and anyone who tries to bring in a reusable bag is stopped by security at the entrance. the bad part is that they are charging 10 cents per single use plastic bag at the store. they also plan to hire another guard to enforce social distancing in the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: April 21st, 2020, 8:34 pm smart & final is no longer allowing reusable bags and anyone who tries to bring in a reusable bag is stopped by security at the entrance. the bad part is that they are charging 10 cents per single use plastic bag at the store. they also plan to hire another guard to enforce social distancing in the store.
Smart & Final also improperly collects sales tax on that 10 cent bag.

CA Grocers Association tried around March 25 to get a temporary lift on the plastic bag ban. So far the State has not given a lift. There are shortages of paper bags and shortages of the super thick plastic bags due to volume increases at the stores, along with increased demand for "compliant" bags from states back east that were going to start to implement bag bans last month like NY.

It seems some smaller stores subject to the ban are now giving out thin bags for free. I have seen some chains also have thin bags in CA Stores now but then the same chain in a different location does not have any thin bags. It looks like at this point the bag fee is not being assessed at some stores if you go to a physical cashier (not much different from before in the rural towns I am in, but I notice lately there is no more "do you want a bag" question and now you just get a bag automatically and no fee being charged) but so far the self checkouts continue to be programmed for a bag fee.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Here in NY where they have suspended the ban most stores are just using plastic bags again. I did notice last week in Price Chopper they ask you if plastic is OK so I don't know if that is because paper bags are short or they're still charging a fee for them. I did notice in the few short weeks the ban was in effect I built up quite a collection of paper bags which take up quite a bit of room to store vs. the same number of plastic bags. Be interesting to see what the state will do when this 7 week suspension is up.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 8:37 am Here in NY where they have suspended the ban most stores are just using plastic bags again. I did notice last week in Price Chopper they ask you if plastic is OK so I don't know if that is because paper bags are short or they're still charging a fee for them. I did notice in the few short weeks the ban was in effect I built up quite a collection of paper bags which take up quite a bit of room to store vs. the same number of plastic bags. Be interesting to see what the state will do when this 7 week suspension is up.
The NY ban is delayed due to the lawsuit between the bodega owners in NYC and the state. The state is not delaying the ban because of concerns about bags and the virus. The court cannot hear the case right now or look at the case and decide to simply throw it out (since it is closed or on limited operations due to the virus) and that is why the ban keeps getting pushed off. I am sure 4885 there in NY is trying hard to get the case to be thrown out.

But Philadelphia's ban just got pushed out to 2021 and a ban around Columbus, OH just got delayed again too (lots of controversy surrounding that ban) and those two moves were directly because of the virus. Hopefully those bans will get canceled all together. Given the drops in tax revenue that will take place from the upcoming recession/depression, money should not be spent on this type of meaningless stuff.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

California plastic bag ban and 10 cent bag fee has been suspended for the next 60 days, effective immediately.

But this (last page) https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploa ... .22.20.pdf says it will only apply in locations where there is not a "local" bag ban already. So that means in most of the large cities like San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, etc. there will still be a bag ban. But at this point, I doubt anyone is going to enforce anything.

Of course really it has already been suspended for about the past month statewide regardless of what local rules are as Target, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods have stopped collecting the bag fee and numerous small stores already brought back the thin bags.

The environmental groups are not happy and saying everyone should use reusable bags and bag their own groceries. That is basically admitting that it is not safe for the cashiers to handle the reusable bags. People should use whatever bag they want and the stores should provide whatever bag they want to provide. If the store wants to be bagless (like Natural Grocers is) let them be. If the store only wants to offer paper bags (like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's) let them. If the store wants to charge a bag fee (like Aldi) let them. If the store wants to provide thin bags let them. If litter is a problem, then increase fines for littering.

Oh, and also, stores are no longer required to accept bottle/can returns for CRV refund for the next 60 days. Time to get rid of the CRV too. With the advent of curbside recycling programs, bottle deposits are no longer necessary. In the old days when your choice for disposal was to litter or use a trash can, or segment out the refundable cans and go get a refund at the redemption center, the CRV refund was necessary to convince the person to recycle the can/bottle. Now that most have the option of curbside recycling they are recycling these. Why wouldn't you recycle when it is so easy to do so with the at home pick-up? As many public trash cans have a recycling container as well it is also very easy for people "on the go" to recycle their cans/bottles.

On a side note, picked up a couple bunny design reusable bags at WinCo tonight for only .37 on the 75% off Easter Clearance.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

the environmentalists can complain all they want, more and more stores are not even allowing customers to even bring reusable into the store at this moment and are being stopped by security if they do try to bring it in. with california waving the bag fees, i expect save mart/foodmaxx to potentially be next to ban reusable bags.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Save Mart sent an email to customers on their email list saying all bag fees in all of their California stores are no more. Local bag fee laws supposedly are still in effect, but Save Mart and its various bannered stores are not charging. Local governments probably do not have the money or time to enforce such bag fees. They have other problems to deal with.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 25th, 2020, 4:45 pm Save Mart sent an email to customers on their email list saying all bag fees in all of their California stores are no more. Local bag fee laws supposedly are still in effect, but Save Mart and its various bannered stores are not charging. Local governments probably do not have the money or time to enforce such bag fees. They have other problems to deal with.
Save Mart did not give money to pass the bag ban in the first place like Raleys, Ralphs, and Safeway (huge $ given by them) did.

Save Mart was also unprepared when the bag ban went into place and was giving single use plastic bags out a month or two after the ban due to not having enough paper bags. I think Save Mart only has about 6 stores that are even subject to "local" bag bans with fees under the Save Mart banner, the 3-4 stores they have left in Sacramento city/county, the store in Davis, the store in Chico, and and the store in Truckee. Grass Valley has a bag ban but with no bag fee (though Safeway charges a bag fee there, Save Mart and Raleys do not charge a bag fee there) so I don't count that one.

I suspect Save Mart has thin bags ready to go to deploy out to its stores given they still keep them on hand for the Nevada stores.

I was in a CA Safeway yesterday in a town/county that had no bag ban of its own and they have no paper bags but are dispensing generic "Thank you for shopping with us" super thick plastic bags (no chain logo anywhere). No fee was assessed by the cashier. I am surprised they are still dispensing the super thick bags. Lately the Nevada Safeways have had super thick plastic bags as well but they have Safeway logo and something about serving "NORCAL" on them. Great to use those bags in Nevada given we are not "NORCAL" and giving those super thick bags where it is not necessary is a huge waste and increases plastic pollution. But, I suspect they ran out of the thin environmentally friendly bags they typically keep on hand for the Nevada Stores. I also went into a Walgreens in that town yesterday and they had no bags of any kind (thin, thick, paper, plastic- no bags). I was in the Walgreens for a good 20 minutes yesterday afternoon and the entire time I was in there, there were only 2 other customers. Surprising amounts of 90% off items sprinkled throughout that store (travel, candy, personal care, and more). They had just about everything in stock you could want except for masks. First store I have seen that was doing a quantity limit on aduit diapers (limit 1) and also on eye drops (??) and the shelves were overflowing.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to a Nob Hill Foods in San Ramon, California and I was given free thin plastic bags with no brand name. It was so refreshing to actually have free bags once again after all these years. No more ten cent charge and no more annoying pop up notices about how many bags did you take at the self checkout.