Sprouts Farmers Markets Credit Card Reader Breach

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Sprouts Farmers Markets Credit Card Reader Breach

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sprouts Farmers Markets has reported that credit card readers at their stores had malicious software that stole credit and debit card account numbers. Only some stores were affected.

This is interesting in that Sprouts is a relatively new supermarket chain and their credit card readers are quite new and supposedly modern. What this means is that modern credit card readers can be hacked and used to steal credit and debit card account numbers. Any store can be vulnerable to this type of attack whether or not they use the most modern and newest credit card readers.

Barnes and Noble also reported that their credit card readers were hacked in many of their stores. I noticed this when I went to Barnes and Noble and realized that they had gotten rid of their credit card readers. The cashiers had to take your card and swipe it through the cash register.

Also, newly opened CVS stores are now using huge new credit card readers. They seem almost as big as mini-notebook computer screens. They are capable of showing full motion videos or commercials. Now they are trying to blast us with commercials while we checkout.

http://sprouts.com/securityalertfaqs
storewanderer

Re: Sprouts Farmers Markets Credit Card Reader Breach

Post by storewanderer »

This is a bit different since PIN numbers were not stolen and the physical card readers themselves were not compromised. Rather, it was a situation where software was bugged and the compromise happened that way.

I see Save Mart has STILL not replaced its card readers. I know nowhere else using those readers now, if they are gone from Barnes & Noble. Dollar Tree has even replaced them...