Attempt to convert Baton Rouge Mall into Amazon Distro fails

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Attempt to convert Baton Rouge Mall into Amazon Distro fails

Post by storewanderer »

Due to Dillards not selling its building in the otherwise closed mall.

https://www.businessreport.com/newslett ... at-cortana

Appears this has been a standard way of Dillards doing things holding onto its spaces in otherwise dead malls and getting top dollar (top dollar for space in a dead mall that is) by being last hold out in the way of redevelopment projects.
klkla

Re: Attempt to convert Baton Rouge Mall into Amazon Distro fails

Post by klkla »

Good for them. It sounds like they don't let themselves get pushed around. I was surprised to find out that they own 244 of their 285 stores.
storewanderer

Re: Attempt to convert Baton Rouge Mall into Amazon Distro fails

Post by storewanderer »

They can keep running the "clearance store" indefinitely if they want to. Their clearance stores run on a very limited schedule (6 days a week/41 hours) and limited staffing. Better than having a vacant decaying building.

This clearance store, looks quite a bit nicer inside than the ones I went to in AZ (one of which appears to be gone now) and Las Vegas which were really dumpy stores.

I have been saying the real estate ownership is a huge plus for Dillards compared to its competitors. Granted I don't know how valuable that middle America mall anchor space real estate really is, compared to city blocks in San Francisco and New York that Macys has been sitting on and/or selling recently to raise cash, but, owning the real estate and having paid for it decades ago, can really help a business keep operating with low costs.