Macy’s 2020

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Macy’s 2020

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 25th, 2020, 9:40 am Macy';s just laid off 3,900 employees in their corporate offices:

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/ ... takes-toll
What does this company do? They lay off thousands every year. Every year they restructure and lay off "thousands." This year it seems like they have laid off "thousands" at least 3 times so far. I have to assume they also hire thousands every year.

No stability with this company at all. Eventually they will burn through most possible employees and nobody will want to work there anymore. What is odd is there are some long term sales clerks in the local Macy's. Nothing like the Dillard's with tons of people who have been there since it opened, but there are some old timers left at the local Macy's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Went to Macy's today in the Reno Mall.

The store was deserted of customers and staffing levels were very low. Curiously the mall itself had surprisingly good foot traffic. It looked like a busy weekend inside the mall. Was really surprised with traffic in the mall.

Also back to Macys, they are now spreading clearance items "Last Act" and "Backstage" throughout the store. Wasn't the whole point of "Last Act" to de-clutter the regular price areas and then the point of "Backstage" to reach a new customer who did not typically shop there? Well, whatever they have to do to get sales at this point... appears to be the name of the game. And from the looks of it, they badly need sales. The displays are clearly makeshift as the display signs for these satellite clearance displays within the main departments are black and white (photocopied signs). They do still have dedicated "Backstage" and "Last Act" departments.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Strangely enough I also went into a Macy's today in downtown LA.

The store was fairly busy. I entered on the third floor where the furniture department is and would estimate there was somewhere around 20 people shopping. Downstairs where the Men's department and part of Women's department is they had around 50 people shopping.

The store was pristine and fully stocked although this store has a fairly basic men's department. Nothing special. There were a lot of markdown racks but no more than usual.

They don't allow you to try anything on which makes sense but it really negates the purpose of shopping in person. I would have had a larger selection online.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: July 5th, 2020, 8:11 pm

They don't allow you to try anything on which makes sense but it really negates the purpose of shopping in person. I would have had a larger selection online.
In the Reno Store they have two "open" fitting rooms in the women's store and one "open" fitting room in the men's store. However they do have some odd signs around the folded men's button down dress shirts which advise that you cannot take them apart to try them on and to see an employee for assistance with measurements for shirt selection. After someone tries something on, they have to isolate the clothing that is tried on for some period of time (2 or 3 days maybe) before returning it to the sales floor.

Kohls in Reno has no open fitting rooms and no ability to try anything on. Not sure what JCP is doing despite being there twice; frankly would not want to go into a JCP fitting room anyway if its maintenance is like their men's customer restroom (which is a single stall one person at a time restroom that you can smell from walking by it).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: July 5th, 2020, 11:18 pm
klkla wrote: July 5th, 2020, 8:11 pm

In the Reno Store they have two "open" fitting rooms in the women's store and one "open" fitting room in the men's store. However they do have some odd signs around the folded men's button down dress shirts which advise that you cannot take them apart to try them on and to see an employee for assistance with measurements for shirt selection. After someone tries something on, they have to isolate the clothing that is tried on for some period of time (2 or 3 days maybe) before returning it to the sales floor.

Kohls in Reno has no open fitting rooms and no ability to try anything on. Not sure what JCP is doing despite being there twice; frankly would not want to go into a JCP fitting room anyway if its maintenance is like their men's customer restroom (which is a single stall one person at a time restroom that you can smell from walking by it).
This is all so frustrating for some of us......

When you have body dimensions that are difficult to match with sizes you just can't buy online or in person without trying it on.

With a 29 inch waist and a 34 inch inseam for pants along with uncommon shirt requirements, I just can't buy anything right now. Nor even bespoke clothing (which I often purchased).

Oh well, one positive is that I'm saving money....lol.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Macy's will be hosting a "slimmed down" Thanksgiving Day parade this year.
https://t.co/90vmlOce1J
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I noticed that the Macy's in Concord, California got rid of the Lenscrafters recently. The remodel put gray carpeting in and expanded the sales floor. They even put carpet over the bare concrete floors from the last remodel. No more concrete. It does look much better. Concrete floors are for warehouse clubs or discount retailers.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Macy's added a Toy Department to its Women's store in Concord. It had an assortment of stuffed animals, games, and toys. I do not remember Macy's having a Toy Department in the past. There were some items from the Discovery Channel. I remember when there were Discovery Channel stores. Those were great stores with many scientific toys, Animal Planet stuffed animals, crystals, lab experiments, model airplanes, dinosaurs, shark toys, science books, fossils, helicopters, etc. The predecessor was a company called The Nature Company which had even better science related items.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've seen Macy's do temporary toy departments for the holidays some years. Way back I seem to recall a co-brand with FAO Schwartz- that must have been a while ago. I think their Backstage Stores have had a few toys in recent years as well.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Macy’s is officially jumping into the dark store trend, converting their stores at Dover Mall in Dover, DE and Southwest Plaza in Littleton, CO into online fulfillment centers. There will be a service desk available for online pickup and returns, but the remainder of these stores will be closed off to shoppers.