Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

Post by veteran+ »

In S. Cali many restaurants have converted their parking lots to outdoor dining.

Many cities have repurposed street parking to dining "parks".

Congested areas like NYC have not faired to well with trying to repurpose space.
Super S

Post by Super S »

veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 4:36 am In S. Cali many restaurants have converted their parking lots to outdoor dining.

Congested areas like NYC have not faired to well with trying to repurpose space.
Repurposed street parking? That seems like a very bad idea especially if it's a busy street.

I have already mentioned why outdoor dining doesn't really work in my area. I will also add that I really do not like eating outside, even when visiting nicer areas on vacation etc. if I am at a restaurant. Eating outside has all sorts of hazards that are not present when eating inside, and I personally would rather get food to go or eat at home.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Super S wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 7:57 am
veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 4:36 am In S. Cali many restaurants have converted their parking lots to outdoor dining.

Repurposed street parking? That seems like a very bad idea especially if it's a busy street.

I have already mentioned why outdoor dining doesn't really work in my area. I will also add that I really do not like eating outside, even when visiting nicer areas on vacation etc. if I am at a restaurant. Eating outside has all sorts of hazards that are not present when eating inside, and I personally would rather get food to go or eat at home.
In Northern California where it was implemented it seemed to work fairly well as it was in neighborhoods where there was ample additional street parking (or garage parking) as well as a decent amount of residents accessible by foot and/or public transit. I understand that it doesn't work everywhere but my experience with it in San Francisco and Berkeley, CA was positive.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Many innovative formats.

Mini tent set ups, plexi glass separations with umbrellas, etc.

Most designed with foliage, etc.

We do have the weather on our side most of the time.

;-)
Super S

Post by Super S »

arizonaguy wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 8:11 am

In Northern California where it was implemented it seemed to work fairly well as it was in neighborhoods where there was ample additional street parking (or garage parking) as well as a decent amount of residents accessible by foot and/or public transit. I understand that it doesn't work everywhere but my experience with it in San Francisco and Berkeley, CA was positive.
The Applebee's location I mentioned earlier in this thread basically has a tent set up by one of the doors in about 5 or 6 parking spaces. It's not an ideal setup as this is up against a main entry road for the shopping center. I expect this to disappear in the next couple weeks as we shift back to Standard time.
Super S

Post by Super S »

And that Applebee's tent is gone as of tonight.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I noticed in the past couple days all of the tents are gone from the few restaurants that had them, here in Reno area. It only took a week of nights below 50 degrees for that to go away...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Indoor dining is back in Northern California. When there are choices between outdoor and indoor dining when it gets cold, people will choose indoor dining. There will be increases in COVID-19 cases anytime you have people indoors and unmasked.

It is unfortunate. California was doing quite well and the number of cases was going down in most areas.

I also noticed that Chuck E. Cheese was open for indoor games until 9 PM. I am surprised that there are even enough customers to keep the doors open. They got rid of the $5 pizza and wings deal. I do not have any incentive to go back.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:41 pm Indoor dining is back in Northern California. When there are choices between outdoor and indoor dining when it gets cold, people will choose indoor dining. There will be increases in COVID-19 cases anytime you have people indoors and unmasked.

It is unfortunate. California was doing quite well and the number of cases was going down in most areas.

I also noticed that Chuck E. Cheese was open for indoor games until 9 PM. I am surprised that there are even enough customers to keep the doors open. They got rid of the $5 pizza and wings deal. I do not have any incentive to go back.
Until they can go back to full capacity inside they should probably continue the $5 deal for online orders or to-go orders. Issue is probably thinking people will do the $5 deal then dine in (but if they dine in they are probably playing the video games...). I understand wanting to get full margin out of dine in customers but there are ways to continue to cater to those who have no interest in dine in and will go elsewhere without the promotion.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

So much for mask requirements and lockdowns in Cali....Disneyland is still closed and the cases are increasing.