New WinCo Foods locations out of Shopko Bankruptcy

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

New WinCo Foods locations out of Shopko Bankruptcy

Post by SamSpade »

It sounds like WInCo bought the buildings, I guess from the bankruptcy court or REIT?
1) Bend, Ore.
2) Eugene, Ore. (3rd in Eugene-Springfield area)
3) Missoula, Mont. (across street from Rosauers)
4) Wenatchee, Wash.

*New store: Centralia, Wash. (Centralia Station, wasn't this originally Fred Meyer?)

Shopko stores are a little larger than a typical WinCo but perhaps they will attempt to partition for a small retailer such as a dollar store or a small plaza where appropriate.
Super S

Re: New WinCo Foods locations out of Shopko Bankruptcy

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: September 28th, 2020, 11:03 am It sounds like WInCo bought the buildings, I guess from the bankruptcy court or REIT?
1) Bend, Ore.
2) Eugene, Ore. (3rd in Eugene-Springfield area)
3) Missoula, Mont. (across street from Rosauers)
4) Wenatchee, Wash.

*New store: Centralia, Wash. (Centralia Station, wasn't this originally Fred Meyer?)

Shopko stores are a little larger than a typical WinCo but perhaps they will attempt to partition for a small retailer such as a dollar store or a small plaza where appropriate.
Centralia Station was indeed where Fred Meyer was originally planning a new store. I am not sure if construction has started there or not though. Lewis County does not have much competition...you have Safeway, Walmart, and locally owned Fuller's, the same owner was operating the Shop 'N Kart that was in the Yard Birds center that closed. And the smaller towns have a handful of independents, IGA, etc.

I drove by the closed Shopko in Lacey a couple weeks ago. It's looking sad with weeds overgrown in the lot, their portion has been blocked off by concrete barriers. There is a WinCo already close by though and nothing really stands out as a retailer that would want that space. The big retailers for the most part have established locations just to the north and south already.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: September 28th, 2020, 11:03 am

Yes.... sure would have liked to see a new Fred Meyer. At least the folks in Centralia will get a new store.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: September 29th, 2020, 12:05 am

Yes.... sure would have liked to see a new Fred Meyer. At least the folks in Centralia will get a new store.
Maybe.

Delays in permitting etc. is what led to Fred Meyer backing out. Hopefully they don't make this mistake again.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: September 30th, 2020, 9:48 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 29th, 2020, 12:05 am

Maybe.

Delays in permitting etc. is what led to Fred Meyer backing out. Hopefully they don't make this mistake again.
The next Fred Meyer store likely the new one they recently announced in Bend,.OR. they are colocating with a new Costco. No one has said if these are replacement stores or additions.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Costco will be a replacement... not sure about Freddy’s. Bend is big enough for two Fred Meyers though.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Off Topic
According to the news media in Bend, Fred Meyer has wanted a second northern location for years. So this will likely be a supplemental to their Redmond and Bend (south/central) locations.

Costco wants more space or better visibility? Why are they relocating?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: November 11th, 2020, 9:15 am
Off Topic
According to the news media in Bend, Fred Meyer has wanted a second northern location for years. So this will likely be a supplemental to their Redmond and Bend (south/central) locations.

Costco wants more space or better visibility? Why are they relocating?
The current Bend location is one of the few Costco's without a gas station, and there's no room for one. Parking is really tight too.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I was in Centralia today and drove by the site where Centralia Station is proposed, where WinCo is supposedly locating. No signs of any new development as of yet. It has been nearly two years since Fred Meyer backed out. I really hope that the delays are due to the current pandemic situation and not delays in permitting again, but I am already seeing similarities to how things progressed (or didn't) with Fred Meyer including a lack of updates on the progress of this project.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: November 28th, 2020, 1:40 pm I was in Centralia today and drove by the site where Centralia Station is proposed, where WinCo is supposedly locating. No signs of any new development as of yet. It has been nearly two years since Fred Meyer backed out. I really hope that the delays are due to the current pandemic situation and not delays in permitting again, but I am already seeing similarities to how things progressed (or didn't) with Fred Meyer including a lack of updates on the progress of this project.
If WinCo abandons this site too I guess I will bag a little less on Kroger for lack of new store activity at the Fred Meyer division. This site seems to have some odd issue(s). Would expect development in this type of area to be pretty straightforward...