Seattle Mayor trying to block West Seattle Whole Foods

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Seattle Mayor trying to block West Seattle Whole Foods

Post by marshd1000 »

I thought you would like to know that Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn is trying to block construction of a Whole Foods Market in a new mixed use development in West Seattle. So KIRO radio host Dori Monson has made a post on the KIRO radio website about all of it.

But I will give full disclosure here. I despise this mayor. I am middle of the road guy when it comes to politics. So on different issues I am on one side and on some the other. But this mayor is so out there in his transportation and economic policies it is ridiculous! I won't go into a rabbit trail any further here! But I hope Whole Foods gets to build that store!

Here is the link:

http://kiroradio.com/76/2316734/Whole-F ... Whos-right
Alpha8472

Re: Seattle Mayor trying to block West Seattle Whole Foods

Post by Alpha8472 »

The mayor seems to be saying that Whole Foods would cause grocery store workers' wages to go down.

I think that the people of the city need all the jobs that they can get. Whole Foods pays their employees a decent wage and those who work over 20 hours get benefits. Denying Whole Foods doesn't make much sense.

Is the mayor being given money by a competing grocery store chain or what?
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Seattle Mayor trying to block West Seattle Whole Foods

Post by marshd1000 »

Alpha8472 wrote:The mayor seems to be saying that Whole Foods would cause grocery store workers' wages to go down.

I think that the people of the city need all the jobs that they can get. Whole Foods pays their employees a decent wage and those who work over 20 hours get benefits. Denying Whole Foods doesn't make much sense.

Is the mayor being given money by a competing grocery store chain or what?
No, actually the mayor just got the endorsement of the local United Food and Commercial Workers Union. The talk show host at KIRO FM basically called Mayor McGuinn a "Vote Wh$&e" by calling him a "Vote Streetwalker". I am NOT anti union. But I am for integrity in government. I actually like Whole Foods. I live in West Seattle. I would like to be able to shop there. I believe that there will be people who will want to go there. But i don't think it will put the nearby Safeway and QFC out of business. I also believe that there needs to be jobs. But I did NOT vote for this Bozo! Actually because the mayor is a avid bicycle advocate, people who mock him call him "Mayor McSchwinn". I agree! OK....off my soapbox!