Newly remodeled QFC store in Redmond (photos)

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Newly remodeled QFC store in Redmond (photos)

Post by Brian Lutz »

Last night I visited a QFC store I used to do most of my grocery shopping at before I moved away from the area (the Bella Bottega store in Redmond) and found that it has recently undergone a complete remodeling, which appears to use basically the same decor as other recently opened Kroger Fresh Fare stores I have seen at least one other QFC in the area that has begun the remodeling process as well.

The main changes made here are the relocations of several departments; The wine and liquor got moved from the front of the store to the opposite corner in the back, the produce department got moved to the area the wine department got moved out of (and compressed into a bit less space, it was fairly spread out in the old store layout,) and the pharmacy got moved as well. They have also eliminated the floor tiles and switched to polished concrete, which seems to be the popular way to go these days.

This is what the new produce department looks like.

Here are the new aisle signs, which appear to match those of other Fresh Fare stores.

Perhaps the most interesting thing here is that even though a lot of stores have been reducing or entirely phasing out self checkouts, this store is adding more, bringing the total of self checkout stations up to 12 (I believe the previous store layout had only 4.)

This store has always been a little bit odd due to the fact that it happens to be less than half a mile away from another QFC store located in Redmond Center. This store was originally an Olson's prior to the acquisition of that chain by QFC, while the other store opened as a QFC several years earlier. In spite of their being just a few blocks from each other, both QFC stores have coexisted for close to 20 years now, so apparently they get enough business to keep both of them viable.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Newly remodeled QFC store in Redmond (photos)

Post by marshd1000 »

It has been years since I have been in that store. I know that for awhile, it still had the Olson's decor package. So is this the first or second remodel as a QFC?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

No, this store has had the Fresh Fare decor in it for quite a while now. I don't know about QFC, but generally Fred Meyer looks to remodel their stores roughly once every ten years.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There are at least two Seattle QFCs with this decor. I couldn't easily tell you which; one has a Bartell on top with a parking platform. The other has a QFC gas station and is east of I-5. Both have Seattle addresses.

This is standard Kroger decor now. I don't mind it on a store with an exposed ceiling but don't care for it in a store with a drop ceiling.

5 of 6 Reno area Smiths have this decor. Oddly none of them have it with quite what I'd call "proper" configuration (exposed ceiling and cement floor).
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

storewanderer wrote:There are at least two Seattle QFCs with this decor. I couldn't easily tell you which; one has a Bartell on top with a parking platform. The other has a QFC gas station and is east of I-5. Both have Seattle addresses.

This is standard Kroger decor now. I don't mind it on a store with an exposed ceiling but don't care for it in a store with a drop ceiling.

5 of 6 Reno area Smiths have this decor. Oddly none of them have it with quite what I'd call "proper" configuration (exposed ceiling and cement floor).
The two QFC's you are talking about are Harvard Market (on Capital Hill) and NE 145th Street (a former Olson's). Also the Wallingford QFC (former Food Giant) has this decor package.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

The Idaho Falls, Idaho, Smith's has this décor. They kept the drop ceiling and the floor tiles in that store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Did they replace any of the floor tiles in the Idaho Falls Smiths? Like, around the perimeter of the store?

Those old Smiths had a very tan awful looking colored tile around the perimeter, then on the general aisles, a more neutral white/almond colored tile.

Sparks and Carson Smiths were both very similar to Idaho Falls. Carson Smiths got its floor tiles replaced around the entire perimeter. Sparks, got its floor tiles replaced only in about the front 1/4 of the store. The back perimeter areas still have old tan tiles and a patchwork fix of various white, pink, and other assorted colored tiles and looks horrible. They only spent $800,000 on Sparks; $1.5 million on Carson. Both stores needed a lot more investment. I suspect Idaho Falls got similar minimal treatment to Sparks.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

kr.abs.swy wrote:The Idaho Falls, Idaho, Smith's has this décor. They kept the drop ceiling and the floor tiles in that store.
Many of the Fry's Food and Drug stores around Phoenix also have this decor (or variations of it). Notable exceptions are the Fry's Signature stores, the Fry's Marketplace stores, and the Fry's stores that are former Marketplace stores but were converted to Food and Drug stores.

It really has made the chain a lot less interesting and varied than it was in the early 2000s when pretty much every store had a different interior depending on whether or not it was a former Fry's or Smith's or Smitty's or a new build early 2000s Fry's.