Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Sears/Kmart has shockingly made it to 2021.
Sears has 54 stores left.
Kmart, meanwhile, is down to 5 stores each in CA and FL, one each in Guam, MD, MA, MI, MT, 4 each in NJ and NY, 3 in PA, 6 in Puerto Rico, and 4 on Virgin Islands.
So yes, Kmart is down to 36 stores (only 25 in the continental US). There are very huge sections of the US without a Kmart at this point.
How much longer until the plug is pulled?
Super S

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by Super S »

I don't see these chains lasting much longer. The logistics aren't good any more, and they are already perceived by many as out of business due to how many have closed already. but then again, we might still be having this same discussion a year from now...I don't think many of us thought they would still be around now.
Last edited by Super S on January 5th, 2021, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Kmart merchandising operation is basically torn up. The only part of the store that still runs on a plan-o-gram is the grocery/drug area (C&S is supplying most if not all items to them). The rest of the store gets weird random items, in random quantities, in random brands, from random sources. Kmart's house brand merchandise is still showing up on some random softlines items but not many.

I really think they were planning to shut things down last year on the Kmart side, but for some reason due to COVID kept them open longer.

Not sure on the Sears side- that one Sears I have been to in Sacramento, was quite well stocked. But many brands are out of there; Levis, Nike, etc. no longer sold at Sears. But there seem to be more private label items there at Sears still. I am assuming some private labels may not have transferred to the new company after the bankruptcy filing.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Abandoned Kmart in Fort Collins, CO torn down, will be replaced with King Soopers
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 630571002/
Five Kmart store leases sold to Target
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 09023.html
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Jackson, Wyoming will be happy to have a Target but may have been a little better served by a Walmart.

The KMart has closed for some time at that location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Scotts Valley, CA has been closed for over a year too.

Target is clearly counting on the tourist trade in Jackson. Also seasonal employees will probably enjoy having Target there. And for the locals it is better than an empty building. But clearly not the best fit.

I think that will be the third Target in Wyoming? Wyoming has 12 Wal Mart locations.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

So counting the still open stores of the five on the list, that will leave K-Mart with how many locations still operating? I mean just end the charade already and pull the plug for crying out loud! What is left to be gained by this "death by a thousand cuts" strategy?
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I agree, I don't see the point of this, especially given Kmart is not a full service retailer anymore. Eddie must be trying to get every penny he still can, but I don't see how there are any pennies to be made anymore.

Lately I've noticed some of the more popular Sears lines transitioning to be sold through other retailers such as Amazon, Walmart and Lowes. Mostly the Craftsman brand, and Kenmore floorcare. I'm not sure who has rights to the Kenmore brand at this point, I understand they were looking to sell it a few years back.

Advance Auto has gotten the Diehard brand batteries.
Super S

Post by Super S »

cjd wrote: January 16th, 2021, 4:02 pm I agree, I don't see the point of this, especially given Kmart is not a full service retailer anymore. Eddie must be trying to get every penny he still can, but I don't see how there are any pennies to be made anymore.

Lately I've noticed some of the more popular Sears lines transitioning to be sold through other retailers such as Amazon, Walmart and Lowes. Mostly the Craftsman brand, and Kenmore floorcare. I'm not sure who has rights to the Kenmore brand at this point, I understand they were looking to sell it a few years back.

Advance Auto has gotten the Diehard brand batteries.
A big reason Sears was able to stay afloat was because they were the only place that sold Kenmore, Craftsman, DieHard, and other brands. Offering those at Kmart I can see, but when those brands show up at Lowe's, Ace hardware, Advance Auto, and other stores, Sears has lost the advantage of having exclusive, well-regarded private label brands. That was one of the few reasons to shop there.

Unlike Sears and Kmart, JCPenney is at least giving the impression that they are trying to keep their stores open...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: January 16th, 2021, 4:02 pm I'm not sure who has rights to the Kenmore brand at this point, I understand they were looking to sell it a few years back.

Sears still owns the Kenmore brand. It seems to be one of the last things they have not sold.

I think they are collecting royalties from these parties they sold Craftsman, Diehard, etc. to, for all items in those brands sold by other retailers for a certain number of years after the sales of the brands took place... I am wondering if they somehow have to keep some stores open (to appear as if they too sell the product) in order to collect royalties from the companies they sold the other brands to? And if they had no more stores left the royalty agreement would somehow void off?