Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

storewanderer

Re: Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 8:20 am
My point was that Oregon is responding to their Covid uptick (one of the few States trending in the wrong direction right now).
Closing indoor dining is not the right response. The restaurant industry has had enough in the past year (what is left of it). Cut the capacity, cut it to 25%, etc. but at this point closing indoor dining is a proven failure that accomplishes nothing. The states that never closed indoor dining in the first place have not really had any different results than the states that did.

Not that I'd promote indoor dining right now but folks need to make their own decisions based on what they are comfortable doing.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 11:19 am
veteran+ wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 8:20 am
My point was that Oregon is responding to their Covid uptick (one of the few States trending in the wrong direction right now).
Closing indoor dining is not the right response. The restaurant industry has had enough in the past year (what is left of it). Cut the capacity, cut it to 25%, etc. but at this point closing indoor dining is a proven failure that accomplishes nothing. The states that never closed indoor dining in the first place have not really had any different results than the states that did.

Not that I'd promote indoor dining right now but folks need to make their own decisions based on what they are comfortable doing.
I respectfully disagree and this is not the place to explain why. "Comfortable" does not always save lives.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Keep it closed or open it all back up is probably a moot point because a majority of people probably don't feel comfortable with indoor dining right now. I'm one of them in spite of the fact I got my second dose of Moderna a while back and become officially fully vaccinated in a few days. It's going to take a lot for me to even set foot in a restaurant to just pick up food let alone eat it there.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Here in Northern California, Taco Bell and Boston Market are open again for indoor dining. Some McDonald's, Burger Kings, and Wendy's are also open.

The Walmart McDonald's are busy with indoor diners.

Indoor dining at fancy restaurants is very popular. Outdoor dining is a little more popular.

Chick-fil-a is open for take out and drive thru.

Chuck E Cheese is open for games and indoor dining. I have see people using the game machines.

Buffets have reopened with cafeteria style lines.

I think that many people have lost their fear of indoor dining as the vaccination rate in California is very high right now.

The thing I find strange is that no one seems to wear masks while picking up drive thru orders.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 12:07 am
Buffets have reopened with cafeteria style lines.

The thing I find strange is that no one seems to wear masks while picking up drive thru orders.
The drive thru thing may be that people figure they are not as close (even though they are still fairly close), or just that most wouldn't be wearing a mask while driving and just forget to put it on (or pull it up if you have the type that stays around your neck).

The buffet style thing is interesting. There is a small chain in PA (which isn't fully buffet, more like the Ponderosa/Bonanza style with meals and a large salad bar which many people order by itself as a meal).
They reopened that over the summer last year and as far as I can tell have had it open since (save a few weeks where no indoor dining was allowed in that state). They only ask people to wear a mask and provide disposable gloves to handle the utensils on the bar/buffet.

Doesn't seem that hard to do (even if the gloves may not really be needed).