Shari's moving away from 24 hours in some locations

Super S

Shari's moving away from 24 hours in some locations

Post by Super S »

I had dinner yesterday at the Shari's in Kelso, WA and noticed that the location is no longer open 24 hours. Instead it is open 6AM to 1AM Sun-Thurs. and 6AM to 2AM Fri-Sat. I have seen a few "in town" locations which were not 24 hours, but this one is right next to I-5, and usually busy, so it surprised me a little. There is a Denny's across the street which I think is still 24 hours which may be a factor here. There is also a McDonald's which at one point was 24 hours but am not sure if that is still true, and this Shari's is also next to a convenience store/gas station. However, looking at the Shari's website, some are still 24 hours, some are 24 hours on weekends only, and some are not 24 hours at all.

I am kinda curious if Shari's is making this decision or if they are leaving this up to the individual locations.
Alpha8472

Re: Shari's moving away from 24 hours in some locations

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are many restaurants such as IHOP that used to be 24 hours across much of the chain, but in recent years have reduced hours.

The restaurant may not get enough customers between 1 AM and 6 AM to justify staffing the restaurant. I know that many restaurants are having severe staffing issues in recent years. Unemployment is at an all time low. No one wants to work at 1 AM to 6 AM for minimum wage. If a company requires 1 AM overnight shifts, the employees would rather quit. There are many jobs out there with better hours.

Companies now have to treat employees better in order to attract more employees. No more grueling hours. The late night hours are when diners are most likely to be robbed, or employees are assaulted. This is especially the case right next to freeways where robbers can flee quickly using the freeway.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 8th, 2019, 11:36 pm There are many restaurants such as IHOP that used to be 24 hours across much of the chain, but in recent years have reduced hours.

The restaurant may not get enough customers between 1 AM and 6 AM to justify staffing the restaurant. I know that many restaurants are having severe staffing issues in recent years. Unemployment is at an all time low. No one wants to work at 1 AM to 6 AM for minimum wage. If a company requires 1 AM overnight shifts, the employees would rather quit. There are many jobs out there with better hours.

Companies now have to treat employees better in order to attract more employees. No more grueling hours. The late night hours are when diners are most likely to be robbed, or employees are assaulted. This is especially the case right next to freeways where robbers can flee quickly using the freeway.
While I will not disagree about the robbery factor, chains such as Shari's and Denny's often locate near freeways to make a 24 hour operation feasible to begin with. There is a Shell convenience store/gas station next door as well as an AMPM nearby which are 24 hours, plus 5 hotels in close proximity (out of those, only Red Lion has an onsite restaurant). It still strikes me as an area where a 24 hour restaurant should still be feasible. Especially when the only other 24 hour options in Longview-Kelso are fast food establishments, most of where only the drive-thru is open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It might just be staffing issues. It seems to be easier to find staff to work until 2 AM, and who will come in to open at 5 AM, than it is to find staff willing to work that 10 PM to 6 AM shift.

Some of these service businesses need to make some tough decisions given the current labor situation where you cannot find labor to do these jobs anymore at the rates the businesses want to pay people. Cutting hours of operation so you need fewer employees, and can present a more desirable scheduling option to those interested, is the low hanging fruit fix.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Shari's in Richland, WA has closed.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:11 am Shari's in Richland, WA has closed.
I have heard that Shari's is not doing well with all of the COVID restrictions. Shari's is one of only a handful of restaurants I have eaten at in the past year, and I noticed that all of the counter seating was taken out and the restaurant was not very busy. I would not be surprised to see more closures.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

I don't think Newberg is 24x7 anymore either, at least when I was there in October they weren't. I'll be going to Twin Falls next weekend (Oregon trip got cancelled) - I'll have to see what their hours are.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

From what I've seen Shari's has been contracting for years, long before COVID. I only know of a couple of remaining locations in the area, where there used to be quite a few. Then again, Denny's hasn't exactly thrived here either, and a lot of their locations in this area have closed as well. IHOP, on the other hand, seems to have remained fairly stable, and has even opened a couple of locations in the past few years. They do seem to have adapted to the switch to more takeout better than some places have, and one location near here actually installed a pickup window near the building entrance so takeout and delivery orders can be picked up without the need to enter the building.

Back to the original topic, during the COVID restrictions I was seeing the one Denny's location remaining in Everett closing as early as 7pm. Even now, the location shows hours of 6am-10pm. Another location on I-5 in Arlington shows hours of 7am-8pm Sunday to Thursday, 8am to 10pm on Friday and Saturday. Most IHOP locations in the area have similar hours currently, although I don't think any of the ones here have ever been 24 hour locations.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:03 am From what I've seen Shari's has been contracting for years, long before COVID. I only know of a couple of remaining locations in the area, where there used to be quite a few. Then again, Denny's hasn't exactly thrived here either, and a lot of their locations in this area have closed as well. IHOP, on the other hand, seems to have remained fairly stable, and has even opened a couple of locations in the past few years. They do seem to have adapted to the switch to more takeout better than some places have, and one location near here actually installed a pickup window near the building entrance so takeout and delivery orders can be picked up without the need to enter the building.

Back to the original topic, during the COVID restrictions I was seeing the one Denny's location remaining in Everett closing as early as 7pm. Even now, the location shows hours of 6am-10pm. Another location on I-5 in Arlington shows hours of 7am-8pm Sunday to Thursday, 8am to 10pm on Friday and Saturday. Most IHOP locations in the area have similar hours currently, although I don't think any of the ones here have ever been 24 hour locations.
IHOP had a successful take-out program from Applebee's to build off of. IHOP has definitely gotten that right.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Shari's also moved much of its corporate office to San Diego and Dallas. Good bet most people now working in corporate haven't even visited or had a meal at Shari's.
https://www.fsrmagazine.com/chain-resta ... ind-scenes