Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by cjd »

Does anyone know how Sears' R&D is at this point? Are there any product designers or engineers left at the company? If you look on the Sears site it doesn't look like much has been added to the Kenmore line in quite some time. If there are so few stores left, it makes you wonder if it's worth it at this point to produce a line of appliances exclusively for the Kenmore brand.

In much of the country it's pretty much impossible to get Kenmore appliances anymore, so it's mainly a dead brand going forward even if stores are still open in some places.

I remember a year or two ago they were looking to sell the appliance and parts division to Amazon, but I don't think they were able to get it through. I wonder why Lowes wouldn't want the Kenmore brand since they got Craftsman.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

cjd wrote: September 25th, 2021, 10:35 am Does anyone know how Sears' R&D is at this point? Are there any product designers or engineers left at the company? If you look on the Sears site it doesn't look like much has been added to the Kenmore line in quite some time. If there are so few stores left, it makes you wonder if it's worth it at this point to produce a line of appliances exclusively for the Kenmore brand.

In much of the country it's pretty much impossible to get Kenmore appliances anymore, so it's mainly a dead brand going forward even if stores are still open in some places.

I remember a year or two ago they were looking to sell the appliance and parts division to Amazon, but I don't think they were able to get it through. I wonder why Lowes wouldn't want the Kenmore brand since they got Craftsman.
I doubt they have any R&D. They are probably just contracting with manufacturers to make appliances with their label.

I believe certain Kenmore appliances are being sold at Lowe's and other retailers, so perhaps someone will buy the brand sooner or later. It's probably Transformco's last major asset that they want to monetize before liquidating.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

At one time Kenmore appliances were custom spec'ed for Sears, or at least had slight differences. Now though it looks like a lot of it just has a different logo slapped on an identical unit.

I haven't seen Kenmore appliances in other stores. However, I know the vacuum cleaners are sold on most of the big box retailers' websites Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart all sell them. And I have heard that Kenmore vacuums are stocked in some Target stores. So as you say they are probably trying to expand sales for the brand before they sell it. From what I understand the vacuums are one thing that is custom made for Sears, and the ones they sell in other retailers are in specific colors, possibly for warranty reasons.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

cjd wrote: September 25th, 2021, 10:35 am Does anyone know how Sears' R&D is at this point?...
"Reduce & Destroy" appears to have been the only R&D going on for the past several years at Sears.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Sears Mexico (which was spun off from Sears in 1997) might change its name.
https://www.america-retail.com/mexico/s ... das-sears/
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

Not sure if this Twitter account is official, but it suggests the last store in Michigan (Marshall) is set to close:

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 25th, 2021, 8:37 pm Sears Mexico (which was spun off from Sears in 1997) might change its name.
I wonder if they are having to pay the US Sears to use its name.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:54 am Not sure if this Twitter account is official, but it suggests the last store in Michigan (Marshall) is set to close:

That's the last Kmart in the entire Midwest.
Judging by the amount of stores closed this year, I expect Kmart to be gone by 2022.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:35 pm
DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:54 am Not sure if this Twitter account is official, but it suggests the last store in Michigan (Marshall) is set to close:

That's the last Kmart in the entire Midwest.
Judging by the amount of stores closed this year, I expect Kmart to be gone by 2022.
What's crazy about this is that Kmart is now leaving their home state. Furthermore, they are closing up shop in the same round as the last Sears in Illinois, the latter's home state!
storewanderer wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:08 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 25th, 2021, 8:37 pm Sears Mexico (which was spun off from Sears in 1997) might change its name.
I wonder if they are having to pay the US Sears to use its name.
I'm surprised about this move. This chain could do the Sears legacy really well, same thing with Kmart Australia. Perhaps they just want that little bump in sales from rebranding.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

You know it's bad when the last stores in home states close...
They'd be better off rebranding the remaining territorial Kmarts as Sears, and closing the remaining mainland Kmarts. Not that rebranding to Sears makes a difference anyway.