Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Walmart observations

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:26 pm

The SCAN guarantee has been modified through the years here (for the benefit of the retailer as usual).

It used to be with certain retailers that if the item scanned wrong you get it for free (within limits) and other various combinations. As far as I have seen, it has devolved to guarantee price correction........................
I too have about had it with Wal Mart. It is fine until you have to engage with an employee. Also the website is still really good if you can find what you are looking for (items not carried in the local store seem to be very hard to find on their updated app but you can still eventually find them and order a shipment).

At Rite Aid in CA the scan guarantee is as stated- scans wrong you get the item free. No max value.
Save Mart- same thing- printed on the back page of the ad- item scans wrong you get the item free. No max value.
Safeway/Vons banners- item free up to max value $5 and if it is $5+ you get it at lowest marked price plus $5 in the form of a gift card
Albertsons- do they have the same policy as Safeway/Vons now in CA? Outside CA the Albertsons still seem to give you the item free with no max value.
CVS- item free up to $4 (or $4 immediate discount) if scans wrong- policy displayed on pinpad at regular register (maybe not on self checkout pinpad)
WinCo- items with UPC only- item free if scans wrong- policy on check writing policy on check writing table; you will be treated like a thief if you try to claim this offer.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:34 pm
veteran+ wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:26 pm

The SCAN guarantee has been modified through the years here (for the benefit of the retailer as usual).

It used to be with certain retailers that if the item scanned wrong you get it for free (within limits) and other various combinations. As far as I have seen, it has devolved to guarantee price correction........................
I too have about had it with Wal Mart. It is fine until you have to engage with an employee. Also the website is still really good if you can find what you are looking for (items not carried in the local store seem to be very hard to find on their updated app but you can still eventually find them and order a shipment).

At Rite Aid in CA the scan guarantee is as stated- scans wrong you get the item free. No max value.
Save Mart- same thing- printed on the back page of the ad- item scans wrong you get the item free. No max value.
Safeway/Vons banners- item free up to max value $5 and if it is $5+ you get it at lowest marked price plus $5 in the form of a gift card
Albertsons- do they have the same policy as Safeway/Vons now in CA? Outside CA the Albertsons still seem to give you the item free with no max value.
CVS- item free up to $4 (or $4 immediate discount) if scans wrong- policy displayed on pinpad at regular register (maybe not on self checkout pinpad)
WinCo- items with UPC only- item free if scans wrong- policy on check writing policy on check writing table; you will be treated like a thief if you try to claim this offer.
That, is very interesting!

I have argued with Vons, Albertsons and Pavilions about this (clerks). When I ask for the "manager" he/she begrudgingly honors that policy, as if they are doing me a favor.

Ralphs flat out says, no!

Kudos to Rite Aid. I wonder if stated policy is clear at store level.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:17 pm Five months (and counting) since I've set foot in a Wal-Mart and after reading all these stories guess I'm not really missing out on all that much am I.
I've only stepped inside a Walmart twice in the past five months:

1. My asshole of a cat decided to revenge urinate on my couch (I caught him in the act, but unfortunately some damage was already done) and it was late in the evening. Walmart was the only place still open after 10pm where I could get the pet enzyme spray.

2. Walmart is apparently the only store (at a limited number of locations) that's selling Waffle Crisp cereal since Post brought it back. I got two bags so that I won't have to go back any time soon.

Otherwise, I only go to Target if I can help it. The abysmal staffing, the circus of a parking lot and the completely aloof customers who shop there (I'm not talking about anyone personally here that shops at Walmart, so please don't take offense) gives me hives.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 4:06 am Walmart used to have department managers who would spend their days changing price tags and restocking the shelves. Then they fired them a year or 2 ago. Now no one changes the price tags, and customers have to get price adjustments, and the store loses money.

To save a little money, they cut jobs. Then the store loses money when cashiers have to price adjust items to an old outdated price. In the end, Walmart loses more money than the cost of one employee who would fix the outdated prices. The previous manager was not really cut. They just got reassigned to restocking duties. So there really is no cost savings.

The department manager also helped customers find items and watched out for shoplifters. Now that no one watches the shelves, there is more shoplifting and more customers who complain about not being helped. So you lose loyal customers and you get more theft.
In all fairness, I don't know of anyone who's actually loyal to Walmart. People only go there because the products are typically the cheapest and (before COVID) they were the only "general" store open late.

Conversely, with Target, at least people who go there do so intentionally while knowing the prices are higher because the stores are less crowded, more organized and the decor gives an overall upscale feel.

Since Walmart seems to have done away with their 24-hour operating model, once they're no longer competitive on pricing, they'll quickly go the way of places like Sears and Kmart.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: October 24th, 2021, 6:54 am Otherwise, I only go to Target if I can help it.
Heading down NYS Route 30 towards Amsterdam, Target is on the right side of the road and Walmart is across from it on the left. For some unexplained reason, my Jeep Cherokee just refuses to make a left turn there and takes me into Target every time-go figure :mrgreen:
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: October 24th, 2021, 6:06 pm
DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: October 24th, 2021, 6:54 am Otherwise, I only go to Target if I can help it.
Heading down NYS Route 30 towards Amsterdam, Target is on the right side of the road and Walmart is across from it on the left. For some unexplained reason, my Jeep Cherokee just refuses to make a left turn there and takes me into Target every time-go figure :mrgreen:
:lol:

Right on brotha!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 9:28 pm I think Wal Mart struggles in the Pacific Northwest against Fred Meyer. There are pockets where Wal Mart seems to have very busy stores and areas where Wal Mart has opened where Fred Meyer has not, but generally speaking when the two are up against each other the Wal Marts just don't seem as busy as I am used to seeing Wal Marts.
Looking at SamSpade's post on the Roth's sale, Walmart is no better than #5 market share in Metro Portland.
If Walmart does start to collapse like Kmart 10-20 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if Portland is exited first, along with the Boston area.
storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:34 pm I too have about had it with Wal Mart. It is fine until you have to engage with an employee. Also the website is still really good if you can find what you are looking for (items not carried in the local store seem to be very hard to find on their updated app but you can still eventually find them and order a shipment).
I don't blame you.
I haven't been to a Walmart in almost 2 years. Their stores are dirty and sad places to shop in. I buy a lot of store brand products, and I am not a fan of their Great Value brand. The Walmart employees I have dealt with are usually unfriendly.

As I've mentioned before, I split my grocery shopping between Albertsons and Sprouts. Sprouts for produce and organic products, Albertsons for everything else.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:38 am
storewanderer wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 9:28 pm I think Wal Mart struggles in the Pacific Northwest against Fred Meyer. There are pockets where Wal Mart seems to have very busy stores and areas where Wal Mart has opened where Fred Meyer has not, but generally speaking when the two are up against each other the Wal Marts just don't seem as busy as I am used to seeing Wal Marts.
Looking at SamSpade's post on the Roth's sale, Walmart is no better than #5 market share in Metro Portland.
If Walmart does start to collapse like Kmart 10-20 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if Portland is exited first, along with the Boston area.
storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:34 pm I too have about had it with Wal Mart. It is fine until you have to engage with an employee. Also the website is still really good if you can find what you are looking for (items not carried in the local store seem to be very hard to find on their updated app but you can still eventually find them and order a shipment).
I don't blame you.
I haven't been to a Walmart in almost 2 years. Their stores are dirty and sad places to shop in. I buy a lot of store brand products, and I am not a fan of their Great Value brand. The Walmart employees I have dealt with are usually unfriendly.

As I've mentioned before, I split my grocery shopping between Albertsons and Sprouts. Sprouts for produce and organic products, Albertsons for everything else.
With the lack of stores in the Portland market, Walmart is a nearly a non factor. However, Walmart struggles to compete with WinCo. The price conscience shopper is going to WinCo and not Walmart in Portland. WinCo generally beats them on prices, is better stocked and the stores are cleaner.and better maintained.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

babs wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:52 am
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:38 am
I don't blame you.

With the lack of stores in the Portland market, Walmart is a nearly a non factor. However, Walmart struggles to compete with WinCo. The price conscience shopper is going to WinCo and not Walmart in Portland. WinCo generally beats them on prices, is better stocked and the stores are cleaner.and better maintained.
WinCo seems to do better in markets where they seemed to have more of an established presence prior to Walmart's entry into grocery.

They were supposed to be a force to be reckoned with in the Phoenix market (with dozens of sites purchased) but lost interest after opening only 7 stores between 2012 - 2015.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The problem with Winco is that they do not have a pharmacy or a large over the counter medication section. You can find a better selection at Walmart in addition to vitamins. There is also a better selection of garden products, plants, sporting goods, clothing, and auto parts. The toy section at Walmart is much better.