Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by buckguy »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Super S wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:25 pm https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/11/09 ... years-end/

This report, as well as several others I have read, are saying that Kmart will have SIX stores left in the Continental U.S. by year's end. And the few remaining stores are desperate for workers, some offering up to $25 an hour.

I think this is it for Kmart.
I wonder if Walmart will buy the stores in the territorial US?
There isn't much to buy and unless Walmart wants the land, the stores generally are too small for them.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Since the year is almost over, I guess the answer to this thread's subject question is "no."
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

For some odd reason, in Houston, Transformco has opened a few Sears Hometown stores in or near old Sears stores. The one in MacroPlaza Mall (Pasadena Town Square) even uses the old Sears signage after the department store closed but never removed (the Sears Hometown does not open into the mall, unfortunately).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen Living Spaces open up inside of an abandoned Kmart in San Leandro, California. The store looks great with amazing lighting and furniture displays. There are many employees asking if you need help. This store that has great customer service. The stores seem very popular now due to all the new home sales.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on November 11th, 2021, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: November 11th, 2021, 7:45 am Since the year is almost over, I guess the answer to this thread's subject question is "no."
I guess I can still drive to Concord or Stockton and go into a Sears... guessing both will make it into 2022.

But Kmart is a goner once Grass Valley closes the week before Christmas.

It is amazing it went this long. I really think had COVID not hit in 2020, they would have shut the whole thing down in 2020. I don't think they took any PPP loans either.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 11th, 2021, 9:52 pm
J-Man wrote: November 11th, 2021, 7:45 am Since the year is almost over, I guess the answer to this thread's subject question is "no."
I guess I can still drive to Concord or Stockton and go into a Sears... guessing both will make it into 2022.

But Kmart is a goner once Grass Valley closes the week before Christmas.

It is amazing it went this long. I really think had COVID not hit in 2020, they would have shut the whole thing down in 2020. I don't think they took any PPP loans either.
Several months back I went in to the Sears at Southcenter here in WA. It seemed low budget for a Sears, had a strong mold smell, and the whole store just seemed "off". I have heard that they closed the third floor which is not a good sign. I certainly won't be making a special trip to go there, although I might make a visit to that area in the next few weeks for other reasons and might pop in.

Sears as a brand (with the Hometown stores etc.) may hang on a little longer, but Kmart is no longer a player at this point in the U.S.
buckguy wrote: November 11th, 2021, 6:24 am
I wonder if Walmart will buy the stores in the territorial US?
There isn't much to buy and unless Walmart wants the land, the stores generally are too small for them.
[/quote]

And the stores are generally old. It will take a lot to remodel them. Some sites with land could be attractive for Walmart though if they wanted to demolish and rebuild.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Kmart's last store in NYC is closing: https://hudsonvalleypost.com/6-popular- ... on-valley/
I heard that this Bronx Kmart was very profitable for them. With "profitable" stores like Grass Valley and NYC now getting the axe, I expect them to pull out of the continental US within 4 months.

Stores left in the continental US:
Hamilton, MT
Miami, FL
Key West, FL
Avenel, NJ
Westwood, NJ
Bridgehampton, NY
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

buckguy wrote: November 11th, 2021, 6:24 am
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: November 10th, 2021, 2:50 pm I wonder if Walmart will buy the stores in the territorial US?
Might just depend on where they are - for instance there was one (fairly recently) in a more touristy type area that seemed to have stricter rules on buildings.
So they might go for something like that only since it may be the only way for a Walmart type store to get into that area.
I always reference the Bennington (VT) store that was in an old 5&10 at around 55,000 Square Feet - they did eventually get to add on but even then it is still around 100,000 Sq. Ft., so quite smaller than most stores. However, had they not done that it's likely there would be no store there now (unless they grabbed that town's Kmart, but that was only in the last few years where Walmart has been there for 20 or so now).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: November 12th, 2021, 2:24 pm Stores left in the continental US:
Hamilton, MT
Miami, FL
Key West, FL
Avenel, NJ
Westwood, NJ
Bridgehampton, NY
OK, who in NJ knows Eddie? That Avenel store has to be the strangest choice to remain as one of the last 6 in the country - in a plaza with a defunct Pathmark (after that bankruptcy in 2015) and on a street that gets traffic but isn't the main route in the area...
Super S

Post by Super S »

BillyGr wrote: November 12th, 2021, 4:48 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: November 12th, 2021, 2:24 pm Stores left in the continental US:
Hamilton, MT
Miami, FL
Key West, FL
Avenel, NJ
Westwood, NJ
Bridgehampton, NY
OK, who in NJ knows Eddie? That Avenel store has to be the strangest choice to remain as one of the last 6 in the country - in a plaza with a defunct Pathmark (after that bankruptcy in 2015) and on a street that gets traffic but isn't the main route in the area...
Never mind NJ....I want to know how Hamilton, MT is still open.