The slow death of Quizno's ?

Super S

Re: The slow death of Quizno's ?

Post by Super S »

There probably comes a point where too many of the same restaurants could eventually compete with each other. Especially if owned by different franchisees, where differences such as one location offering different cheeses, some not offering free pop refills, and different standards of cleanliness come into play. Most Subway locations in this area are pretty consistent, but I have been to a few which were very dirty and run down inside (where I ended up not eating at). Sometimes it can be hard to maintain standards when you reach the number of locations Subway has, but this is an issue to some extent at most national chains.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

Quizno's has entirely pulled out of the Colorado Springs market, with only a couple of stores in the Denver metro area left, including their original store. The former Quizno's closest to my house recently turned into an Arby's. (Oddly enough, this Arby's uses the old logo on their signs.)

Subway is everywhere. Really the only competition that they get now if from smaller chains like Jimmy John's, Blimpie (which now is down to one location), Firehouse Subs, in addition to grocery stores deli's and small local restaurants.
Forum Moderator
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Apparently Quizno's financial situation is getting worse....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/crisis-qu ... 00292.html
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Quizno's is going to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. This means that they are going to reorganize. Supposedly, they are doing this to get rid of their debt so that they can remodel and advertise again. They are also going to start selling "Toasty Pasta."

I think that they need to do a lot more than that if they want to survive. They are now stuck in the middle of everything. They are mediocre in food and not cheap enough. They can't compete with fast food burger restaurants and they also can't compete with upscale sandwich restaurant chains. Where does this leave them? I still think they won't survive long even after a reorganization. Trying to sell pasta won't save them.

http://nrn.com/franchising/quiznos-fran ... ness-model
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The pasta is already on the menu around here, and I tried it the other day. It was decent but not anything particularly exceptional (I had to add salt for it to have much flavor at all.) In terms of toasted sandwiches, Potbelly (a relative newcomer to this area) has a similar product, but seems to do a better job with the concept and also seems to have better prices overall. There typically isn't much reason to go to Quizno's, even though the one near my office is several blocks closer (and much less hiking uphill) than Potbelly is.

There have been a number of Quizno's stores that have closed in the area over the past few years, but it does seem like the store count has held steady for a while now. Other businesses that have taken over former Quizno's locations seem to be doing pretty well though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

We have not had any Quiznos close here in Reno area in over one year now. I think we only have four locations left.

I had their pasta in the Denver Airport at some restaurant that was affiliated with Quiznos, I want to say Chef Johnny's or something. It was decent, yes, but would not wow you.

How is it being prepared in the Quiznos? Is pasta being boiled fresh to order then topped with sauce? This preparation method should preserve quality over the heat lamp method often employed by fast pasta places.

On an unrelated side note on the topic of fast food heat lamp pasta, a couple weeks ago 155 of the mall Sbarros closed...
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

As far as I could tell, the noodles seemed to be precooked (not sure if it was precooked in store or delivered that way, although I have to imagine that storing precooked pasta isn't a particularly efficient use of storage space) with sauce, toppings and cheese applied at the counter before running it through the conveyor oven to heat it up. It was plenty hot when it was served, although as I said, it definitely needed some salt.

As for Sbarro, now there's a place that I have no idea how they manage to stay in business. That place is so generic it's ridiculous.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Brian Lutz wrote:As for Sbarro, now there's a place that I have no idea how they manage to stay in business. That place is so generic it's ridiculous.
Maybe that many of them are in places where choices are limited (like on the highways - maybe a choice of them and a Burger place or such)? Therefore not as much to compare them to.

Back to the topic, I think the only places that there are still Quiznos around here are a couple of the NYS Thruway rest areas, as the rest have closed.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

In general, most of the remaining Sbarro locations around here tend to be mall food court locations, often one of 10 or more choices available (typically at malls where there isn't a Sbarro there's Villa Pizza, which is pretty much just as generic.) Aside from those, I think there's a few in airports, but I don't think I've ever seen one outside of those environments. Ironically, I think at Sea-Tac Airport there's a Sbarro right next to a Quizno's on concourse B...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Brian Lutz wrote:In general, most of the remaining Sbarro locations around here tend to be mall food court locations, often one of 10 or more choices available (typically at malls where there isn't a Sbarro there's Villa Pizza, which is pretty much just as generic.) Aside from those, I think there's a few in airports, but I don't think I've ever seen one outside of those environments. Ironically, I think at Sea-Tac Airport there's a Sbarro right next to a Quizno's on concourse B...
You probably haven't seen them in locations like the highway ones, since, I'm thinking, there aren't many (any?) toll highways out that way?
Since NY, NJ (and other surrounding states) in particular have many more toll roads, they have the service areas, where the free interstate roads generally don't.
The other thing that might help them in a mall - while there may be 10 choices of places to eat, how many aside from Sbarro are offering pizza? Maybe one other, maybe none? Whereas, several chains might offer different types of sandwiches, a couple might offer salads of some sort, etc.
So, if someone is in the mall thinking about pizza (or walking by and seeing it) they may be more likely to be drawn there, since they might otherwise have to leave the mall to get pizza.