DSW inside of Hy-Vee

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

DSW inside of Hy-Vee

Post by pseudo3d »

A few years ago (2020) amidst much doom and gloom, Hy-Vee introduced another non-grocery retail element into their stores, mini-DSW shops and as of this writing, there are 17 mini-shops.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/news/hy ... shop-shops
https://www.hy-vee.com/corporate/our-company/dsw

From the press picture, it looks pretty small and not much in-store inventory (one of the other pictures does show some inventory, though it shares the space with Joe Fresh), with a "scan to buy" system.

The idea isn't new (H-E-B once did a Payless ShoeSource mini-store in Laredo back in 2003, but it never went anywhere) but I find it refreshing that Hy-Vee is experimenting with non-food items when a lot of other grocers seem to want to be straying from the concept.
Bakeragr
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: DSW inside of Hy-Vee

Post by Bakeragr »

Their new location in Springfield, MO that is getting ready to open has signs on the exterior for DSW, Joe Fresh, Wahlburgers, and something called "The W Nail Bar." Not sure what that last one is, but the "W" looks like a Walgreens "W". I almost thought it was partnered with Walgreens like CVS has with Schnucks.
The new store on East Sunshine Street looks like it is very close to opening, but no date has been announced yet. The "Fast & Fresh Express" gas station in front of the store is open, however.
This store is at an excellent location and will be incredibly busy when it does finally open. It's been in the works for ten years, I believe. They sat on the land forever.
storewanderer

Re: DSW inside of Hy-Vee

Post by storewanderer »

I think Hy-Vee is what scared Dillons out of Springfield.

Hy-Vee seems to have this flex space built into their newer stores stores somewhere in the neighborhood of frozen foods and nutrition and drug, and you see this DSW thing in some, Joe Fresh or whatever it was in others, etc.

I think DSW ran/supplied the shoe departments in Stein Mart.