Now they shoplift right off the train...

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Now they shoplift right off the train...

Post by ClownLoach »

Story in today's news. Pictures are unbelievable. If they can't steal from a store now they are stealing your Amazon packages before they ever get to your house.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/13/la-train- ... ontainers/
storewanderer

Re: Now they shoplift right off the train...

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:29 am Story in today's news. Pictures are unbelievable. If they can't steal from a store now they are stealing your Amazon packages before they ever get to your house.

This surprises me. I thought the railroads had a lot of precautions in place to prevent this sort of thing.

I guess the theft rings overtook their prevention programs.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Railroad tracks often cross roads and at those locations the fencing is open. If they could completely enclose the tracks with barbed wire fencing, then the tracks would be more secure. I see trains covered in graffiti all the time. There is too much access to trains. You would need armed guards on every train to prevent theft.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:08 am
ClownLoach wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:29 am Story in today's news. Pictures are unbelievable. If they can't steal from a store now they are stealing your Amazon packages before they ever get to your house.

This surprises me. I thought the railroads had a lot of precautions in place to prevent this sort of thing.

I guess the theft rings overtook their prevention programs.
Listening to the news this afternoon - Union Pacific is threatening to stop servicing the Port of LA because they are seeing between 90 and 100 shipping containers looted every night at the LA rail yards near downtown. They had 17 cars derail a few days ago likely due to debris on the tracks from this looting. Apparently they arrest the individuals responsible for this and the DA is not pushing for serious charges so they're back on the street (and back in the rail yard) within hours of being booked. I don't think Los Angeles has been a worse mess in my lifetime - it's even scarier now than when they had the riots in the early 1990s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 17th, 2022, 5:29 pm

Listening to the news this afternoon - Union Pacific is threatening to stop servicing the Port of LA because they are seeing between 90 and 100 shipping containers looted every night at the LA rail yards near downtown. They had 17 cars derail a few days ago likely due to debris on the tracks from this looting. Apparently they arrest the individuals responsible for this and the DA is not pushing for serious charges so they're back on the street (and back in the rail yard) within hours of being booked. I don't think Los Angeles has been a worse mess in my lifetime - it's even scarier now than when they had the riots in the early 1990s.
I wonder how much of the current and ongoing logistics problems, were actually a result of these sorts of crimes? But it is just now coming to light this is what is going on... I am sure the labor shortages and COVID at the ports are part of the bottleneck but if you then have this sort of thing happening down the chain it creates yet another problem.

And if rail cars were targeted, perhaps trucks were being targeted too (at truck stops, parked in yards, etc.).

Hard to believe Union Pacific would stop servicing Port of Los Angeles but there are other ports. But would the crime just follow?

I guess they need a literal army of armed security down there to monitor things. But.. oh, labor shortage again... plus would those people who take the security job be in danger?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Yeah, I wonder if this kind of thing is happening in other parts of the USA, including what storewanderer suggested!

But of course, America and the World will concentrate on Los Angeles like it is the end of the world here.

When it comes to Los Angeles and California the go to, is always hyperbole.

I am not diminishing this issue, just sayin.................................

;)
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:49 am Yeah, I wonder if this kind of thing is happening in other parts of the USA, including what storewanderer suggested!

But of course, America and the World will concentrate on Los Angeles like it is the end of the world here.

When it comes to Los Angeles and California the go to, is always hyperbole.

I am not diminishing this issue, just sayin.................................

;)
The focus is on California because the DAs and others have effectively legalized shoplifting, and even arrests made mean they're back on the streets within 24 hours. This is not happening in other major U.S. ports because theft is dealt with more seriously and arrests will stick.

I'm not sure what the end-game is, but there's only so long how long the problem can be ignored, and not just be waved off, like implying that Walgreens in downtown SF didn't try hard enough.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Perhaps, but I suspect it is more complicated than that.

Everyone loves to hate California and those broad strokes are very convenient.

8-)
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

I'm moving this to Online Retailers, it has nothing at all to do with supermarkets in California. I'm also providing a warning, as I am worried this will devolve into forbidden subjects.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:05 am
The focus is on California because the DAs and others have effectively legalized shoplifting, and even arrests made mean they're back on the streets within 24 hours. This is not happening in other major U.S. ports because theft is dealt with more seriously and arrests will stick.

I'm not sure what the end-game is, but there's only so long how long the problem can be ignored, and not just be waved off, like implying that Walgreens in downtown SF didn't try hard enough.
I don't know much about the laws. Is breaking into trains and stealing items in transport the same law being broken as shoplifting? I am surprised the trains do not have their own special rules/protections. It may be time they get them. I suspect if someone broke into an airplane parked at an airport and stole cargo, the, literally, book would be thrown at them for breaking numerous laws.

If these folks are getting released after Union Pacific forces arrest them and refer them, it sounds like even if not the same exact laws apply here, the same old thing is happening as happens to a retail store shoplifter.