Albertsons continues to disappear from WA

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Albertsons continues to disappear from WA

Post by Brian Lutz »

The "Redmond" store isn't really in Redmond, it's well outside the city on Highway 202 in a fairly rural area, but still with a Redmond address. I believe it was opened during the Supervalu era (one of very few, Supervalu closed a lot more stores than they opened), and seems to survive mostly on being the only store within convenient driving distance for a lot of people in the Union Hill / North Sammamish areas, although it probably helps that those areas are pretty affluent as well.
HCal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albertsons continues to disappear from WA

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:05 pm If converting Albertsons banner stores to Safeway was such a slam dunk move as they thought it would be in CO, they'd have already done the conversions in CA, AZ, OR, WA, WY, and MT... actions speak louder than words. At this point they are basically the same store...

https://local.albertsons.com/wa.html
In large markets like CA, where each banner has hundreds of stores, it makes sense to keep both. It's amazing how many people I know who still haven't realized they are the same company, despite getting a combined circular in the mail every week.

I imagine that in smaller markets it might make more sense to standardize. And I'm still surprised that they decided to call the combined company Albertsons when Safeway stores are far more numerous.