Hy-Vee coming to Zionsville, IN

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Hy-Vee coming to Zionsville, IN

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

As part of Hy-Vee's expansion plan southeast, they will be opening a store in Zionsville, Indiana; an upscale Indianapolis suburb.
150,000 sqft!!
https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... iana-store
pseudo3d

Re: Hy-Vee coming to Zionsville, IN

Post by pseudo3d »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 4:35 pm As part of Hy-Vee's expansion plan southeast, they will be opening a store in Zionsville, Indiana; an upscale Indianapolis suburb.
150,000 sqft!!
150k square feet? It's great to see that grocers still want to build large-format stores. H-E-B seems to have backed off on its size, they had built a 182k square foot "Plus" store about a decade ago, but now seem content to not even hit 120k square feet even for its largest stores, and a lot of that is their curbside/fulfillment center stuff instead of new merchandise.

I would guess that a good chunk of Hy-Vee is going to be dedicated to this sort of fulfillment center.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

I wondered how they were going to rollout stores over such a large territory. It may be that they are starting with large "destination" stores like those built by Wegman's. Zionsville is the kind of place that probably gets corporate transfers which might make it open to something new rather than tied to existing loyalties and affluence would support higher margin fresh foods. A destination store strategy would differentiate them from Publix. It'll be interesting to see if their initial stores in Nashville and Memphis will have similar sizes and location types.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That seems very large. I wonder if they will use a significant portion of that space to fulfill online orders.

Hy-Vee does need 100k square feet to do what they do generally speaking but they can do it in smaller stores too.

I don't think the stores around MSP are this large, I think they are more in the 100k square foot range.

It is going to take an awful lot of volume for a 150k square foot store to work.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote: January 27th, 2022, 6:29 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 4:35 pm As part of Hy-Vee's expansion plan southeast, they will be opening a store in Zionsville, Indiana; an upscale Indianapolis suburb.
150,000 sqft!!
150k square feet? It's great to see that grocers still want to build large-format stores. H-E-B seems to have backed off on its size, they had built a 182k square foot "Plus" store about a decade ago, but now seem content to not even hit 120k square feet even for its largest stores, and a lot of that is their curbside/fulfillment center stuff instead of new merchandise.

I would guess that a good chunk of Hy-Vee is going to be dedicated to this sort of fulfillment center.

I only wish I had access to a store like that!

Love to get all my stuff at one place and not have to visit other stores!

:P
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

buckguy wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:31 pm I wondered how they were going to rollout stores over such a large territory. It may be that they are starting with large "destination" stores like those built by Wegman's. Zionsville is the kind of place that probably gets corporate transfers which might make it open to something new rather than tied to existing loyalties and affluence would support higher margin fresh foods. A destination store strategy would differentiate them from Publix. It'll be interesting to see if their initial stores in Nashville and Memphis will have similar sizes and location types.
I do wonder. Large selections and deluxe specialty departments in the vein of Wegmans/Giant Eagle Market District, hypermarkets with lots of GM, or just a fulfillment center tacked on.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BatteryMill wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:50 pm
buckguy wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:31 pm I wondered how they were going to rollout stores over such a large territory. It may be that they are starting with large "destination" stores like those built by Wegman's. Zionsville is the kind of place that probably gets corporate transfers which might make it open to something new rather than tied to existing loyalties and affluence would support higher margin fresh foods. A destination store strategy would differentiate them from Publix. It'll be interesting to see if their initial stores in Nashville and Memphis will have similar sizes and location types.
I do wonder. Large selections and deluxe specialty departments in the vein of Wegmans/Giant Eagle Market District, hypermarkets with lots of GM, or just a fulfillment center tacked on.
Hy Vee will probably have a 10k square foot sit down restaurant space in this store; perhaps it will be two sit down restaurants.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

BatteryMill wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:50 pm
The Giant Eagle Market Districts I've seen have been pretty disappointing--they seem to have more of their usual mediocre stuff rather a lot of higher end or specialty offerings.