2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: 2022: 12 Kmart, 25 Sears stores remain...

Post by marshd1000 »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:36 am It really is sad. Do you think in a weird turn of events that Amazon will take over some of these abandoned Sears stores?
Amazon has done that here in the Seattle metro area. A portion of the 1st and Lander store in Seattle's SODO is a Amazon Fresh Delivery/Pick Up point. The remainder of that is the Starbucks Reserve/Princi Bakery location. But the former Sears location at The Commons at Federal Way is becoming a Amazon Fresh grocery store.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

marshd1000 wrote: March 7th, 2022, 8:08 am
Alpha8472 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:36 am It really is sad. Do you think in a weird turn of events that Amazon will take over some of these abandoned Sears stores?
Amazon has done that here in the Seattle metro area. A portion of the 1st and Lander store in Seattle's SODO is a Amazon Fresh Delivery/Pick Up point. The remainder of that is the Starbucks Reserve/Princi Bakery location. But the former Sears location at The Commons at Federal Way is becoming a Amazon Fresh grocery store.
In what century do you expect them to finally open Federal Way? It has been sitting built and mothballed for some time now.

I can't believe how badly Federal Way has deteriorated in my somewhat limited experience of five years. That mall they are threatening to open in has basically died entirely except for Target and its still a miserable pain to get in and out of. I was nearly hit twice trying to get out of there in November. I went into a nearby Walmart and seriously thought I had tripped into one of those brutal northern California areas - store was beyond filthy and nearly everything in the store was locked in glass cases including nearly all of men's clothing (all socks, underwear, undershirts, jeans, work pants and accessories). They had a Walmart security person on a Segway who was zooming around the racetrack nearly running customers over. And you could smell the restrooms from halfway across the store. The parking lot had numerous piles of broken car auto glass in every aisle.

In that neighborhood I'm sure that the Amazon Just Walk Out tech will take on a whole new meaning especially with the SoundTransit rail extension going in that will help ferry the homeless right to Amazon Fresh.

I saw the Pickup location at the Starbucks HQ but I think it has been shut down "until further notice" aka forever.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

ClownLoach wrote: March 8th, 2022, 12:32 am
marshd1000 wrote: March 7th, 2022, 8:08 am
In what century do you expect them to finally open Federal Way? It has been sitting built and mothballed for some time now.

I can't believe how badly Federal Way has deteriorated in my somewhat limited experience of five years. That mall they are threatening to open in has basically died entirely except for Target and its still a miserable pain to get in and out of. I was nearly hit twice trying to get out of there in November. I went into a nearby Walmart and seriously thought I had tripped into one of those brutal northern California areas - store was beyond filthy and nearly everything in the store was locked in glass cases including nearly all of men's clothing (all socks, underwear, undershirts, jeans, work pants and accessories). They had a Walmart security person on a Segway who was zooming around the racetrack nearly running customers over. And you could smell the restrooms from halfway across the store. The parking lot had numerous piles of broken car auto glass in every aisle.

In that neighborhood I'm sure that the Amazon Just Walk Out tech will take on a whole new meaning especially with the SoundTransit rail extension going in that will help ferry the homeless right to Amazon Fresh.

I saw the Pickup location at the Starbucks HQ but I think it has been shut down "until further notice" aka forever.
While Federal Way doesn't look like a slum it has gone downhill. As for the mall, they really need to tear it down and go open air/power center/town center in its concept and just keep the anchors and start over. I live closer to the Factoria Amazon Fresh store and it seemed like they sat on that awhile before it was opened!
Super S

Post by Super S »

ClownLoach wrote: March 8th, 2022, 12:32 am

I stopped at the mall very briefly yesterday on my way home from visiting family further north. The way they are doing the rail extension looks like it will drop off right at the mall. It will be interesting to see what happens there....the mall was in REALLY bad shape before Target came in, and if it wasn't for Target, Kohl's and Dick's, as well as the cinema, I am not sure the mall would even be open right now. I remember going in there shortly before Target came in and that end of the mall was mostly vacant. It has actually bounced back a little.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Avenel, NJ is most likely to close next. Only three (!) Kmarts left in the 50 states; no one state has a majority or plurality in the store count after this.
TheBigSmall
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by TheBigSmall »

Breaking News:

Avenel, NJ Kmart is now officially slated to close. The closing date is unknown.

https://www.sb360.com/select-projects/e ... ears-list/
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: 2022: 10 Kmart, 23 Sears stores remain...

Post by submariner »

TheBigSmall wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:22 am Breaking News:

Avenel, NJ Kmart is now officially slated to close. The closing date is unknown.

Updated Post #1. Based on the previous announcement, I'm speculating a 2-month window for 8 May.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

TheBigSmall
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by TheBigSmall »

submariner wrote: March 9th, 2022, 6:04 pm

Updated Post #1. Based on the previous announcement, I'm speculating a 2-month window for 8 May.
Closing date is April 17th, 2022.
timanny
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by timanny »

I don't understand why they are still closing one by one at this point. Just shut it all down.