Publix Pharmacies Ending Free Prescriptions

Alpha8472

Publix Pharmacies Ending Free Prescriptions

Post by Alpha8472 »

Publix is ending their free prescription program June 1, after giving away over 100 million free prescriptions. The free program started in 2007. There were four free antibiotics up to a 14 day supply. There were also 90 day supplies of blood pressure and diabetes medications.

These were loss leaders. The free medications attracted customers to shop. However, with rising drug costs the pharmacies are losing money on these. Many people will take advantage of the free prescriptions and not buy anything else.

Even Walmart has mostly gotten rid of their $10 discounted prescriptions. The drug prices have gone way up in the past few years. Now some of those medications are $24 or even $38 for a 90 day supply.

I work in a pharmacy and many medications are actually made in Europe. Many brand name drugs are made in England, Ireland, and France. With the rising cost of transportation, the drug prices are going up.

There many drugs made in Israel and India also. The pharmacy that I work at does not use any made in China medications. I am really surprised.