What Stores Will Close?

California. No non-grocery posts.
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: What Stores Will Close?

Post by luckysaver »

Amazon announced yesterday that the Tarzana Whole Foods (on Ventura Blvd in the City of Los Angeles) will permanently close after May 5. About a dozen other Whole Foods will also permanently close by the end of the month, mostly in the South and East Coast. This is part of Amazon's plan to close a large number of their brick-and-mortar stores.

I've been to this store a few times and it is a quiet location (corner of Ventura and Yolanda), as the nearby Woodland Hills stores (Fresh on Topanga Canyon and Whole Foods on Ventura and Corbin) are quite busier. I think its closure is justified.

luckysaver
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

luckysaver wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 12:34 am Amazon announced yesterday that the Tarzana Whole Foods (on Ventura Blvd in the City of Los Angeles) will permanently close after May 5. About a dozen other Whole Foods will also permanently close by the end of the month, mostly in the South and East Coast. This is part of Amazon's plan to close a large number of their brick-and-mortar stores.

I've been to this store a few times and it is a quiet location (corner of Ventura and Yolanda), as the nearby Woodland Hills stores (Fresh on Topanga Canyon and Whole Foods on Ventura and Corbin) are quite busier. I think its closure is justified.

luckysaver
Only 6 Whole Foods are closing.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

I used to live in that area before WF built that Tarzana store. The center replaced an old movie theater. It was rumored there was a lot of cost overruns and the store was never busy. The store has bad street visibility and the underground parking lot was a terrible design. The new Amazon Fresh is opening (in the old Ralph's location) down the street. Maybe that's another reason for this closure.
klkla

Post by klkla »

This will be good for the Gelson's in Tarzana which just did a remodel a year ago but never got any promotional benefits for it because of Covid.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Perhaps, but if I had to guess either Trader Joes or Sprouts would lease the space. Also, the Vons on Reseda and Ventura has been trying to expand for years since they own the property. The store is currently crap. I could see them moving if the got a good lease deal..