New WinCo slated for Sparks, NV

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
Grocery101
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: New WinCo slated for Sparks, NV

Post by Grocery101 »

I stopped in the day after opening. Nice store. Definitely feels better than the one on Northtowne Lane. Save Mart did respond with a mailer to nearby customers. $10 off $50 purchase, some various free items, as well as a few other coupons.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: New WinCo slated for Sparks, NV

Post by storewanderer »

Grocery101 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 10:37 am I stopped in the day after opening. Nice store. Definitely feels better than the one on Northtowne Lane. Save Mart did respond with a mailer to nearby customers. $10 off $50 purchase, some various free items, as well as a few other coupons.
That is good Save Mart did something to market to the nearby customers. As a shopper from way out of the store's trade area going into Save Mart, I did not get to see any of those efforts. I just saw a very high priced store. Also a store with a very disorganized aisle layout (don't know what coffee/tea is doing over in the middle of the horizontal aisles with drug sandwiched between pet products and cleaning supplies). Also can't believe they kept floral (which Save Mart staffs with produce staff) in no man's land in drug department over at the end of checkstands by pharmacy despite having ample space to move it right by the front door and then right by produce who staffs it during their remodel.

First thing Save Mart needed to do was to get pricing on key perishables down at least close to WinCo. Don't start a price war but at least come within 5%. Bananas .77/lb, Gallon Whole Milk 4.19, Dozen Large Eggs 3.69- these prices are all way too high. Even higher than Safeway. They just look stupid pricing like that.

Bigger problem for Save Mart would be if another conventional opened out there. I think Smiths would do fantastic and also think Safeway could do well. Not sure Smiths is equipped to open a new store in the market at this point; they seem to be having major operational issues in Reno/Carson City. Safeway pulled it off very well with South Reno though so anything is possible. And the other area Safeways look better too after the company had that record breaking opening in South Reno and got a rejuvenated attitude for the market.