Kroger Online Delivery

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
jamcool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by jamcool »

Kroger is going full blast into on-line delivery, what with the Ocado facilities being placed even is areas where Kroger has no stores. It makes you wonder if the regional store names under Kroger will eventually go away, between mostly Kroger branded products, Kroger Health, Kroger Delivery, Kroger Financial, Kroger branded credit cards, etc. Maybe they will keep the upscale brands like Harris Teeter, QFC, Fred Meyer, etc.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 5:34 pm Kroger is going full blast into on-line delivery, what with the Ocado facilities being placed even is areas where Kroger has no stores. It makes you wonder if the regional store names under Kroger will eventually go away, between mostly Kroger branded products, Kroger Health, Kroger Delivery, Kroger Financial, Kroger branded credit cards, etc. Maybe they will keep the upscale brands like Harris Teeter, QFC, Fred Meyer, etc.
The regional brands basically have gone away. The signs are still out front but that is about it. At Smiths they have these now hiring signs that say Smiths then have a picture of employees in blue shirts that say Kroger. This is the type of crap Safeway was doing when they had zero regard for the regional brands. The difference of course is that Safeway ruined the stores it bought and sent customers away.

While I am not happy with what has come of Kroger's operation especially in the past six or so years, the fact is the stores are much higher volume under Kroger at the present time, than they were in, let's just say, 2002 (when the divisions were basically all doing their own thing). Kroger has obviously brought things to the table for many of these stores to drive sales and maintain that volume. So there is that.

I think Fred Meyer, QFC, Food4Less, Mariano's, and FoodsCo are all safe banners that simply would not make sense to convert to Kroger as they are basically different formats. Harris Teeter would also be dumb to convert to Kroger because Harris Teeter is able to command higher prices and has a better reputation than Kroger in like markets. At that point if you still have that many "other banners" you are keeping, maybe you just keep them all.

It would also cost a lot to rebrand the stores. I'm not sure it would be worth it. They could basically route all web traffic that goes to ralphs.com or whatever.com to Kroger.com.
Brian Lutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by Brian Lutz »

Fred Meyer would be difficult for Kroger to rebrand just because of the risk of lost brand loyalty, but QFC would probably be a lot easier. Ever since they remodeled most of the QFC stores out of the Fresh Fare decor package they've basically moved them more and more toward generic Kroger decor and operations, to the point that I'm not sure there's much to distinguish a QFC from any other Kroger store anymore. That said, I think they'd more likely shut down the QFC division and roll what's left into Fred Meyer before they'd rebrand the stores to Kroger.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kroger Online Delivery

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:16 pm Fred Meyer would be difficult for Kroger to rebrand just because of the risk of lost brand loyalty, but QFC would probably be a lot easier. Ever since they remodeled most of the QFC stores out of the Fresh Fare decor package they've basically moved them more and more toward generic Kroger decor and operations, to the point that I'm not sure there's much to distinguish a QFC from any other Kroger store anymore. That said, I think they'd more likely shut down the QFC division and roll what's left into Fred Meyer before they'd rebrand the stores to Kroger.
QFC is much different from a standard Kroger operation in one way- pricing. Outrageous pricing. And it is uncalled for given their offering (standard Kroger stuff, nothing special anymore).

To be fair I know a few of QFC's flagship stores do have better offerings, but the lines sure do blur at most QFCs. Those ones around Portland are a complete joke. I'd shop in a Safeway before them, every time.