Taco Bell Crispy Chicken Tacos

Alpha8472

Taco Bell Crispy Chicken Tacos

Post by Alpha8472 »

They brought back the crispy chicken tacos. Taco Bell seems to release good items, but only for a limited time. Then they take it away.
storewanderer

Re: Taco Bell Crispy Chicken Tacos

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:54 pm They brought back the crispy chicken tacos. Taco Bell seems to release good items, but only for a limited time. Then they take it away.
I see they have this again but I am not sure if it is the same chicken or wrap.

The Reno Taco Bells, all outside of zip code 89506 which are run by franchisee DRG Food, are pricing this at "online exclusive price" of $2.79 on the website. All other Taco Bells including those inside Reno zip code 89506 (different franchisee...), and the Lake Tahoe ones (3 different franchisees...), are pricing this at $2.00 "online exclusive price."

$2.79 is a terrible value for this item. $2 was pushing it before but now is about right.

I guess DRG Food needs some extra profits. They could start by keeping their locations consistently open during meal periods and not closing at random days/times, and being completely inconsistent on if the lobby is open or closed. Maybe that would help them serve more customers so they would not have to resort to not participating in promotions like the $2 Crispy Chicken Taco, due to profitability issues. Pathetic state of operations for a 300+ unit franchisee. They have the resources to do better.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The pricing is terrible at that franchise. They are only driving away their customers to the competition.

There is buy one get one free deal August 1 to August 14, for Chicken Tacos.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 27th, 2022, 5:07 pm The pricing is terrible at that franchise. They are only driving away their customers to the competition.

There is buy one get one free deal August 1 to August 14, for Chicken Tacos.
They kept the $1 and $2 menu for a long time, only recently they escalated those prices.

Seems like pricing is rising very rapidly at these places. I think chicken pricing is also headed way up. Might be time to focus more value related promotions on bean products. I don't think bean pricing is up too much.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

This sounds good. I really liked when DQ had those crispy chicken wraps, offered as either one of their (at the time) $5 meals, or offered separately. Wish they still had them.

I have mostly given up on Taco Bell due to their price increases. Their prices are too high IMO and I'd like to see them going back to offering combos. They need to go back to offering Dorritos again as the only other option for a side is to order their nacho chips which comes far more expensive.

Back in 2012-15 era they offered Meal Deals where you got a drink, bag of Doritos and a burrito for $2 something. I used to go through around once a week in the evening and sometimes would order an additional burrito with the combo. I think they dropped the meal deals in 2017 or so (it was around the time the new location was built here).

Seems crazy to think about getting that much food for the price now.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I totally remember the Doritos. Doritos are so much better than the tasteless chips that Taco Bell uses now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: July 6th, 2022, 3:04 pm This sounds good. I really liked when DQ had those crispy chicken wraps, offered as either one of their (at the time) $5 meals, or offered separately. Wish they still had them.

I have mostly given up on Taco Bell due to their price increases. Their prices are too high IMO and I'd like to see them going back to offering combos. They need to go back to offering Dorritos again as the only other option for a side is to order their nacho chips which comes far more expensive.

Back in 2012-15 era they offered Meal Deals where you got a drink, bag of Doritos and a burrito for $2 something. I used to go through around once a week in the evening and sometimes would order an additional burrito with the combo. I think they dropped the meal deals in 2017 or so (it was around the time the new location was built here).

I still think the Wendys 4 for 4 is a very solid deal, it only offers the Junior Cheeseburger now (pickle/onion/mustard/ketchup). The irony is I'd also be happy enough with a 3 for $4 (take away the chicken nuggets) at this point. Supposedly the sauce pack that comes with the nuggets costs about .20 to the Wendys location, not sure how much each nugget costs but guessing it isn't much but still likely a food cost in the .65 range when you figure in the 4 nuggets, sauce, and container.

Taco Bell still had some kind of $5 Craving Box last summer that included a drink, some sort of flower-looking burrito or quesadilla type of thing, another value type burrito, and a side item as I recall. It may have been an online order only offer. I recall when I ordered it the value of the flower-looking burrito item alone was priced on the menu at around $4.59.

Currently Taco Bell has a $2 (or $2.29 or $2.49) Chicken Burrito on its value menu that I find to be quite good. The only odd thing is they put lettuce into it then put it into the griller/steamer thing. Also half of the time it seems to be missing the tortilla chip strips. But it is always very good.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

storewanderer wrote: July 6th, 2022, 11:51 pm
cjd wrote: July 6th, 2022, 3:04 pm This sounds good. I really liked when DQ had those crispy chicken wraps, offered as either one of their (at the time) $5 meals, or offered separately. Wish they still had them.

I still think the Wendys 4 for 4 is a very solid deal, it only offers the Junior Cheeseburger now (pickle/onion/mustard/ketchup). The irony is I'd also be happy enough with a 3 for $4 (take away the chicken nuggets) at this point. Supposedly the sauce pack that comes with the nuggets costs about .20 to the Wendys location, not sure how much each nugget costs but guessing it isn't much but still likely a food cost in the .65 range when you figure in the 4 nuggets, sauce, and container.

Taco Bell still had some kind of $5 Craving Box last summer that included a drink, some sort of flower-looking burrito or quesadilla type of thing, another value type burrito, and a side item as I recall. It may have been an online order only offer. I recall when I ordered it the value of the flower-looking burrito item alone was priced on the menu at around $4.59.

Currently Taco Bell has a $2 (or $2.29 or $2.49) Chicken Burrito on its value menu that I find to be quite good. The only odd thing is they put lettuce into it then put it into the griller/steamer thing. Also half of the time it seems to be missing the tortilla chip strips. But it is always very good.
I agree, I will get that $4 for 4 once in a while even though it's now only cheeseburger.

I remember that Cravings box, it was a 6 sided quesadilla with it if I remember right.

They still offer a $5 breakfast box, which includes a sausage and cheese quesadilla, a hash brown, 2 Cinnabon delights and a fountain drink (or Cinnabon coffee).

They also offer a $5 lunch/dinner cravings box still, but instead of the quesadilla, you choose a chalupa or crunch wrap, a second burrito or taco, a side (nacho chips and cheese, cinnamon twists, or cheesy potatoes and a drink).
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Cravings Box is still available through the Taco Bell app, and at the locations near here the price seems to vary from $5.49 to $5.99. At the Snohomish Taco Bell near here the box is $5.49 and the Crunchwrap Supreme itself is priced at $5.69 which is more than the whole box (other options include the Cheesy Gordita Crunch and Chalupa Supreme at $4.79 each, or a Black Bean Chalupa Supreme at $3.69) then the box also includes a choice of a Beefy 5-layer Burrito ($3.59), Bean Burrito ($2.39), Doritos Locos Taco ($2.59) or regular taco ($2.19 for either crunchy or soft) or the Spicy Potato Soft Taco for a vegetarian option ($1.79). Then the box also includes a side (Fiesta Potatoes, chips and nacho cheese or cinnamon twists, each $1.79-1.89) and a small drink $2.29) so ordering the most expensive options in this box ala carte would cost $13.46 at regular menu prices.

That said, depending on which location you go to the prices seem to vary quite a bit, even from locations in the same general vicinity. The prices above seem to be common to restaurants run by the Pacific Bells franchisee (which operates most of the Taco Bells here and has over 260 locations total in nine states) and locations run by other franchisees can vary quite a bit. For example at the North Marysville Taco Bell on 116th Street the price of the Cravings Box is $5.99, but most of the individual menu items are cheaper by quite a bit (the Crunchwrap is $5.29, the individual bean burritos are $1.99, soft tacos are $1.89 and crunchy tacos are $1.79.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think many of those NW Taco Bells that are under Pacific used to be corporate units. The corporate units probably had minimum pricing and it seems like whenever these franchisees take sites over from the corporate, they do an immediate 10-20% price increase.

Those prices sound way too high for Taco Bell but I also wonder if the pricing at Taco Time Northwest is part of the reason why. Taco Time Northwest is priced similarly high. It may just be great marketing, but my perception is the quality of ingredient at Taco Time Northwest is much higher than Taco Bell and it strikes me as being worth a higher price.