Amazon to include 1 year of free GrubHub delivery in Prime membership

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Amazon to include 1 year of free GrubHub delivery in Prime membership

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://komonews.com/news/business/amaz ... or-members

Amazon is offering Prime members a free year of GrubHub premium with their membership as a result of a deal with their parent company that allows the option for Amazon to purchase as much as a 15% stake in GrubHub if certain performance targets are met. Food delivery is one of the many failed business experiments Amazon has tried over the years, and GrubHub is currently a distant third in food delivery market share behind Doordash and Uber Eats with about a 11% market share.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Amazon to include 1 year of free GrubHub delivery in Prime membership

Post by J-Man »

I'm not big on having food delivered, but since this was free I thought I'd sign up for it. It seems like most of the restaurants in my area have very low GrubHub delivery charges anyway (many are 99 cents, and most are under $2.) So I can't see how this free delivery/Grubhub+ thing represents much of a deal--certainly not at the regular price of $10/mo. You'd have to be ordering pretty regularly to make that worthwhile. I guess there are people who do that, but how many?
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Probably more than you think. College students, busy parents, millennials who don't know how to cook, etc. I know people who order food delivery multiple times a week.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: July 29th, 2022, 12:06 am Probably more than you think. College students, busy parents, millennials who don't know how to cook, etc. I know people who order food delivery multiple times a week.
There is a huge audience for food delivery. I see food delivery pickups taking place almost every time I go to any restaurant, including fast food just for a take out myself. I would not consider food delivery for a variety of reasons but the frequent users of food delivery love the service and will keep using it with frequency; they have their reasons; no vehicle, difficult to get out of location (like a college student stuck on campus), laziness, sick, difficulty getting around, etc.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

In my experience, just about the only times I've ever used Uber Eats was when I was traveling for business and staying at a hotel with no car and sparse nearby food options aside from the extremely overpriced hotel food. When I'm at home there's almost never been a time when I could justify the extra cost of delivery over just going and picking it up myself.