Cracker Barrel closes Portland Jantzen Beach location

bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Cracker Barrel closes Portland Jantzen Beach location

Post by bryceleinan »

From KGW... Security issues prompt abrupt closure of Jantzen Beach Cracker Barrel

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 67d8b47723

My mom and I were just in the area last week, and contemplated going to this store, and the armed security outside the adjacent Duluth Trading Co recommended we go elsewhere due to the crime in the area. Also heard from another location that they’re closing most of the Oregon stores early due to staffing and safety issues.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Cracker Barrel closes Portland Jantzen Beach location

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Unless it's a warning sign of sorts,this can be considered an anomaly.They only entered Sacramento within the past 5 years(one location on Howe and another in the Rocklin/Loomis Walmart center).

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

I would venture that Cracker Barrel, being a mostly rural/wealthy suburban chain, just doesn’t have the patience and experience to deal with these issues. Not saying the issues don’t exist, but given the large amount of chains on the island and continued opening of new chains, it certainly isn’t dying, at least not yet.

The other four locations in Oregon are far away from any “safety” concerns. If that is true, they’re exiting due to sales but using politics as a scapegoat. I also have seen rumors that the union word was being thrown around this location. There could be a statewide union push that’s spooking them (or making their business outlook feel “unsafe”)

Jantzen Beach was never in a very desirable place to begin with. Until recently, downtown Vancouver was not desirable (the overall redevelopment along the waterfront is excellent) and the north end of Portland has always been rough (quite a few parts especially around Mississippi Ave are significantly better than they once were). If Oregon ever were to toy with a sales tax, Jantzen Beach would clear out. It really is only kept alive by Washingtonians looking to save 10% on large purchases.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

lake52 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 7:46 pm I would venture that Cracker Barrel, being a mostly rural/wealthy suburban chain, just doesn’t have the patience and experience to deal with these issues. Not saying the issues don’t exist, but given the large amount of chains on the island and continued opening of new chains, it certainly isn’t dying, at least not yet.

The other four locations in Oregon are far away from any “safety” concerns. If that is true, they’re exiting due to sales but using politics as a scapegoat. I also have seen rumors that the union word was being thrown around this location. There could be a statewide union push that’s spooking them (or making their business outlook feel “unsafe”)

Jantzen Beach was never in a very desirable place to begin with. Until recently, downtown Vancouver was not desirable (the overall redevelopment along the waterfront is excellent) and the north end of Portland has always been rough (quite a few parts especially around Mississippi Ave are significantly better than they once were). If Oregon ever were to toy with a sales tax, Jantzen Beach would clear out. It really is only kept alive by Washingtonians looking to save 10% on large purchases.
Jantzeñ Beach us likely done if the Interstate Bridge project happens. As I understand it, the interchange on Hayden Island would go away and access would be from a separate bridge heading north from Marine Drive. If that happens, few will go shopping at Jantzeñ Beach.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The other issue may be there are so many better local places to go eat in Portland...

I think Cracker Barrel would do better in Eastern Washington. I do not see them doing overly well on the I-5 corridor in OR/WA. They need higher volumes than the typical Dennys/IHOP due to their larger size. The higher operating costs probably are not helping either.

Not ignoring that Portland has some major issues with crime and other incidents and the center of it is unrecognizable from 5 years ago..

Downtown Vancouver has been on the upswing for the past 20 years. I enjoy staying there when I visit Portland. It definitely is nicer with more to offer now than the first time I stayed down there.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

As far as I can tell there are no Cracker Barrel locations in Washington at all, although there are 4 remaining in Oregon, and one in Coeur d'Alene not far from Spokane. I could see spots where a couple of these could go around Moses Lake or Ellensburg on the I-90 corridor, or possibly around the Tri-Cities on I-82, but I'm guessing Washington is too blue for their liking.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 10th, 2022, 11:10 pm As far as I can tell there are no Cracker Barrel locations in Washington at all, although there are 4 remaining in Oregon, and one in Coeur d'Alene not far from Spokane. I could see spots where a couple of these could go around Moses Lake or Ellensburg on the I-90 corridor, or possibly around the Tri-Cities on I-82, but I'm guessing Washington is too blue for their liking.
I just think there are a lot of better options in OR/WA...

Cracker Barrel is trying to expand out west for some reason. I'm not entirely sure why. I guess they ran out of other places to expand. Their food isn't nearly as good as it used to be either. I'd have been excited to see them expand out here 15-20 years ago. Now, it is a nothing deal for me, as their product has gone downhill over the years. Meanwhile many local places have opened all over.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 10th, 2022, 11:10 pm I'm guessing Washington is too blue for their liking.
You do have that statewide minimum wage indexed to inflation, no "tipping credit" . . . but so does the Portland area.

There are armed guards posted at Duluth Trading Co now?!? Things have really changed at 'the beach.'
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

SamSpade wrote: August 11th, 2022, 1:31 am [quote="Brian Lutz" post_id=39119 time=<a href="tel:1660198230">1660198230</a> user_id=73]
I'm guessing Washington is too blue for their liking.
You do have that statewide minimum wage indexed to inflation, no "tipping credit" . . . but so does the Portland area.

There are armed guards posted at Duluth Trading Co now?!? Things have really changed at 'the beach.'
[/quote]

Yes, armed guards. It’s changed a lot in the area. My mom (a native Oregonian) shopped there in the 70’s, and it was nothing like what it is today, which is something that the people at Duluth mentioned. I will say that the parking lot of CB was pretty barren, and that was at noon-ish.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: August 10th, 2022, 10:21 pm
lake52 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 7:46 pm I would venture that Cracker Barrel, being a mostly rural/wealthy suburban chain, just doesn’t have the patience and experience to deal with these issues. Not saying the issues don’t exist, but given the large amount of chains on the island and continued opening of new chains, it certainly isn’t dying, at least not yet.

Jantzeñ Beach us likely done if the Interstate Bridge project happens. As I understand it, the interchange on Hayden Island would go away and access would be from a separate bridge heading north from Marine Drive. If that happens, few will go shopping at Jantzeñ Beach.
If I remember right, the old Montgomery Ward at Jantzen Beach was close to the top in appliance sales due to the sales tax factor. Jantzen Beach is kinda risky right now because of the bridge replacement which has yet to be finalized. But that didn't stop Floor & Decor from demolishing the Safeway and building a new store, which could potentially be in the path of a new bridge depending on the layout...

As for Cracker Barrel, maybe they should try opening in a smaller town that lacks good restaurant options nearby. Longview-Kelso and Centralia-Chehalis come to mind.