Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by BillyGr »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 10:41 pm
Romr123 wrote:Went to the location in Brattleboro, VT (in-line at a strip center next to a Market32/Price Chopper). Mid-afternoon on Saturday. Extremely busy pharmacy (at least 3 people working in the pharmacy) though rest of store was not hugely busy. Very friendly service; had completed their grocery reset. Big sign on window "Welcome Brattleboro Clinic customers"...not sure what that was all about.
I remember reading that the Brattleboro Rite Aid bought the pharmacy files of the independent Brattleboro Pharmacy.

https://www.reformer.com/local-news/rit ... d50df.html

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Makes sense!
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote: August 21st, 2022, 10:28 pm I think we would need to see the store in Tacoma to understand if they are just doing a pharmacy remodel or if there is more going on.

If they are consolidating stores they may need a larger pharmacy. The legacy Payless Stores and Thrifty Stores (so Pay N Save there) had pharmacies that are, by today's standards, quite small, when you factor in the pharmacies are higher volume today and performing more services that need more work areas (vaccines, etc.). The RA1s even had a somewhat small pharmacy but the small size was made up for by a good layout and workflow. The pharmacies Rite Aid built in the prototype Mary Sammons designed were the nicest pharmacies.
The Tacoma store in question would be the 7041 Pacific location in the South End neighborhood.It's a blue awning RA-1 that has been remodeled into the Customer World decor though it has received fixtures associated with the first version of the Wellness decor and has since lost the blue awnings once it received new exterior logo signs.The remodel appears to be only getting started according to the posting in the RAD investor reddit.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

https://flushingpost.com/rite-aid-on-37 ... n-to-close

Another pending NYC closure, this being in Queens.Also,at the annual shareholders meeting according to the Rite Aid investors Reddit,25 additional closures are planned before the holidays including a couple recent closures that already occurred(prays Long Beach Naples was that last California closure).

► Show Spoiler

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: August 25th, 2022, 8:15 am https://flushingpost.com/rite-aid-on-37 ... n-to-close

Another pending NYC closure, this being in Queens.Also,at the annual shareholders meeting according to the Rite Aid investors Reddit,25 additional closures are planned before the holidays including a couple recent closures that already occurred(prays Long Beach Naples was that last California closure).

The staffing situation you describe has been happening in Truckee for a while. Over a year.

Gardnerville store hired some new employees in the past couple weeks but still needs pharmacists... maybe Save Mart will help them out. Nearest Save Mart is about 15 miles from there though so might be too far.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Missed this. They are not moving forward with the regional hubs and still have various of IT and Operations at or near the old HQ.
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/08/r ... -hubs.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

If you can find one, the Thrifty die cast truck at 6.99 is absolutely a great collectors item. I assume it is only at stores with an ice cream counter and each store received 6 of them.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:If you can find one, the Thrifty die cast truck at 6.99 is absolutely a great collectors item. I assume it is only at stores with an ice cream counter and each store received 6 of them.
I saw we got our batch but I didn't initially notice since someone else merchandised them in the regular die-cast facing in the toys/pet care aisle.It just happened that one was tossed aside one recent night in the school/office/housewares/magazine aisle(closer to the registers than the other aisle which is one of the back aisles that are in actual use at 5409 sunrise since half the back aisles are partitioned for a warehouse extension,most of the used aisles are on the pharmacy side save for one on the groceries aisle on the coolers/photo side for the purpose of restroom access).

With the closures upped again to 170 from the previous figure of 145(which was initially 63), hopefully few if any of the additional 25(announced at the shareholders meeting)will be on this side of the Rockies.I suspect at least a few of the new closures began after the independence holiday (i.e., Long Beach Naples).I know our dire staffing disaster won't solve itself overnight, but it still feels like there are more questions than answers.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: August 27th, 2022, 11:09 am

With the closures upped again to 170 from the previous figure of 145(which was initially 63), hopefully few if any of the additional 25(announced at the shareholders meeting)will be on this side of the Rockies.I suspect at least a few of the new closures began after the independence holiday (i.e., Long Beach Naples).I know our dire staffing disaster won't solve itself overnight, but it still feels like there are more questions than answers.

I keep forgetting they expanded the number of closures, or was passively trying not to acknowledge it...

We will know very shortly what is happening with South Lake Tahoe given the lease runs out soon. The store looks a bit cleaner and better stocked than before. They sold down virtually all of their summer items so those aisles are completely empty but I understand that. Ice cream is still closed and restrooms are still closed. Staffing seems to be at skeleton levels but the store is open every day until 8 PM and pharmacy is open 7 days a week. The cashier is alone up front and has a walkie talkie to communicate with whoever the other employee on duty is (must be some safety concerns). Only one self checkout is operating but given how few customers they have that seems to work out okay. If someone is checking out with the cashier and a second customer walks up they just use the self checkout and don't have to wait. They have installed small locking cases in some aisles for some items also, these are new, and I have not seen these at any of the other rural stores. They are on somewhat random items; Tide Pods, some OTC stuff, yet none in cosmetics or spots like the Olay where I'd expect them. I am guessing whatever the items were are items that were being stolen and as they went through fixing on hand quantities to try to get this store restocked they found some surprises.

Also the surplus real estate list has been updated. I think there may be some new closures in WA.
https://www.riteaid.com/content/dam/rit ... isting.pdf
Not sure what they were doing with a 61,000 square foot office in El Dorado Hills, but I see that lease ends 9/2022 anyway. That was not on the surplus list previously. Appears it may have been Envision RX/Elixir.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

That surplus office space in El Dorado Hills(listed for months)is off of Latrobe Road well south of US 50 in a lower density and/or slow developing area and may have well been inherited from Envision RX/Elixir.I do recall before the fall of Martin Grass that a store site was secured at an undisclosed location in El Dorado Hills though it obviously was one of many sites that got mothballed/never built in the wake of the accounting irregularities,other mothballed sites were on either corner of the west side of the Mack/Franklin intersection(A Walgreens sits on NWC,Family Dollar on the SWC)as well as pursued then aborted relocations of some since closed stores(Rancho Cordova/2868 Zinfandel which was nominally sold to Longs in fall 1999 but wasn't retained as a going concern by the latter,San Jose/6164 Bollinger which closed after the 2018 holiday season,and 5712 Folsom which closed this past spring).

As for Washington state,I suspect Blaine(owned property listed for sale)was a Payless/Pay-n-Save legacy store that was replaced by the current standalone location.The dark lease on the downtown Bellevue store(one of the earliest of the initial planned closures)expires on Halloween.Also,certain subleases of Payless-Pay-n-Save legacy properties(presumably downsized as part of Wellness remodels)expire next year(Auburn/1231 Auburn Way North,Omak).
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

EnvisionRX was founded by Kevin Nagle, a native Sacramentan who now is a big investor in Sacramento sports teams among other things after selling to Rite Aid. This is their old HQ being put up for lease, I’d imagine they went 100% remote / downsized.