Bashas & Food Network

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Bashas & Food Network

Post by SamSpade »

This summer's season of "Supermarket Stakeout" was filmed almost exclusively at Bashas' market locations in the Phoenix suburbs and later Tucson.

Other than the obvious cost savings to the production company (covid) for moving from SoCal or NY unionized/regulated TV/Film production markets, I am curious what benefit this brought Bashas'? Did it really bring more shoppers to their stores? I suppose they are paid some money toward reduced parking space, logistics, etc.

There have been episodes at Fry's (Marketplace) in the past, which got some of those Kroger O&O products in front of cameras (SImple Truth) as well as allowed for more of the "gimmick" element of people buying non-food items.
storewanderer

Re: Bashas & Food Network

Post by storewanderer »

Are they using the TopCo Food Club/Full Circle items? Maybe TopCo has something to do with this.

I don't see how it benefits Bashas. Maybe since there are fewer customers in the store it is less of a difficulty to film there vs. a Fry's as the Fry's Stores tend to be so busy.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Bashas’ is non-union while Fry’s is union…that may be the difference.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Speaking of Bashas' it looks like they closed another store (part of it's roof collapsed on August 4 but the store was already scheduled to close on September 17).

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/04/par ... re-peoria/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: September 26th, 2022, 3:32 pm Speaking of Bashas' it looks like they closed another store (part of it's roof collapsed on August 4 but the store was already scheduled to close on September 17).

I wonder if any other stores closed. Isn't this the first closure since Raleys took over?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: September 26th, 2022, 10:41 pm
arizonaguy wrote: September 26th, 2022, 3:32 pm Speaking of Bashas' it looks like they closed another store (part of it's roof collapsed on August 4 but the store was already scheduled to close on September 17).

I wonder if any other stores closed. Isn't this the first closure since Raleys took over?
I believe it's the first closure under the Bashas' banner since Raleys took over. I believe a few Food CIty locations have closed (1 may have been just before the takeover in Tempe and another after the takeover in Douglas). The stated reason for this closure was a lease non-renewal. I'm going to assume that this store was about 20 years old and was built in an area that may have been overbuilt for supermarkets. There's a Sprout's 1 mile west of this store and a Fry's 1 mile south. There also used to be an Albertsons 1 mile south but it closed and became an Asian supermarket Lee Lee Oriental market. About 7 years ago Walmart built a Neighborhood Market on the SE corner of the same intersection as this store and I thought it would've been the kiss of death at that time but the Bashas' remained open and was renovated.

Bashas' has really become a very minor player in the Phoenix / Tucson metro areas these days with almost no growth and seemingly a closure or two every year or two (after the massive closures of about 20 - 30 stores during 2008 / 2009). I don't know what Raley's strategy is here. AJ's seems to be doing fairly well but the rest of the business (Bashas' and Food CIty) is just coasting buy with no growth, uncompetitive prices, and an older store fleet.

What's interesting is that Fry's and Safeway have resumed opening new stores in the Phoenix area. I believe Fry's has / will open 2-3 stores this year and Safeway 1-2.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Reservation stores (Dine Market) and Small Town stores, plus Food City is the dominant Hispanic-oriented chain in Arizona.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So far I see zero effort to bring any Basha ideas into Raley's.

"Food City" could be a real shot in the arm to the Reno Sak N Save or the Stockton Food Source but Raleys keeps those two stores going in absolutely pitiful shape.

AJ's format also strikes me as one they could try and grow in NorCal but not seeing it. Raley's seems to have its head stuck too far up somewhere with this "Raley's ONE" format and their absolute refusal to stop trying to cram it down people's throats; now that the new build in Roseville is supposedly doing somewhat well (wonder if it is turning a profit) I am afraid it is causing them to continue to have a very clouded vision as to what the future of the ONE format should be (the format should be eliminated). If ONE flopped in Roseville, I think they would finally shelve this money pit format that so many customers hate.

Meanwhile as long as Raley's keeps this up with this ONE format, Safeway has a very bright future in NorCal.