Red Robin adds Donato's pizza to the menu

Alpha8472

Re: Red Robin adds Donato's pizza to the menu

Post by Alpha8472 »

The bottomless fries is being advertised like crazy in online ads. They probably make the fries so bad that you don't want a refill. They are worried that giving out too many fries might bankrupt them.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

I'm a fan of Red Robin and have been eating there for a number of years. Their burgers are good and the price point and quality is enough above fast food to make it worth the extra money but it isn't so much that you feel it isn't worth it. With that said, I agree with Alpha8472 that since they have been promoting the bottomless fries the quality has gone downhill. What I have received recently has been overly greasy, overcooked and/or limp like they have been sitting around too long. The notion of unlimited free fries is keeping people from ordering other items on the menu. If you are still hungry after your burger and initial order of fries why buy something else when I can get more and more fries? Oh and my opinion of the Donato's pizza is that it tastes good when it is hot. But as it cools down and certainly when you are eating it the next day it tastes like very average frozen pizza. I too wonder what type of oven they are using to cook the pizza. Does Donato's have a specific oven or do they just want you to cook the pizza in whatever you have?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I have yet to try the Donato's Pizza, there's just too much else on the menu I'd rather eat. In general I think the fries are OK, but there seems to be a lot more smaller pieces mixed in lately.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:12 pm I have yet to try the Donato's Pizza, there's just too much else on the menu I'd rather eat. In general I think the fries are OK, but there seems to be a lot more smaller pieces mixed in lately.
If you like a thin crust/soft pizza without much in the way of toppings and a slightly spicier sauce this one fits the bill. I guess it is on level with a frozen pizza but somehow tastes better than that (for one thing the crust is very soft). For someone who likes a thick crust, loaded with toppings pizza, this is absolutely not it. Almost more like a flatbread item. I can see why they market it as an appetizer. I would suggest picking one up with the free with $10 purchase promotion that ends either this month or next month and reheating at home (air fryer worked well for the reheat).

On another note cannot believe they charge 8.99 for the Mud Pie dessert now.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The upscale burger cycle seems over. Adding pizza to a burger place's menu might be a good thing, but adding Food Court pizza probably isn't a good idea.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tried to claim another free pizza. Was told they were out of cheese, so no pizza is available for a couple days. Asked about getting the pizza without cheese and was told they did not prep dough since they did not have cheese. I know there are supply chain issues but...
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Yet they had cheese for the burgers?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 12:43 am Yet they had cheese for the burgers?
Yes. Different products are used. Different cheese type for pizza (different blend, and shredded). Burgers use pre-sliced cheese of different flavors than would go on the pizzas.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They probably just claim they have no cheese so that they don't have to make and give out free pizzas.