Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:15 pm So far,the Hispanic food planogram hasn't yet been set up.The spice area in the pantry aisle remains empty and big win spices remain merchandised in the 'dollar shop' aisle where certain items have had their price points doubled to $2.We recently took in several transferred employees and are gradually playing catch-up on merchandise resets(only recently did receive a new fashion accessories set only have it now go on clearance).I must note that both 5712 Folsom and Roseville pleasant Grove both now have Spirit Halloween pop-ups.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Gardnerville fully set Hispanic food (so did South Lake Tahoe) and has the spices in both the regular food aisle and the dollar location (didn't see spices in South Lake Tahoe dollar location). Many weeks the food items that had a price increase to $2 seem to go on sale for $1 again (but other non food $1 items that were price increased to $2 stay at $2 those weeks). I am guessing they are trying to move the food before it expires. I also noticed they finally got some new pretzels in the dollar location.

I assume they still hold the leases on 5712 Folsom and on Pleasant Grove. I guess Pleasant Grove (like Cameron Park and like Tracy) must have been bleeding money and it is a shame to see those newer model stores all closed. At least the newer model stores in Olivehurst (new), Magalia (new), Paradise (relocation), and Gridley (relocation) are surviving but I'm not sure any one of them ever received a Wellness remodel.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote:
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:15 pm So far,the Hispanic food planogram hasn't yet been set up.The spice area in the pantry aisle remains empty and big win spices remain merchandised in the 'dollar shop' aisle where certain items have had their price points doubled to $2.We recently took in several transferred employees and are gradually playing catch-up on merchandise resets(only recently did receive a new fashion accessories set only have it now go on clearance).I must note that both 5712 Folsom and Roseville pleasant Grove both now have Spirit Halloween pop-ups.

Gardnerville fully set Hispanic food (so did South Lake Tahoe) and has the spices in both the regular food aisle and the dollar location (didn't see spices in South Lake Tahoe dollar location). Many weeks the food items that had a price increase to $2 seem to go on sale for $1 again (but other non food $1 items that were price increased to $2 stay at $2 those weeks). I am guessing they are trying to move the food before it expires. I also noticed they finally got some new pretzels in the dollar location.

I assume they still hold the leases on 5712 Folsom and on Pleasant Grove. I guess Pleasant Grove (like Cameron Park and like Tracy) must have been bleeding money and it is a shame to see those newer model stores all closed. At least the newer model stores in Olivehurst (new), Magalia (new), Paradise (relocation), and Gridley (relocation) are surviving but I'm not sure any one of them ever received a Wellness remodel.
Also there are surviving customer world stores in Sacramento:4241 Marconi,1309 Fulton,and Galt all remain open(Roseville square and 4830 j also opened during this era but in existing buildings).

Also,while recent pictures posted on Google maps and Yelp seem to be focused on the hand dip counter,it appears that Camarillo (likely a former payless based on the presence of a disused garden center)may have been the first California unit remodeled into the 'whole health' decor.

EDIT:While Google maps is somewhat self contradictory (alongside outdated street view shots),the Camarillo RAD apparently has recently downsize relocated within the same parent center (http://www.camarillovillagesquare.com) adjacent to sprouts with the Payless building(had wellness 2.0 decor at the end)now occupied by a Ross.

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

The Pleasant Grove store was extremely difficult to access. A very busy intersection, no left turns, and only one safe entry point (the other one requires cutting off vehicles trying to merge onto Roseville Pkwy).

There is a Walmart, Safeway, Sam’s Club, and CVS within a half mile of that location. All of which have pharmacies, longer hours, better prices, better access, and were around before the Rite Aid. They also would have to be passed to get to the Rite Aid by any residential in the area.

The tenant mix in that center also drove 0 traffic. It is mainly an Armed Forces Recruiting Center with a revolving door restaurant space.

All around, I don’t know who thought thay center was a good idea. There is not a single retailer that would intelligently take that space… it should be bulldozed and turned into housing.

It should be noted that Paul Petrovich owned 3 buildings that Rite Aid leased (Alhambra, K St, and this one). It wouldn’t surprise me if his notorious attitude led to Rite Aid pulling the plug on the entire relationship.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

lake52 wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:24 pm The Pleasant Grove store was extremely difficult to access. A very busy intersection, no left turns, and only one safe entry point (the other one requires cutting off vehicles trying to merge onto Roseville Pkwy).

There is a Walmart, Safeway, Sam’s Club, and CVS within a half mile of that location. All of which have pharmacies, longer hours, better prices, better access, and were around before the Rite Aid. They also would have to be passed to get to the Rite Aid by any residential in the area.

The tenant mix in that center also drove 0 traffic. It is mainly an Armed Forces Recruiting Center with a revolving door restaurant space.

All around, I don’t know who thought thay center was a good idea. There is not a single retailer that would intelligently take that space… it should be bulldozed and turned into housing.

It should be noted that Paul Petrovich owned 3 buildings that Rite Aid leased (Alhambra, K St, and this one). It wouldn’t surprise me if his notorious attitude led to Rite Aid pulling the plug on the entire relationship.
The city of Roseville is partly at fault:From what I heard from old colleagues during the 7900 Arcadia era of my tenure,what was orignally planned as a high visibility standalone RAD became a strip mall under pressure from the city's planning commission.Until the Blue Oaks Walgreens was built a few years back,the city was apparently biased against standalone drugstore buildings.The Fiddyment CVS(opened a decade ago)has a small storefront or two attached to it.The Foothills Walgreens(among the earliest modern locations in Sacramento since they reentered the market in late 1997)is in a standalone building with corner visibility but has some smaller storefronts separated by driveways.The Sunrise 'Longs Museum' in Sunrise Pointe is freestanding but itself is not clearly visible from the intersection due to a couple interceding strip buildings(only the Starbucks has corner visibility).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 21st, 2022, 10:32 pm
lake52 wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:24 pm The Pleasant Grove store was extremely difficult to access. A very busy intersection, no left turns, and only one safe entry point (the other one requires cutting off vehicles trying to merge onto Roseville Pkwy).

The city of Roseville is partly at fault:From what I heard from old colleagues during the 7900 Arcadia era of my tenure,what was orignally planned as a high visibility standalone RAD became a strip mall under pressure from the city's planning commission.Until the Blue Oaks Walgreens was built a few years back,the city was apparently biased against standalone drugstore buildings.The Fiddyment CVS(opened a decade ago)has a small storefront or two attached to it.The Foothills Walgreens(among the earliest modern locations in Sacramento since they reentered the market in late 1997)is in a standalone building with corner visibility but has some smaller storefronts separated by driveways.The Sunrise 'Longs Museum' in Sunrise Pointe is freestanding but itself is not clearly visible from the intersection due to a couple interceding strip buildings(only the Starbucks has corner visibility).
You raise good points. That Pleasant Grove Rite Aid was basically only useful for people "on the way home" in the correct lane. And you had to plan ahead to get into the right lane to turn into the store. There were trees behind the store as you approached it making it hard to see the store from a distance as you approached it. And then to leave the store, if traffic was heavy enough getting back out onto Pleasant Grove continuing west toward "home" may be difficult. I wasn't in the store enough times to say if I felt it had any sort of operational problems but the times I went in it seemed to have some traffic and rather routine. Did not really seem to be a noticeably slow traffic store but wasn't particularly busy either. But that is kind of how most Rite Aids are. It did not strike me as a dead store but obviously it was a real loser. The lease does not expire until 2029 so I guess Petrovich is still getting paid.

Any idea what the status is on the lot behind the store? Is that land that can be developed or is it somehow restricted from development? Medical may be another good use for this intersection.

Petrovich developed most of the late 90's Rite Aid builds around Sacramento if not all of them. Which of those are still open now- Norwood... a couple in Davis... one up in Yuba City... no others are popping up for me. I guess that turned into a bit of a high failure rate. I wonder who developed Rio Linda Rite Aid; that store has strong foot traffic.

Also forgot a deluxe Customer World Store up in Woodland.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

The lot behind the store is City of Roseville open space and won’t be developed. The plot across the street is zoned commercial but will probably be reasoned to residential.

I don’t think visibility was a huge issue, the store is more visible than any of the previously mentioned retailers in the area. But it was so inconvenient to access it didn’t matter how visible it was.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 21st, 2022, 10:32 pm

You raise good points. That Pleasant Grove Rite Aid was basically only useful for people "on the way home" in the correct lane. And you had to plan ahead to get into the right lane to turn into the store. There were trees behind the store as you approached it making it hard to see the store from a distance as you approached it. And then to leave the store, if traffic was heavy enough getting back out onto Pleasant Grove continuing west toward "home" may be difficult. I wasn't in the store enough times to say if I felt it had any sort of operational problems but the times I went in it seemed to have some traffic and rather routine. Did not really seem to be a noticeably slow traffic store but wasn't particularly busy either. But that is kind of how most Rite Aids are. It did not strike me as a dead store but obviously it was a real loser. The lease does not expire until 2029 so I guess Petrovich is still getting paid.

Any idea what the status is on the lot behind the store? Is that land that can be developed or is it somehow restricted from development? Medical may be another good use for this intersection.

Petrovich developed most of the late 90's Rite Aid builds around Sacramento if not all of them. Which of those are still open now- Norwood... a couple in Davis... one up in Yuba City... no others are popping up for me. I guess that turned into a bit of a high failure rate. I wonder who developed Rio Linda Rite Aid; that store has strong foot traffic.

Also forgot a deluxe Customer World Store up in Woodland.
I didn't think too much about the poorly designed vehicular access points at pleasant Grove until now.I do know that it is a pedestrian hostile intersection where two stroads intersect.

It appears that Paul petrovich developed local rite aid stores as late as the last recession though he has since sold some of those buildings in addition to developing some Walgreens locations.Another success story is the busy Marconi store(sold off within the past year or two)which often has had parking lot roughly three quarters full.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 5:12 am The lot behind the store is City of Roseville open space and won’t be developed. The plot across the street is zoned commercial but will probably be reasoned to residential.

I don’t think visibility was a huge issue, the store is more visible than any of the previously mentioned retailers in the area. But it was so inconvenient to access it didn’t matter how visible it was.
The CVS at that intersection is a low volume CVS as well. I think the Safeway is very visible. Not sure how its pharmacy does.

Hopefully the open space will stay open space. Some promises of areas staying open space in Reno have been broken as development has continued.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:
lake52 wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 5:12 am The lot behind the store is City of Roseville open space and won’t be developed. The plot across the street is zoned commercial but will probably be reasoned to residential.

The CVS at that intersection is a low volume CVS as well. I think the Safeway is very visible. Not sure how its pharmacy does.

Hopefully the open space will stay open space. Some promises of areas staying open space in Reno have been broken as development has continued.
The Safeway is the same location that acquired the pleasant Grove prescriptions.Can't say much for that store but their pharmacy obviously got a boost.

Today Christmas toys and food were being put out which certainly will closure-proof my store for the foreseeable future.I did notice in the regular toy aisle that Astra playing cards (the de facto store brand in that category)was being clearanced out at half off(normal price is 3.09 or 3.19),we were basically the last drugstore chain with store brand playing cards as both CVS and Walgreens discontinued sich product years ago.

Also,a disturbing development in the Coachella valley (already having lost two locations this past spring as evidenced by a tweet.

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:09 am
storewanderer wrote:

The Safeway is the same location that acquired the pleasant Grove prescriptions.Can't say much for that store but their pharmacy obviously got a boost.

Today Christmas toys and food were being put out which certainly will closure-proof my store for the foreseeable future.I did notice in the regular toy aisle that Astra playing cards (the de facto store brand in that category)was being clearanced out at half off(normal price is 3.09 or 3.19),we were basically the last drugstore chain with store brand playing cards as both CVS and Walgreens discontinued sich product years ago.

Also,a disturbing development in the Coachella valley (already having lost two locations this past spring as evidenced by a tweet.

I bet that is the store that was next to the Fresh & Easy at that yucky shopping center on Hwy 111.